Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southern_2008

Wood countertop questions--random width vs equal width and stain

southern_2008
15 years ago

Hello again,

So I've been trying to decide between granite, serpentine/soapstone and wood. I have ruled out the gorgeous serpentine/soapstone because it is darker than I wanted. That being said, I think I am willing to go "darker" if my island was wood. (I love the dark walnut colors).

Okay, my question is:

My GC is talking about laminating pieces of walnut together. It would be 2" thick. The island is my main prep area (I will have two dishwashwers in it and my bigger copper sink) and my other counter space is quite limited. I love Allison's French Gray kitchen, for example. However, I believe hers is a solid piece of pine which is stained. I would have mine either natural (if it's dark enough when he brings by the sample) or stained but I am wondering if anyone else has stained butcher block? If so, how does it hold up? Also, does anyone have any pics of random width butcher block versus the even width strips? Most butcher block you see is evenly spaced.

I am especially curious on those that are darker!! Thanks!!

Comments (3)

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Southern--I posted this on the other thread about wood countertops. Don't know if you saw that post. Anyway, you might want to check out this link if you haven't already:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardwood Lumber

• allison0704
    15 years ago

fyi, my island is not a single slab of pine. The woodworkers ordered so many feet of really thick antique pine boards and put it together in their shop. I cannot see the individual pieces from above, only from the ends. It is made from 6 pieces, all about the same width. Each board runs from one end of the island to the other (no pieces)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Our island has a clear finished Douglas fir top, so it doesn't apply to most of your questions, but I had my dh make it out of different width pieces, because I didn't want them uniform. I have to say, though, that all I see is the grain, and have to look pretty hard in most spots to pick out the separate pieces. I don't think it would've made much difference in the overall look if they'd been uniform...But I'd still choose random, just in case, because I like the possible visual texture differences.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations