Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saxxy_gw

pendants over 8 1/2' eating peninsula

saxxy
15 years ago

Okay, we've got a long peninsula (11 feet total-- but 8 1/2 for eat-at area).

Does anyone have experience/ thoughts about lighting such a long run?

The question is how many pendants and of what size?

I know everyone says odd numbers are best-- can we get away with three big or should we aim for five?

The peninsula divides the kitchen from the livingroom, and will be a focal point.

Any tips on pendants would be enormously helpful.

Our house is fairly contemporary (but in a warmish way), with lots of warm wood tones.

The countertop will be honed absolute black and the entire wall beyond the peninsula (looking from the living room) is windows/sliding doors.

I'm sorry for no pics, but we are in the drywall dust phase of the remodel.

The electrician needs to rough-in the wiring and wants to know if we can use the existing track (sans current can lights) for pendants or if we need to add boxes....

Any thoughts? I am nearing the burn-out stage of staring vacant-eyed in the face of such questions...

Thank you!!!

Comments (10)

• gglks
    15 years ago

i think 3 should be fine......5 sounds like too much to me, unless they are mini pendants.

i would search for pendants you like, and then determine how many would look right. i kept thinking 3 because of the odd number rule. then i found pendants i really wanted and they were bigger than i thought.

oh....fyi, our island is about 7 1/2 ft.....

we went with 2 and it looks perfect.

hope this helps.....

• saxxy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much gglks--
    I'd love to see pics of how yours turned out.

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

Our island is about the same size and we are going with two. But we do have columns on each end, so I think if they weren't there I would have done three. I'll tell you how it looks at the end of the week!

• saxxy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, amylovesbud...
    and good luck this week!

Anyone else???

• gglks
    15 years ago

here's a few pics to see what 2 pendants look like

• nuccia
    15 years ago

I agree with gglks that the number you use depends on the style and size of lighting fixture itself; you'll need fewer lights with larger units.

How deep is your island? if it's 48" or more, one mini pendant would not have enough spread. if your counter is 24-30", then you could use mini pendants.

My island is 50" x 72" and I have 4 contemporary mini pendants in a rectangular shape.

It is an important decision; try to hold off deciding until you find the fixture you like (or at least sure of the size).

• megradek
    15 years ago

I now have the same dilemma. My island will be almost 9' by 4' and I had the electrician rough in 2 spots because I wanted a couple pretty chandeliers - and now DH has completely nixed that idea. Boo hoo hoo. I am so upset about this because it has been in my "vision" for this kitchen the whole time. So I will need to find 2 larger size pendants for the space - unless it's pretty easy to add another box later on?? We are just starting drywall so I don't know if I'll be able to change the positions/number very easily. didn't mean to take over your post!

I think that 2 pendants should be substantial (as gglks' kitchen, which by the way makes me drool everytime I see that backsplash) - what is your lighting plan for the remaining portion of the island?

• saxxy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, beautiful gglks!
    nuccia--
    Our peninsula will be 24"+15" overhang, so roughly 40" deep and will be a one level sit-at, so good light for homework/food prep, eating, etc... is important.
    mairin--
    I'm sorry to about your vision gone awry!
    The good news is that there are millions of pendants to choose from.
    We will have 6 inset lights and one middle ceiling fixture on the rest of the kitchen ceiling, but the pendants are pretty much it for the peninsula.
    The electrician wired in 3 boxes yesterday, 27" apart and gave me a catalogue of pendants since I seemed so stuck.
    I liked the ones below--
    Any thoughts as to whether they'd work?
    At 11 1/2 " wide... too small?

Here is a link that might be useful: pendant possibility

• megradek
    15 years ago

I love that pendant! I don't think it will be too small, especially for three of them. my quick math tells me it will leave about 16 inches between each?

• saxxy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mairin--
    Thanks for taking a look.
    It would leave about 15 1/2" between,
    would that be enough do you think?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH