Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reeny_gw

Cleaning anthracite silgranit

reeny
16 years ago

What do you use to clean your anthracite silgranit? Thanks.

Reeny

Comments (12)

• try_hard
    16 years ago

Mine usually didn't get very dirty. I just scrubbed it with a blue scrubby sponge and some dish soap periodically. I love the sink - it's so easy to take care of and keep clean!
    try_hard

• kompy
    16 years ago

Wipe it down with mineral oil once in a while, after cleaning.

• monroviamom
    16 years ago

Ditto to try_hard... Soapy sponge & wash down. I believe Expo sells a product designed for the silgranit, however I don't think it is necessary.

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Soapy sponge here too. It's a breeze to clean.

• many_hats
    16 years ago

The Product Information Guide that came with mine says to use either Blancoclean, Vim or Soft Scrub. In the four months I've had the sink I've used soap and water for daily cleaning and Vim about once a week including on the sink grid.

Last week I noticed the sink had a white, hazy look in places that no cleaning, scrubbing or rinsing would remove. The sink was clean but looked "dry" so on a whim I decided to rub vegetable oil all over it. It restored the lustre and has looked great ever since. I'm not sure what caused the white, hazy look to happen though.

Since kompy suggested using mineral oil I will now have a use for the bottle I bought in my quest for the perfect ss cleaner (as it didn't work for me).

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I have a black Moenstone sink and occasionally get a whitish haze from our hard water. I quick scrub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does the trick to remove it.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Wish I had as good luck as you guys - I always have white water spots unless I was to dry up the water from the sides bottom of the sink. Simple sponge + soap doesn't do it for me.

• maredog
    16 years ago

I have a Kindred granite composite sink and at first I was almost sorry I got it because of the the white residue from our hard water. I tried to see if mineral oil would be okay but I never was able to find anyone using it until this post. However, I bought Method's Daily Granite cleaner for the counter and I figured it might work and I am really happy with the sink now. It helps the water to bead up and if I use it every couple of days the sink looks great.

When you use mineral oil does it ever get sticky?

• mberry47
    16 years ago

spray vinegar on it and let it sit for a few mintues. scrub it off and rinse. i have the same sink, and that worked perfectly for me.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

FYI thought I would follow up... I have no problems with spots now. I think it was that there was so much residual dry wall dust etc for like a month after that work was done and that dust would love to find little water droplets to stick to in the sink.

• many_hats
    16 years ago

Just saw this thread again and saw that Maredog had asked about any stickiness after using mineral oil. After reading kompy's post about using mineral oil, I've been using it every couple of weeks or so. I wipe it on with a paper towel and then buff it dry with a clean paper towel and no, there isn't any residue or oilyness (?sp) of any kind--just a nice clean & shiny sink.