Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale1965

3" cabinet filler with a pullout-but next to the stove

gale1965
10 years ago

In our cabinets we will have a 3" gap (can be up to 3.5") between the slide in range and the cabinet next to it. The kitchen guy at the local home center said the usable fillers he can get have to have another cabinet on both sides of the gap and a plain filler (not usable) is the only way we can go. I'm sure I've seen narrow pull out cabinets next to stoves in pictures online. Is there one that will work for this? Our cabinets are just standard oak so matching it close shouldn't be a big problem, and they are standard size otherwise.

Comments (19)

• User
    10 years ago

All pull outs need to be between two cabinets or a cabinet and a 3/4" panel. You might try it with a 1/2" panel if your cabinet line offers that. Don't forget the filler overlay if you do try this, as that's what finishes it off and makes it be the same depth as the rest of the doors. Unless it's inset.

Or use a line that would let you add that 3" to the cabinet next to the range. That would be the best choice for usability and extra storage. Pull out fillers don't give you much usable space at all.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Most pull-outs are much narrower that the space available, for ex. a 4" pull-out for a 6" cabinet. I don't think there's enough useable space in a 3" or 3-1/2" wide space.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok thanks. We have the cabinets already-we're just moving one to accommodate the range and will have that space. We could put the cabinet right up next to the range and add something on the outer edge (which will not be against anything). I'll do some searching and see if anything is available for that. Our trash can is against that side though so open shelving wouldn't really work. we just need the filler because we're putting a 30" cabinet where there is currently a 33" cabinet.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a few ideas that I like but now I need to find out if any of these are available to order and install ourselves. I don't really want the expense of custom pieces. Here's my ideabook.
    Has anyone seen anything like this ready-made?

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet end ideas

• User
    10 years ago

Sure, my Kemper cabinets can do the message center cabinets that you show. That's not a problem. However, it's a built cabinet, not an insert, and it wouldn't match your cabinets unless you had ordered Kemper/Thomasville/Diamond. It also takes a minimum of 6" to do.

Why not just order the 33" cabinet? It sounds like the KD mismeasured here and that extra 3" would be more useful as part of a cabinet.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

I assume that you are re-using your countertop and that is part of what makes a 3" space that needs to be filled. Since that is where you want to set your trash, perhaps you could just add a 3" finished piece to the front and allow the cubby that is formed to be a semi- alcove for the trash can. Maybe there would be room to hang a paper towel holder just under the counter ?

10 years ago

I assume that you are re-using your countertop and that is part of what makes a 3" space that needs to be filled. Since that is where you want to set your trash, perhaps you could just add a 3" finished piece to the front and allow the cubby that is formed to be a semi- alcove for the trash can. Maybe there would be room to hang a paper towel holder just under the counter ?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

3" of space is not much to work with. The useable space would be 1.5", if 3/4" sides were used.

I could see something custom built to fit there that you could use for sliding cutting boards into, with maybe one fixed shelf. That would look better IMO than a 3" spacer.

10 years ago

How about a cutting board on a hinge that could pull out then swing up to be used next to the stove?

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We already have the cabinets and won't be replacing them. It's a very long story but it wasn't really anyone else's fault. It's a modular home so there was no kitchen designer involved. We are not reusing the countertop but the reason I wanted the filler is that I'm not sure if the floor will be suitable to be out in the open. The current cabinet is screwed into the wall and the floor and there's no good way to patch the floor.

Here's the short version of the long story: we had planned to use our existing cooktop and wall oven in this kitchen. I was able to look through the Merillat catalog to pick out catalogs and I relied on the specs in it to determine if our oven would fit and picked out a counter height wall oven cabinet so that we wouldn't lose any counter space. Well the oven itself fits but there is too big of a lip around the top and the only way it will fit in the cabinet is to have no countertop. That is not an option so we thought long and hard and decided we'd rather switch to a freestanding or slide-in range rather than buy a new wall oven to fit the opening (most would not-the ones that would are a lot higher). So we are buying new countertop to accommodate the opening for the range, and taking the cabinet that was in the center of the run and putting it on one end, since the wall oven cabinet isn't really useful and we have pull-out recycling cans in the center cabinet which we need in the kitchen. The wall oven cabinet is 33" and the recycling cabinet is 30. That is why we have the extra 3".

Thanks for all the ideas-I'm going to run them past my husband and see if we can come up with a solution that isn't too expensive.

by the way, I did call Merillat and explained that their specs are somewhat misleading-because it does say in the specs that the top rail needs to be removed for an oven of the largest size given would fit. I told them that all wall ovens that I've seen have a lip and removing that top rail would put the opening right up to the cabinet (something that I wasn't aware of-I thought that removing the top rail meant there would be something up there but nope). She said that made sense and that she would pass on the information. But that they couldn't do anything about it.

I'll be using the old wall oven cabinet and the old countertop in my sewing room so it's not going to be trashed or anything. I'm just not sure what to do with that extra 3" of space. IF the floor looks good under the existing cabinet I can leave it as a cubby but if there are screw holes, that area will have to be covered up. The floor is sheet vinyl so other than a patch or full replacement, there isn't a way to fix a hole. And I don't really want a patch.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant removing the top rail would put the oven right up over the countertop. The top rail is right up against the countertop so removing it wouldn't allow any room for the lip.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'm very confused, but I hope it works out for you!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

What about a nice open slot for cutting boards?

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trust me-we're confused too. In a nutshell we have to move a 30" cabinet to the space where there is a 33" cabinet now.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that's my perfect solution!! That's something we can build ourselves, and I can get veneer to make the face match our cabinets. Or use molding that is oak and varnished. I can keep my cutting boards in it and/or wire racks. Thank you for the picture!!

If there is a company that sells something like this ready made please share. We can build one if necessary but the toe kick will be a little bit of a challenge.

10 years ago

For the toe kick, perhaps it would be easy to buy ikea cabinet feet and a plinth. Or, just build a box of the dimension to make a kick space and set the 3" open shelf on it.
    The narrowest shelf that Ikea has that is similar (has removable shelves to configure as you wish) is 9", although I suppose it could be cut down. You would get more usable space by building it yourself out of narrower stock.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

If you want the maximal width just build a small floor box with the top of the box as the "floor" of your slot (where the cutting boards would rest), using the walls of the adjacent cabinets as the side wall (no additional thickness). You can put in a shelf with some small bookshelf brackets. If you buy something premade you will lose the wall depth on each side.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

That is basically what I was trying to suggest, what ctycdm posted a photo of. You can just make two boxes. The bottom box can be made out of some cheap 2x lumber, as it will be hidden when the toe kick is installed. For the visible box, you can get some 3/4" birch plywood from a home improvement store and then face the edges with some veneer or thin strips of wood that matches your cabinets. Add some 1/4" ply to make the back.