Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shef

Which 36inch low-divide sink should I get?

Shef Rav
11 years ago

Having perused this site, i see the Blanco Silgranit as a very desirable choice. However, I'm not seeing what size it is--I think it's a 33".

We are remodeling and can have any size sink we want, so we're going with 36inch.

I definitely want a low divide, so I'm getting a great deal on the Kohler Stainless steel apron front. Though not a fan of apron-front, it has everything else I guess we need.

Any other brands i should really consider? Have never had stainless--any problems? Had a cast-iron farmhouse and HATED it!! stained so easily and despise the large single basin...

Thanks!!

Comments (6)

• User
    11 years ago

33" is a standard sized sink, which fits in a standard 36" sink base.. 36" is not a standard sink, and will be difficult to find. It will also need at least a 39" sink base. The next size up standard sink is usually a triple bowl 43" sink that can fit in a 45" sink base if you can find one or a 48" if you can't. You also won't find those latter two sizes in sink bases unless you are in a higher end cabinetry line.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I have the Blanco Performa 1 3/4 Medium which has a lower divide. It is my only sink so I like have the two areas. The divide is low enough to accommodate pot/pan handles but high enough to be able to actually put a decent amount of water in either side. The sink is reversible so you can have the smaller portion on either side. The sink's overall demension is 36 x 19. I find the bowl sizes adequate for my needs. I think probably the majority of GWers favor a single bowl sink but I preferred the divided sink and the silgranite is a great choice. If you do a search on here you will find several threads on here regarding silgranite and divided vs single. If you want to see a picture of mine let me know and I will post it.

• Shef Rav
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks badgergal, i would love to see a photo. is your basin 36x19? that's pretty big! how deep is it? also, i can't figure out what material these are made from. is it composite? are they heat and stain resistant? thanks a bunch

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I love my Elkay Aquadivide SS sink. I also saw a really nice brand called, I think, Mirelle. They made both a 50/50 and a 60/40 low divide. I chose the Elkay because the Mirelles were more money than the Elkay, and the Elkay had a slightly higher divide. These were all stainless, which is a nice sink material as long as you realize it will develop tiny scratches over time. I polish mine with Barkeepers Friend and it looks great.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Actually the Blanco Performa Medium is 33 x 19 not 36 but it fits in a 36 inch sink base cabinet. The bowls are 10 inches deep and the divider is 6 inches high from the bottom of the bowl. The sinks are super stain and heat resistant.
    According to Blanco's website "Featuring an ultra-durable and cleanable surface made of 80% rock-hard granite, SILGRANIT II resists scratches, stains and heat and holds 7 patents for its advanced technology. And with 23 shapes to choose from, the SILGRANIT II collection fits more than just your style, it fits the way you live."
    There have been many posts on GW regarding silgranite sinks. I will attach one older link but if you search on google and use the terms gardenweb and blanco silgranite you will get an overload of information and lots of pictures in the various posts.
    Here is a picture of mine (sorry it's a little blurry)
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Silgranite sinks

• funnysunny
    11 years ago

We went w the low divide sink from Mr Direct. We've had it for a year now and are happy with it. No problems w the stainless, and we only use the sink grid on one side of the sink. We esp. love the deep basket strainer bc we have no garbage disposal. When we were looking for a low divide sink, we really focused on the depth of the sink and height of the low divide. We didn't want something w such a low divide it wouldn't be possible to fill up the sink w enough water to hand wash dishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Direct low divide