Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Decorated Soffits Anyone? Ideas for Them? PICS

eldemila
14 years ago

I've posted pics of the kitchen in the house we're buying next month asking other questions, there's so much to do. This question has to do with the soffits all the way up to the ceiling. Trying to keep the cabinets and work around them during the remodel and wondering what I can do with the soffits.

Without suggesting to rip them out, does anyone have these kind of soffits in their kitchen, and if so, what, if anything have you done to them in regard to decorating? I've seen only a few pics on the web, one tiled, one wallpapered, one had plates hanging from an area. Not much out there I could find.

Can anyone come up with an idea? If I kept the cabinets a wood color as you see now, could you paint the soffits the same color as the ceiling, or leave them as is, or do something else?

Any ideas, websites to look at, or pictures of your kitchen with the same would be helpful.

THANKS!

Comments (10)

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I'd leave them as they are. Decorating them just draws the eye up to them and soffits usually don't make a good focal point. If you wanted to paint them to match the ceiling, you'd have to install another piece of trim lower down, to give the paint a place to stop. Is there crown in the rest of the house? What color is it? If it's wood colored, all the more reason to leave the soffits unpainted so all the trim in the house matches.

• User
    14 years ago

I'd either leave them as they are or maybe, maybe find an inspirational saying to have made in a vinyl wall sticker. I believe this is the site my daughter has used successfully in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Words

• gabbygirl_2001
    14 years ago

Hi debelli, I had the same problem in my kitchen. I went to Lowe's and found extra wide border to put up. It is a Rooster border and I love it! I think it makes my kitchen look sooo much nicer. I will try to have my hubby help me post pics this afternoon.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thakns for the replies!

Ccoombs, it's times like this, when someone asks me a question other than myself, that I'm glad I took 136 pictures of the house! If I had to rely on my memory, I'd be in BIG trouble. There is molding all through the house, with exception to the bathrooms. In the living, dining, hallways and bedrooms, it's all white molding. In the kitchen, eat-in area, den and small hallway in between those kitchen and den, it's natural wood color, so I have both. I do like the idea of possibly putting a piece to help section the top and the bottom off.

Lukkiirish, that's a great idea too. I'll definitely check out that site, thanks for the link!

Gabby, would love to see what you did with yours, tell DH "pretty please!!!!"

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

In my 1905 kitchen I built my soffits of panels and molding to emulate the cabinet layout below.

Casey

• westsider40
    14 years ago

I'm with ccoombs. I think the wood of the cabs, soffits, and window is/are in very good shape and to me, a pretty color with nice graining. I do not much care for the curvy cornice over the window and if it were my room, I'd remove the cornice, unless you are doing a room in that era. Kind of a nod to French Provincial. The paneling, which extends to the ceiling, on the side of the cabinets, is of the same wood.

I would like plates, interesting plates, on the soffits.

You can otherwise add drama with counters, stuff, paint, floor, appliances, but if the size of the room is modest, I would keep the uniformity of the wood. And there are six shelves flanking the window for decor items. All just an opinion.

My vote is to keep the soffits in the matching wood if you are not going to color the cabinets. Good luck in your new home.

• gabbygirl_2001
    14 years ago

Hey debelli, here are a few pics of my soffit decorated with border.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just realized the reply I posted never made it on here somehow. Just wanted to make sure that I let you know that the replies were read and I thank you for your input very much!!!!

Still no solid idea though :(

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

Casey- I drool some more...

Please- what color are your kitchen cabinets?

We have honey oak, and I was thinking of doing what celticmoon did with their cabs, but perhaps not so dark (overstaining) as I think a color similar to yours would be more appropriate to the style of house/kitchen that we have as we do our designing on a dime in that room.

(Are the glass front on the right of the photo the same as the solid wood??)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Hi,
    The stain is fruitwood, toned with amber shellac. The camera decided to redden the cabinets in the foreground for some reason.
    I finished myself, and I filled the pores in the wood first, so to minimize the oak grain when stained.
    Casey