Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dd70_gw

matching metals, knobs, lights, faucets etc..

dd70
16 years ago

I am having the hardest time. cabs are an off white w/brown glaze I added the link, hope it works. Appl. SS, so is sink. I really wanted Antique copper knobs/pulls by top knobs, i think it looks great with cab. color. Im having a problem picking pendant lighting, do I have to get copper metal for the light (not the shade just the pole)? I like brushed nikel in faucet fixtures (possibly kohler vinnata), I dont know what to do, is it ok to mix and match or should I try to stick with one metal for fixtures or would it look ok with copper pulls and brushed nikl pendants and faucet......help. To give a better idea, my floors will be Braz cherry or mahogony, granite counter in brown family. I feel like giving up and I need to pick lights by tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: merillat cabinets

Comments (9)

• glad
    16 years ago

i think you can mix it; you've got enough brown tones going on for the lights/pulls/faucet to pull from, too. what granite pattern?

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I would only advise that you keep "like" items in the same family. You have enough brown to support using the pulls and fixtures, but you have SS also, which supports using silver for the faucets. Just keep the sink fixtures matching any other sinks and the knobs matching the other knobs.

I have a mix of metal finishes in my kitchen as well. My knobs are all antique pewter. I have stainless appliances and a countertop that is stainless. I have brass accents on my black enamel stove, so I have also used a brass and silver antique light in the room since I have those finishes available to play with.

I think having different finishes is more interesting anyhoo. To match it all is too matchy matchy for me :) But again, I would try to keep the like things the same (ie all knobs and pulls in one finish type, all faucets in one type, etc).

• dd70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

glad-im really not sure, at first I was going to get a quartz top in smokey topaz....then i saw all if these gorgeous kitchens here and realized I would rather have granite. I have just begun to look and only on-line, so far I like brazilian gold and cloudy yellow, any suggestions are welcome! Igloochic-so what you are saying is that as long as I keep each piece ie: all light fixtures in the same metal, all faucets in the same metal etc...that it would work?? I like the idea, it opens up the choices plus I dont want the kitchen to look too formal. I am glad I asked, this board has been very helpful to me even though I mostly just read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: cloudy yellow

• glad
    16 years ago

dd- i'm looking at gold granite, also, in similar colors to your link,after originally thinking silestone. there are so many different stones, and such varied availability at any ygiven time, that it is "sanest" to just have colosr in mind and see what tthey have when you're ready. i'm in the middle of looking now; it is a little overwhelming.

• stiles
    16 years ago

I have similar cabinet color but without the glaze. I went with english copper knobs on cabs and a bronze finish on my faucets. I will have a dark copper colored hood. I also need to pick pendants and I think I will go with an amber color. My countertops are marble and lavastone(color of dove gray). I also have stainless steel appliances and I really like how it all ties together. IMHO, I believe all the hardware should be of the same finish family.

Melinda

• dd70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would love to see that dark copper hood, sounds beautiful. On the pendants you mean amber color glass? I was thinking the same, it's the pole finish im having a hard time with. Framburg makes a pendant called "stone crystal" that caught my eye, it's different looking but I thought the pole may bit a bit too dark and it only comes in that one color.

Here is a link that might be useful: stone crystal

• cody07
    16 years ago

I am agonizing over the faucet finish also.
    My colors are about the same and I was going with orb pulls, ss appliances,anthracite sink, ORB pendants and Kohler Vinnata in brazen bronze until I got to Instant Hot. That finish is ORB. anyone have an opinion on mixing these similar but not identical finishes at the sink? I can't seem to find an ORB faucet I like very much.

• dd70
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cody07-The only difference you have is the sink faucet but its still in the bronze family, everthing else is ORB. I think it will be just fine, I wouldn't worry. Or, you could change the faucet and instant hot to the same metal, not necessarily orb or brazen bronze, how about a brushed nikel or stainless. I think I have come to the conslusion to get what I like, there are no rules anymore. I was never good at following them anyway ; ) Is somebody really going to walk into our kitchens and critique it or even notice that the faucets don't match? I think we are too hard on ourselves and all this decision making is driving us nuts! It only matters that you like it. BTW-take a look at fullajesus thread (if you haven't yet), if you have similar colors you will love this kitchen!

• cody07
    16 years ago

dd70,thanks
    I searched again last night and I decided I want to stay with ORB since I have decided to go with the antracite sink(thanks to what I have read on GW), and I don't want to introduce SS again. only my appliances will be ss. I found the Danze Opulence which is similar to Vinnata, I will just need to "feel" it in a store.
    Now, back to your pendants, I think they are beautiful and so different. I think the finish will work fine over your island since your granite is brown and the focal point of the pendants will be the beautiful glass.