Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

White glazed cabs with stained wood window trim

pudgybaby
14 years ago

Would it look weird to have white cabinets with an orangey-brown glaze (think chestnut or caramel) in a kitchen with stained wood trim around the windows. Our kitchen is open to the eating area and family room, and there is a lot of wood, in orange-brown tones.

I am having so much trouble visualizing this. I like white cabinets, but I always envision an ebony glaze and dark granite (black or near-black), stainless appliances, stainless or pewter knobs and pulls, and white trim.

I definitely do not think my black/grey vision would work in my house. And it's not that I love this combo - I am fine with stained cabinets and that is what I have been pricing and planning for with this remodel. But we have SO much wood, so I'm wondering if white might be better.

My kitchen is small (11x11.5 and no island) so I am not sure about mixing wood and painted cabs - too busy I think.

Does anyone have pics of white/caramel cabs and wood stained window trim? I looked through some of the finished kitchens, but can't find what I am looking for.

The photobucket link has pics of our current kitchen (it's a beauty!) and views to the family room with all the wood.

Thanks for your help!

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of kitchen, family room

Comments (6)

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

All I have to say is that I adore wood and white together. Love it. My favorite combo. My kitchen reno plan right now is sitting almost 50/50 wood and white (technically cream).

Can you add a wood element into the kitchen (hutch or something) to tie the wood elements into the kitchen together and make it feel planned that way?

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Well, If it would look weird then I've just created a new weird kitchen that I love! I have a 120" wall of new maple carmel stained base cabinets combined with uppers of my old cabinets that I painted BM white dove. I was going to glaze them but I liked the look w/o the glaze and it saved me work. I made a believer of my carpenter who also is a GC/KD with over 20 years experience.

You can use other elements such as the backsplash, lighting, and counters to tie the look together. Oh, take a look at black pearl or black labrador granite.

• corgimum
    14 years ago

pudgybaby- great question and one I've been mulling over myself. There was a kitchen recently where the poster did just that. She had while trim above her sink but the window next to the refrigerator and in her adjoining family room were stained. Look through all of her photos- the ones I'm talking about are at the end.

I think what makes her kitchen so successful is the originality of it, the wood countertops that coordinate with her stained window trim, the stained wood island, painted beadboard trim and the warm feeling it gives off. It all goes together so beautifully!

Here is a link that might be useful: twoscoops kitchen

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your help!

Needssometips08: You made it obvious to me that rather than white, I am thinking cream, and as dumb as that sounds, it helps me. Where I can't picture white-white, cream makes a lot of sense.

Owls4me: any chance you could post some pics? Or point me to some that you have already posted? I would REALLY like to see your stained base/white upper combo - it sounds like this could really work for me!

corigimum: thanks for posting that link - twoscoops managed to mix a lot of different woods/paints/counter tops beautifully!

Thanks again. Anyone else have an opinion?

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Pudgybaby, Although I've been around these forums over a year I have not posted pictures. I'll see if I can figure it out tomorrow and post my partially done mixed run. Wait until you start to decide on a white or cream color! Lots of great suggestions on this forum and the home decorating forum but you really have to test it in your home and watch the color sample over several days at all different times.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Hope this works.
    As you can see, this is a work in progress but it should give you a general idea. I'm using maple butcher block in this area. The bun feet, corbels, hardware, quarter-rounder, finish coat are all still to come.

{{!gwi}}

I think if you click on the image it will go to photobucket and give you a larger image.