Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohlaches_gw

Help finishing kitchen design...please!

ohlaches
12 years ago

If there's one thing I've learned from lurking on GW, it's that I should have asked for eveyone's help way earlier and throughout this whole adventure of building a new house....better late than never right?

I'm at the point where I'm trying to coordinate all the interior design decisions, and while I thought I knew what I wanted....and thought it would be really fun.... I'm afraid it will all end up a big mess, because I don't really know what I'm doing! So if anyone would like to help, I would love it! And I'm sure my kids and dh would as well, since I drove them completely nuts with which brick to put on the outside of the house.

Ok, as background, the house is very traditional...but not formal. The kitchen, eating area, and family room are all open to each other, and the "hearth room" in the back no longer has a fireplace, because it disrupted an otherwise pretty view. I had toyed with the idea of coffering the ceilings to help divide the space, but chickened out. We aren't in dry wall yet, so if anyone has any creative ideas on how to (or evev if I should) divide these spaces, that would be fine, too.

The only thing I have ordered is the cabinetry for the kitchen. I have slabs of antique absolute black on hold for the perimeters and a slab of calacatta for the island, which will be honed by the fabricators.

So, here's what i have so far.....

Some of the rest of the design has changed, but the basic layout of the kitchen, eating area, family room is the same.

Here is the kitchen design....sorry I'm using my ipad and i can't figure out how to flip it!

Here are my cabinet selections. Kraftmaid canvas on the perimeters and Kraftmaid cherry in sunset for the island. The dw, fridge and freezer will be panelled.

Here is the marble slab (not yet honed).

I would like to build some personality into the rest of the elements. In the I'm Dreaming of A White Kitch thread, I like Pal's concept. I love those colors. I have a decent slush fund figured in for this area, but not enough for one of a kind antiques imported from Europe.

So, GWers....thoughts on backsplash, flooring (i was thinking white oak, but am open to changing that), hardware, lighting. Let me know if I've left anything out. Thanks!!!!!!!

Comments (10)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I would pick a med-darker tone from the marble and do that in ceramic in the bs. Since you have such an awesome pattern, I'd do a single color tile with a wash of color. You can use liners and change direction to make it interesting, but I'd picture a soothing soft color and not a "pop" of color for the tile. Try Jeffrey Court tiles...

BTW - your marble looks a lot like quartzite. Are you sure it is a true marble? It is fabulous no matter what it is ;)

When it comes to layout, I'd rather add in a wall later than want it opened up after the fact. Putting up a wall is cheaper and does not disturb the flooring in the same way as taking one down would.

• ohlaches
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, hmmmm....they told me it was marble. Stupid question, but is there a way to tell?

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

My friend has a similiar house. Do you step down from the eating area to great room?

• ohlaches
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, we thought about doing that, but decided not to in the end. Actually, I wanted the ceiling elevated but we couldn't get it to work with the upstairs layout.

I was thinking of doing something fun on the backsplash, maybe even just behind the range, but i didn't want it to be too much....especially trying to tie all the rooms together. Here's a couple ideas from New Ravenna that I was thinking of....thoughts?

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

like the green leaved selection.The island is very deep-do you need it so much? If so, I would change the four applied end panels and have open shelves facing out there.

• User
    12 years ago

You need some color in there. I like the marble, and it's pretty, but with the vast amount of white cabinetry you have, it's too much cold white for me. I'd pick something more warm and colorful that goes with your other choices like Costa Smeralda granite, and pick another color cabinetry to mix in with the white for the perimeter. Kraftmaid's Willow or Vintage Sage would be something to throw into the mix that would work well with your choices. Maybe do the glass cabinet area and range hood in the Sage or Willow and use your backsplash choice with the green bamboo for the whole area.

• ohlaches
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much. See, this is exactly why I should have asked for input from the beginning! Live-wire, I love that! The cabinets have already been ordered, so they need to stay. The granite/marble is a bit more flexible, but the fabricators have already tagged my slabs and don't like to untag them, although I suspect they would. I do have two slabs of costa on hold for the master bath, but i suppose i could use those in the kitchen....not sure they are big enough for the island, but they might work on the perimeter cabs....would you leave the marble on the island then?

• User
    12 years ago

This is just IMHO, but maybe switch and do the marble in the bath and the Costa Smeralda on the kitchen island? I would probably do a cherry butcher block on the perimeter to bring in more warmth and tie in more with your island rather than a black granite. It will be a lot more forgiving and easier to live with for a hard use surface. And maybe find some fun green glass knobs that echo the green granite for the upper cabinets? You could also paint some masonite green and place it in back of the glass cabinets and then put the shelves in place. That would get more color in the space, but subtly. Myknobs.com even has green glass cup pulls ($14) for a special cabinet!

Only $8 a piece.

{{!gwi}}

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

That marble slab is gorgeous, and I'd keep it on the island. Are there colors in the great room or hearth room that you're trying to relate to? Do you want to keep the same flooring throughout?

• ohlaches
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, so now i need to do another search....i never thought of cherry on the perimeters....it's lovely! How does it hold up to making a mess? My kids love to cook with me, and the perimeter around the sink will be my major work space.

I'm not sure that either of the costa slabs are big enough....in either case they are a more gray green than green, green. I love those those green pulls!

My main colors are light blue (like chambray blue) and greens... When i get back home (waiting for my son's band concert to start), I'll try to post some favorites so you can get an idea of what i'd lilke to incorporate.

Thanks so much everyone!