Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenconfidential2

Year later: still haven't finished kitchen

Hello everyone:

I still have not completed my kitchen and I do not want anyone to think I am one of those who will never post my finished kitchen. I have completed everything except for counter stools and I have to have the knobs on the island installed - very simple, so it seems.

I have searched everywhere for stools and have come up empty handed. I would like a swivel stool, fabric seat, cherry-looking wood, with a back. I want a clean, simple look and on the smaller side since my kitchen is approximately 13 x 13. My kitchen is white with costa esmeralda, very small island that's cherry wood with derby marble. My white cabinet knobs are bird cage. Wall paint color is Benjamin Moore Atmospheric.

I would love to finally complete these tiny details and post my finished kitchen. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments (22)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I love stools shopping. I'm in the middle of a project, but will be back to help.

Meantime, welcome to the club! ABP. Like ABD in academics (all but dissertation). We're the all but photos club. We have a mostly functional, mostly finished kitchen, but there's just enough undone that it's not photo ready yet. Though I do think you could do yours once the island hardware is on.

Oh! Do you not have the hardware for the island yet? It read like it was installation. Do you need help searching for those too? Do you have a budget? (I tend to like outrageously expensive knobs, so a guideline helps. :) )

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

How about a picture so we can at least narrow it down, by seeing the look you're going for? Don't need totally accessorized to appreciate a great new kitchen.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Okay. This one isn't at all what you want but it's really cool! I've never seen one like it. It's at Overstock, so a good buy.

{{!gwi}}

A lot of the examples I'm seeing have a faux leather seat. It might be worth having the seats recovered in the fabric of your choice. If the seat pad has exposed screws you can do it yourself with a staple gun. Leave the leatherish stuff in place as a spill guard, and put your fabric over it. Add a light canvas layer if the fabric is light. Staple opposite sides, then quarter way round opposite sides, and on to around.

I'm not delighted with the lines of this one (also from Overstock), but is the back too fussy for you? It's 15"x16", which is pretty standard minimum size for wood, backed, swivel stools. Is that too large? I'm finding a lot of bigger ones, but not smaller. The metal ones are smaller.

{{!gwi}}

Did you want dark cherry? Or natural?

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

I read on another thread that someone else was mad at people for not posting their finished pictures, but like you it has been more than a year for me as well. I can't tell you how much I long to share my final pictures with everyone and to thank them for all of the great advice that I've gotten. However, right now my cabinets are in storage as the tile floor is not down. A million things made this a very long year, but someday that post will happen.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazon has quite a few cherry stools. Here's a fairly simple one that seems to meet your requirements. Let me know if it comes close or what you don't like about it, and I'll try to look for others. I love to shop!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry swivel barstool

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh, I am so in the same boat as you, and as you can clearly see by some of the responses, you are definitely not alone!

I like the ABP club. I am so almost sorta a little bit there! ;^)

Are you fancying a tall back or a lower back? I am online shopping right now, too, so I will click around and see what I can find...

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Was just dropping by to browse and wanted to empathize. I'm in the ABP club too. We just finally finished painting the kitchen walls, but the trim and ceiling aren't painted. We also need to order the stainless backsplash for the range. So we're functional, but not finished photo-worthy. I guess that's a New Year's resolution for 2011. Finish kitchen. Take photos. Post on Gardenweb.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

It has been more than a year for me too.
    My honeydoo list as turned into a Contractor list.
    My DH is hiring someone to finish the details.

Moulding,
    Ceiling (added beadboard then painted)
    Repaint kitchen walls
    electrical outlets added to peninsula

Okay on to some stool ideas.

Southern Living Magazine

Home Paradise

Ifurniture.com

NOt cherry but pretty

KBD Award Kitchen

Timberlake Maple glazed cabinets

Crystal Chandy image

Alberta CA

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Another empathizer and -- at 2+ years now -- a bona fide, certifiable member of the ABP club! Still have a base sink cabinet repair to do (long story), dw panel and toekick repair (another long story) and a whole pantry to permanently construct. Then of course there's the matter of adding in the long-delayed decorative touches like the "just right" rug and that certain antique wall poster that is perfect but keeps evoking the "90% Rule." :-)

Boxerpups, to the rescue as usual! Those stools are fantastic! So many to choose from, IMO. But the very last ones pictured? Wow! Those are hot enough to make me want to redo my kitchen all over again!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love those stools too!!! In fact I was thinking how
    could I put them in my own space.

I can just imagine myself sipping a cup of tea, sitting
    relaxed in one of those warm cozy chairs, while paging
    through a new cook book planning a fun dinner to make
    for hubby and I.
    ~boxer

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Yeah I like those last ones too. They don't fit the OP's request for swivel and fitting a small space, but I'd love to know where they can be purchased. Boxerpup do you have a resource? Thanks.

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I forgot how to upload pics but will read up on it and post tomorrow. I had lots of pics here but they are no longer retrievable on our site. Boxerpups - miss you. Do you know where I can find the chairs listed under "crystal Chandy image? They might work with the right fabric.

There is something I like about those contemporary stools pllog (miss u too) saw them on overstocked site - dh does not like though. Again I'll try posting pics tomorrow.

Happy New Year to alll!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Just saw these and thought of your post.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherry swivel stool

• kitchenconfidential2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

The "crystal chandy image" stools look identical to Ballard Designs' Oval Louis XVI stools. As you can see, though, they don't have a swivel. They do have several other different cherry-finish swivel options, though!

Your kitchen looks gorgeous and look forward to seeing your official unveiling...

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Kitchenconfidential -

I "finished" my house in July, but the old stools (with the awful, not even possible to clean, fabric seats) remain (as well as the lack of backsplash. The good news is I am not upset but relish the time NOT spent looking.

On the subject of stools, here are a couple of beautiful wood furniture makers in Vermontand their stool offerings - their cherry is gorgeous.

Clearlake http://clearlakefurniture.com/seatstools.html
    Pompanoosuc Mills http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?category=58&product=1205
    Their swivels seems a little chunky - even some that don't show swivel offer so look at each one.

Good luck.

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

Kitchenconfidential2,
    Gorgeous kitchen!! I love it! What a great space! Mine is smaller than yours (11 x 11ish) and we're still working on plans but are starting in the spring. Where did you get your gorgeous pendant light? Also, what's the size of your island? What do you wish you'd done differently: anything?
    Thanks!

• summerbabies
    13 years ago

Pillog, do you have a manufacturer, link, or URL to the first barstools you posted? I LOVE them! But I just searched Overstock.com and couldn't find them. Thank you!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

My friend's son just got bar stools that I liked a lot but I didn't save the picture! I know he got them at Homemakers; exact same stool he found somewhere else for a LOT less. It might be on this page. There's a lot of counter stools so you'll have to skim them for the bar stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: bar stool

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Here are those stools. When he first saw them they were $600 EACH. Homemakers had them less. I'm guessing substantially less!!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022