Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomafinney

Does anyone have granite windowsills?

Noma Finney
13 years ago

I believe I've seen pictures before of windowsills made of granite/stone. My windowsills are only going to be a couple of inches above my countertop and I have two windows that are going to be 4 feet wide. Here's a picture of my granite:

{{!gwi}}

Do you think it's too busy to use for the windowsills? The other slab that my island is going to be cut out of doesn't have as much movement on the end that I'm not using for the island.

Any recommendations either way on this? I would love to see pictures.

Comments (26)

• Britt
    13 years ago

I put in a new window with my kitchen that's at counter height so my slab just runs right out to the sill. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but I love it. I can take a picture - there are electricians in the way right now.

My neighbors both did higher granite sills and I think it looks really nice. Both did a fancy edge - ogee I think - that kind of sets it apart.

I suppose it depends on what else you're doing for trim on your window. But I'm really happy not to have wood in an area that gets wet - my old sill looked awful, all scratched up and gunky.

• Gina_W
    13 years ago

I have it now, and I put one in my condo remodel too. I like the look. It's hard to say whether yours would look too busy without seeing more pix. But I like the look. You can do a contrasting/plainer backsplash from the counter to the sill if you are worried.

• Fori
    13 years ago

It won't be too busy on a standard skinny sill. And on a weird fat sill, it'll look busy in just the right way and remind you why you bought it. Stop worrying. It's good.

I have a bunch of dusty marble samples shoved in my long windowsill-to-be. Now, THAT's busy. :)

• bickybee
    13 years ago

Our counter is just going in and the fabricator is making sills out of the marble.

Here's a photo of his mock-up.

Here is a link that might be useful: marble window sill

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have pictures of how the rest of the window is trimmed out? My trim guy (who is really just a jack of all trades - not a full time trim guy) isn't really familiar with what I'm thinking about doing and wants to just trim the window out the same all the way around.

• baylorbear
    13 years ago

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I love your granite!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

No matter what, if you match the sills to either the granite counter or the backsplash it is a reduction in the Number of materials and that is less busy.

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kitchenaddict - Thanks for the picture. I was actually looking at your picture earlier from the faucets thread. I will have some type of subway style tile on my backsplash.

Baylorbear - Thanks for the compliment on my granite. I was really excited when I found it. It's Madiwki. Supposedly kind of hard to get ahold of, but really not all that expensive (compared to some other granite I've looked at anyway).

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bickybee - That picture helps alot. My window will be just about the same height above the counter as yours. How are you going to trim out the sides of your windows?

• bickybee
    13 years ago

The sides of the windows will be painted the same as the walls. The marble will continue as a 4" backsplash (the height of the area under the window below the sill) around the rest of the counter. In other words there is a 4" marble backsplash around the perimeter plus marble window sills where there are windows. Hope that makes sense.

• doonie
    13 years ago

This is what my GC and fabricator came up with for a quartz sill. It is above a desk area, so the counter height drops down a couple of inches and this is what they came up with for under that window.

{{!gwi}}

Here is where the sill meets the kitchen counter:

{{!gwi}}

And how the window trim is treated in the middle:

{{!gwi}}

• skyedog
    13 years ago

My sill is with an older window and trim if that helps. We plan on tiling a normal backsplash.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Mine aren't granite, but a very busy/veiny soapstone; I prefer the stone to wood because I am a splasher and I did some damage to our old wood sills:

• jkasch
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my window sil using granite. I have more, but am trying to learn how to resize so they aren't so overwhelming.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I have marble not granite and I am sooo happy with them. They are 1-1/4" thick, same as counters. Wish I could have done it all over the house. LOL. (scroll down)

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble Sills

• jkasch
    13 years ago

Here is another picture of my granite window sill. We are still in the reno process and haven't put up a backsplash.

[I

MG]http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k490/Jkasch7/Kitchen%20window%20sil/kitchen003.jpg[/IMG]

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Jkasch - Yours look a lot like I've been visualizing except that the bottom of my window will be a little lower. I've also wondering about making the sill even wider in order to sit plants, etc on the sill.

honeychurch - I believe your window is the picture I'm going to show to my wood trim guy because I think that's the way our wood trim needs to be installed to match the rest of our windows. By the way, I love your soapstone and your faucet looks very interesting!

I've also been planning to put my subway style backsplash under the window, but I may consider using the granite there instead like yours to meet up with the windowsill.

Looks like I'm going to be one of the Christmas rush for my granite installer! My cabinets are going to start being built next week and that will take a couple of weeks.

• positano
    13 years ago

I have one! I don't have a good close up. Here is a couple photos one from a distance. We love it and out granite guy gave it to us for free since he made a tiny scratch on our fridge. If you want a closer photo I can take one.

From Positano's Finished Kitchen
    From Positano's Finished Kitchen

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen and your windowsill Positano! I saw it when you first posted your finished pictures. I hope my kitchen can turn out somewhere close to as beautiful as yours! If it's not too much trouble, I would love to see a close-up of the windowsill and the trim on the sides. Is your granite on the windowsill the full thickness of your other granite? I just noticed tonight that if I use 3cm granite (which I am using on my countertop) it's too thick...

• positano
    13 years ago

Hi Nollie,
    Thank you for the kind words!My granite is definitely the same thickness of my countertops. I guess 3cm. The trim around it is from the cabinet maker. We had some issues with one wall on the side of sink coming out further than the other. So he had to do some magic to make them seem similar. It's still dark this morning, so once the sun comes up I will post a picture for you. Hopefully I can do it before I get off to work.

I love your granite and I don't think its going to be too busy on the windowsill. Your going to have gorgeous windows, they sound huge!

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Positano - I just realized you have the Delta Victorian faucet. How do you like it?

• megypt
    13 years ago

Your granite is beautiful. What is it?

My parents have a granite windowsill with a lot of pattern and it looks fabulous. They have an ogee edge on it.

I have a granite windowsill also. It is a consistent pattern and a double bevel edge. Not as spectacular looking like my parents. But I really like having the granite windowsill. I don't worry so much about the times I'm accidentally slinging water.

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks megypt. It's Madiwki.

I will have to consider the ogee edge...

• luvmyhouse_2010
    13 years ago

I have a pretty good sized windowsill and did have the granite placed there. It just looks fantastic...I wish I knew how to post pictures!

• Noma Finney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

luvmyhouse - The way I've been posting pictures is to set up a free Photobucket account then upload my picture and then copy the html link it has for that picture and just paste the link in my message. The directions at in the Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! post. I would love to see your pictures!