Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekitchen_gw

I Need Help...on Paint Color

katiekitchen
15 years ago

We will be painting our kitchen on Wednesday before the cabinets go in and I'm stumped for paint color.

We are doing white (not cream - similar to SW xtra white) cabinets, black granite, black island and red oak hardwood floors (to match the rest of the house).

I thought I would want a gray, but when I tried the samples of grays, they look too green (BM titanium and moonshine) or too blue (BM silvery moon or gray mist) and I'm drawn to, but not sure if I should use a beige (like BM revere pewter or edgecomb gray). I don't want to do too dark because it's a really small room and I don't want to make it look any smaller (I thought BM stonington gray was too dark).

So, what color have others used with white cabinets and black counters? Is it ok to go toward the browns? What about white - I've read in some articles that paintin the walls the same as the cabinets can open up a small space. What do you think?

Thanks for any and all advice!!

Comments (7)

• teppy
    15 years ago

look at Benjamin Moore's Powell Buff. It was recommened to me by and interior designer. I used it in my living room and it is a very subtle and neutral shade, but not boring. It give some color without being too much. Its in the yellow family. This designer told me that it is her favorite and that it will go with anything that you put it with in any room.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Try BM Sabre Gray? We don't have it with white and black, but it's in our entry (walls, and on the cabinets around our stove. I don't think it's green or blue, although, like anything, it looks a little different under different lighting and at different times of day.

• biochem101
    15 years ago

Katie - Hope you don't mind but I'm honing in on your post. I need the same advice. :)

Writing it down..."Powell Buff'...thanks!

We took down 5 layers of wallpaper on top and paneling beneath the chair rail (before cab install - which is currently ongoing). After 'fixing' all the bad areas we simply painted an off-white. Ivory is always my fall back color when I don't know what to do. LOL!

Now that the white cabinets are going in (black countertop will be awhile yet) I can see the whole thing is too white. Knew it was going to be that way but figured I'd start with a blank slate then paint it next spring after everything is in place and we've lived with it for a bit.

Something buff/tan/khaki but in the yellow family is exactly what I'm pondering. Will definitely check out this shade.

Any more colors? :)

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Another suggestion is BM Truffle from the Aura line. It's warm beige, not gray, but very nice with white cabinets.

• karmicrevival
    15 years ago

try the BM Aura 435.. it's called "spa".. it would look lovely against white and really play off of the red oak.. it's a pale, pale, celery that looks like rich candlelight under some lights and a lively pale celery under other lights.

• booboo60
    15 years ago

Have you considered Tobacco Road? I saw it on here in a past thread but it is the most awesome color! I guess it is in the gold family but it has some grayish brown in it. I have seen it with black and white and it really looks good. My dilemma is trying to find the correct formula as it seems there is an old formula and a new one.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm partial to Behr's Kitchen and Bath paint in satin. It's got great scrubbability. Behr Mochachino is a khaki beige green that works with so many things. Green is GOOD! :) Green, white, black, and wood is a fresh outdoorsy type palette. Red would work as well. Behr Roasted Pepper or Antique Red. Yummy.