Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvdre_gw

Typhoon Bordeaux with a glass-tile backsplash?

dvdre
14 years ago

OK, we are about 1 week away from demoliton beginning and here are the things we have decided on:

1) Medium cherry cabinets with a ebony wash.

2) Red oak floor stained with Provencial or slightly lighter brown stain. (The floor is being refinished from golden tone.)

3) Stainless steel everything, including the range hood with a full exposed ventilation chute.

4) Typhoon Bordeaux granite, a slab with a lot of those burgundies, amber gray, white. The overall tone is warm.

5) Some sort of glass-tile backsplash for the single wall with a backsplash, running under two overhead cabinets and up behind the stainless hood and chute.

My only worries are that our tones will be khaki crazy (wood, granite, tiles) and that maybe the tiles and granite will be too busy together.

Neither of these pics show the products well. The granite is very warm (not so gray as it looks in the pic.) The glass tile pics up many of the same colors, of both the granite and the cherry cabinet.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)

• jb1176
    14 years ago

I don't know if you are asking for opinions or not, but each of the two elements are beautiful individually, but like you, I fear that together they will be too busy. I'm not worried about the colors being too "Khaki Crazy" as you are, but I think I'd want one or the other to be the star of the show. I love your typhoon bordeaux and I think I'd want it to be the star of the show with a backsplash that takes a backseat to the granite.

• tilequeen
    14 years ago

Rather than use the 1" mosaic from Oceanside, use the 2" and do a custom color blend. You can go to glasstile.com and use their blend program and figure out how many different colors you want. Go with what feels right and change the percentages until it works for you. It's not that much more to have the custom blend and then it's perfect for you. Take a piece of your slab into the tile shop and write down the Oceanside colors you like and go from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artfiredearthstonetiles

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

For me the mosiac is too busy. I would do clear glass in one color. You could make it your accent color.

• rsslp
    14 years ago

i agree with westchestermom . i also have typhoon bordeaux and it is so beautiful and busy that i want it to be the focal point. i haven't picked my backsplash yet, but i have in my mind that i would go with a crackle subway tile with either a slight ting of gray or green.
    hth

• sugar_maple_30
    14 years ago

Typhoon Bordeaux has such a grand, beautiful movement to it,
    and those tiles look too
    small and busy to me. My brain
    gets too confused with too much pattern. lol.

I'd look for a tile that really focused the
    attention on the countertop. You say the colours
    go well, which doesn't show in your pics, so I
    might just look for a larger tile to minimize lots of grout lines,
    and with perhaps with fewer colours.

You're much smarter than I was in making
    your decisions ahead of time. I did it on the
    fly - bad move!!!

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

dvdr, I have the same dilemma. I'm using a granite with a lot of movement, and I also adore glass mosiac. However, I think it will wind up "competing" with the granite. I'm looking for a solution.

I've had suggestions to just paint the backsplash, but we are messy active cooks. I have a painted backsplash now and it's a mess. I'm considering picking a shade of color that picks up one of the movement colors in the granite, and then installing a sheet of tempered glass over that. That way I get a solid non-competing look, but the low maintenance of a solid sheet of glass.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

Btw... my dadinlaw just looked at your pics and thinks you picked a perfect mosaic to go with that granite - so everything is subjective. :)