Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandahwatkins

Pool or no pool?

amandahwatkins
9 years ago
Thinking of putting in a pool with spa. Rectangle, free form or no pool, what do you think? Thanks!

Comments (24)

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Amanda, if you have kids who will use it regularly, yes. Otherwise, go spa only .. in ground with fabulous lighting and landscaping - a big spa with a water feature isn't terribly expensive to maintain and operate and you will use it year round, especially if those french doors lead to master. Otherwise, unless you will swim several times a week .. it doesn't pay off. Stick with the square format, build a nice sit wall around it integrated with planters and keep the rest of your grass. ..
    amandahwatkins thanked libradesigneye
  • User
    9 years ago
    I would cut down those behemouth trees if you put in a pool. There are pro's and con's of course, you just need to weigh them out. As much as I enjoyed the pool at a previous home, I never looked at a home with a pool after. Maintaining a pool and all the equipment can be quite costly.
    amandahwatkins thanked User
  • Sami Morris
    9 years ago
    Maintaining a pool doesn't have to be expensive IF you follow troublefreepool.com. You can maintain your pool easily and low budget using a good test kit and normal household products such as bleach, baking soda, washing soda and acid ...
    amandahwatkins thanked Sami Morris
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thinking of the purification system offered by some pool companies. No salt, no chlorine, just clean water. It costs more to add the system but then there are no chemicals and no salt erosion.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Pool pump, pool blower, pool heater, pool cover, pool gate, equipment storage area. In ground spa: Spa pump, spa blower, spa heater, spa cover. Pool cleaning net, accessories. Increase in homeowners insurance. Just a few things to consider.
    amandahwatkins thanked User
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Aye!
  • Sami Morris
    9 years ago
    Please check out troublefreepools.com first. I'm just a member there. The purification systems don't work. My 16 x 36 pool doesn't cost that much to maintain and I love it. One would look beautiful in your yard.
    amandahwatkins thanked Sami Morris
  • jenny
    9 years ago
    from an environmental standpoint it's irrisponsible to put in a pool. plus people rarely use them. I'd suggest spending your money on something that will make you use your backyard more often rather than less often
    amandahwatkins thanked jenny
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    What is environmentally irresponsible about having a pool?

"people rarely use them." is a vague generalization also.
    amandahwatkins thanked handymam
  • jonathan3
    9 years ago
    A pool is a very personal decision and would be a good idea if you are going to use it frequently. Before you invest, check local real estate listings or ask a realtor about resale. In some areas, it can be difficult to sell later and you may never realize a return on your investment. (Personally, I want a "spool"--a combination of spa and pool.)
    amandahwatkins thanked jonathan3
  • troysmommy
    9 years ago
    We wanted a house with a pool, and were unable to find one in our limited time to purchase. A transfer that gave us 1 week in the new city to find a home. We compromised by putting in a swim spa. It's basically a long deeper hot tub. We live in Canada and were able to allow it to cool to 87 degrees during the summer. For us it's the absolute best of both worlds.
    amandahwatkins thanked troysmommy
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of a spool!
  • PRO
    Susan Friedman Landscape Architecture
    9 years ago
    Both a pool and a spool are large investment. These days pool designs look and feel more like outdoor water features since most people look at them more often than swim in them. Therefore if you decide the investment is worthwhile, you are up for the maintenance and increased vigilance regarding safety, then spend time working out the best design for your space and budget. Lots of beautiful material options to make it look unique and special. Good luck!
    amandahwatkins thanked Susan Friedman Landscape Architecture
  • PRO
    The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
    9 years ago

Of course we think you should get a pool. We also believe in doing your homework. Here's a basic place to start, http://poolandhottub.apsp.org/Pools.aspx And for your peace of mind, ALWAYS use an APSP Certified Building Professional or APSP Certified Service Professional for your pool or hot tub projects. They adhere to standards and ethical guidelines. Here's a video that explains more. Good luck!

amandahwatkins thanked The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
  • froehlich6971
    9 years ago
    Japanese garden.
    amandahwatkins thanked froehlich6971
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

love the idea of that but want to go more traditional to match house.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

we have a pool at our summer house which is a mile from the ocean. we love it. love it. did i say we love it? you can, on 30 sec. notice, go out and sit by it. its pretty. you dont need to find a parking spot. no one is sitting in your chair. you dont need to make plans. you just go out and sit by it. you can even put on your suit and swim in it.

does it cost money? of course. i feel you wouldnt be asking if you couldnt afford it. whether you want to spend the money for that, only you can decide.

but we love ours, even though its just a mile from the ocean.

you have a very pretty site. it's worth investigating to find out exactly how much it would cost.

and weekly pool service isn't all that much money, depending how long your swim season is of course.

did i mention we love our pool? we werent going to buy this house because it had a pool. "who needs a pool a mile from the ocean". whoa, close call. we almost ended up without a pool.

amandahwatkins thanked Judy Mishkin
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have decided on doing a rectangle 16x26 with a spa. Very excited. Now we have to decide on salt water chlorine or the regular chlorine. We live in a warm climate so our pool would be used 75% of the year!

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

you'll be so happy.

• linlac
    9 years ago

We have had always had a pool and love it. When I hear people talk about this overwhelming amount of work connected I can only think they don't own a pool. I will admit your budget will go up with a pool. Electric and chemical costs when the pool is up and running can be pricey. I think a rectangular pool would work best in your yard. Our first pool was free form but we now have a rectangular. I prefer the rectangular as you get more open pool area.

amandahwatkins thanked linlac
  • Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

I sorta get the feeling the free form style is a bit passé. whenever I see the house spreads they seem to have rectangular.

amandahwatkins thanked Judy Mishkin
  • amandahwatkins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah and I wanted those clean lines. Thanks for your input!

• DYH
    9 years ago

Salt water pool is so nice and seems to be lower maintenance. After swimming in ours, my skin feels great. The salt is the same product that is used in water softening systems.

amandahwatkins thanked DYH