Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Are you going out or staying in for Valentines Day?

Emily H
9 years ago
If you are celebrating Valentine's Day with someone special, are you going out or staying in? If you ARE staying in, how do you set the mood at home?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Vintage Table Setting · More Info
Going out!
Staying in!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (104)

• margitka
    9 years ago
    My Valentine's Day is a family holiday. As long as the weather cooperates, all my children & grandchildren are coming over & we will go out together. No one wants to cook or clean up. We make it a special holiday for everyone to enjoy!
  • poorgirl
    9 years ago
    Im not really a fan of this occasion, but we are going to go to the cottage 3-1/2' of snow . We will dig out the fire pit and have a bonfire , specialty coffees, beautiful dinner. Unfortunately the fireplace isn't in the cottage yet but having a outdoor bonfire is pretty special (and cold) but we do it every year.
    enjoy everyone,
  • catherine
    9 years ago
    A restaurant owner laughingly told me that Valentine's Day is the one evening of the year he hears couples really bicker. Go figure, but expectations for this date are way too high!! Women should stop expecting a miracle and men should understand and try to reassure....:-)))
  • blossom495
    9 years ago
    I voted for Other... Because this year my husband and I are planning to spend Valentine's Day at a very nice hotel in town, but while there we'll probably stay in. Haha.. There's a reason for this though; the hotel is known to be super comfortable and that's exactly what we're after - a short luxurious break.
  • K Thomas
    9 years ago
    We started a tradition about 13 years ago, when our youngest of four children was 1 year old. It was always hard finding a babysitter and expensive too so we started having a candle lite dinner with a fancy tablecloth and our finest china at home with our children (3 boys and 1 girl). I always fix lasagna and a fancy dessert and I always place a card and a small gift on each of their plates, including my husbands before I call them to the table to eat. All the kids look forward to our evening together every Valentines day.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago

From the looks of some of these posts, y'all don't really know why there is a Valentine's day other than for the monetary gain.

I put other...it's nice to go out, but I don't know if we have a sitter. I'm definitely all over the red velvet cake...I gotta have that!

• Bruce Crawford
    9 years ago
    River Valley Cabinet Works, if you don't get a sitter, definitely have the red velvet by candlelight! This year, Valentine's is on a Saturday! Amp up the romantic mood!
  • Jenna
    9 years ago
    Basketball game:(
  • Theresa Holt
    9 years ago
    Bathing dog that is going to Westminster.
  • krootje
    9 years ago

We are staying at home but invited our best friends over for dinner and drinks! Isn't Valentines about showing our love to the ones we love? Why not have a nice dinner with friends we love? It's Valentines all year round for my husband and I so... ;)

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    9 years ago

going out to dinner.

• Nisha Kumar
    9 years ago

Cooking a delicious dinner at home!

• mrssma
    9 years ago
    Staying home to enjoy this beautiful, sunny, Phoenix weather... "patio-style"!! Got the start of the NASCAR Season starting up as well! Party on the patio NASCAR style!! Still wishing you all a wonderful, happy Valentines Day, your way!!
  • yolisa2006
    9 years ago

My second valentine having a boyfriend in my life and he says he doesn't believe in those things,so indoors and nothing special for me

• Kenneth Gittins
    9 years ago

It's the 21st. century and a gal can treat a guy to a romantic valentine dinner can't she ? yolisa, tell him dinner is on you.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

yolisa, if he is nice to you and a keeper, I am wholeheartedly with him in this. When you love someone, you love them and cherish them everyday. Valentine is a big commercial day. it is not a lover's day it is the restaurant owner's day, and the flower importer's and florist's days, and the chocolatier's day and the card maker's day. invite him to a nice romantic dinner on the anniversary you met, or on the anniversary of the first kiss. that is true romanticism.

• Peggy Hardesty
    9 years ago

We're going out for "Linner" around 3 pm or so, thus missing the lunch and dinner crowds. We will probably go to Longhorn Steakhouse! I'm sure there will be champagne at home afterwards. . . .

• Julie Senior
    9 years ago
    Going to our local winery for an afternoon of wine and chocolate tasting. Then coming home to cook a lobster dinner for two...and more wine!
  • maggierpie
    9 years ago

Taking in an early dinner sitting at our favorite table in what we feel is one of Houston's Top Places to dine. No special gifts as it is Valentine's Day year round. A visit to the Hallmark store for a special card is a must. This has been a tradition for 40 years.

• robgross
    9 years ago

We are going to an Italian Restaurant in So Phila. with 3 other couples.

Excellent veal, Sinatra music, candles and lots of red wine!!

• Jane Hildbold Rice
    9 years ago
    Taking everyone camping for a long weekend
  • babka
    9 years ago
    its our first anniversary for marriage! but we gonna spend time on the flight back to his hometown.
  • 12stephaniev
    9 years ago

After reading all these wonderful posts I feel like a buzz-kill, but I want to gag at the thought of Valentines, chocolates, and roses. My husband and I prefer an impromptu dates, or flowers, or surprise "special" dinners several times a year as opposed to an awkward one where it's expected to be romantic. We just don't do in on cue.

• NYC Redhead
    9 years ago

Every year we make dinner together, open a bottle of Champagne, curl up on the sofa and watch Moonstruck.

• poorfatgirl73
    9 years ago

Recently divorced ... can't wait 'til it's over! I'll have to stay away from the stores for a while since they put all their Valentine's candy on half-price. That's way too tempting for a lonely 'old' broad like me!

• edith4341
    9 years ago

Celebrating with our son daughter in law and 2 yr old grandson. Grandma is bringing red hearts and decorating the dinner table. She is also bringing a homemade pasta sauce that reminds son of his childhood.....A cozy family time together!!!!

• shamasbay
    9 years ago

Going to a silent auction, dinner & dance for a local fundraiser. Looking forward to getting dressed up and having fun with friends.

• Beth Perry
    9 years ago

Staying in putting finishing touches on our kitchen remodel, best gift from my love!!!

• redoredone
    9 years ago

We went out to dinner and a play with dear friends on the 10th. No overcrowded restaurants and chaos, as it will be on the 14th. Staying in on Valentine's Day.

• mrswordly
    9 years ago
    My husband and I will soon be moving into our new home once our remodeling projects are finished. We're planning on spending our first night in the house on St Valentines Day in front of the fire with our favorite brand of whiskey.
  • lilygilder
    9 years ago

We're going to a concert called "Spark of Love", by the McLean Orchestra (McLean, Virginia). Between Berlioz, Dvorak, Korngold, and Liszt there's certain to be some romantic inspiration!

• okieflamingo
    9 years ago
    Staying in. I have the flu! Hot tea. Warm sweater blanket for the chills. Hubby blowing me a kiss from the hallway. Grandchildren laughter and giggles on FaceTime. Not an ideal Valentine's Day plan but not bad for our 46th Valentine's Day celebration! A lifetime of trust and love from a single human being is a wonderful gift! Here is his gift from me, just finished!
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago

He will build a roaring fire. I will get to choose what to watch on television. He will tolerate it without complaining. I will try (sort of) to choose something he might like. He will at some point make fun of something said on the show/movie. I will get annoyed. He will try to apologize. I will point out that it's too late. He will remain quiet for a while. I will mull over what he said for too long. He will go get me a chocolate. I will eat it. He will wonder if I'm still mad about what he said about my show. I will go to bed as soon as MY show is over. He will throw another log on the fire. I will be way too warm, and turn on the fan. He will turn on the bedroom TV to some show about Alaska outlaw ice trucker gold miners. I will roll over and the cat will settle in on my pillow to cover my head.

Happens every year.

I love him. He's very predictable! :)

• Virginia Berlando
    9 years ago

My contractor called and he is going to finish the basement! Just goes to show that contractors rate over going out for dinner!

• Terri Clark
    9 years ago

I have a whole spa day at the Crescent Hotel in Dallas, We also got a room there. I am an admin and when my guys travel they like to stay there so we have a corporate rate. I sent the manager an email and asked for it, and got it! So we are going to meet up at the room, get ready for dinner at Sambucas. They have dinner and dancing. The go back to the hotel and chill out, drink wine, fall asleep without the snoring dogs.

• flufffy
    9 years ago

We're older/retired and live in the north east. The forecast is for extreme cold (including wind chill).... We'll stay in & cuddle together where it's warm. Sometimes it's good to be old!

• CCndNH
    9 years ago
    Well this year on Valentine's Day I am dancing the tango in a local "Dancing with the Community Stars" fundraiser for children's theater. Afterwards we will be celebrating with our much loved friends over dinner. Hubby and I will be celebrating our 40th anniversary in two weeks so will save the special date night for then.
  • Lisa Hays
    9 years ago
    Prime rib dinner at our dining room table (hubby re-did the space a couple of years ago) followed by a trip down memory lane (we're high school sweethearts back together after twists and turns). No traffic or inflated prices!
  • jkschulz
    9 years ago
    We just had a baby, so we're staying in to snuggle our newest member of our family
  • makaloco
    9 years ago

Here in Mexico it's "el día del amor y la amistad" (day of love and friendship). It's also Saturday and the middle of Carnaval, so I'll probably stay home and protect my house from the revelers. ;)

• Cheryl H
    9 years ago
    Going Skiing at Snowshoe Mountain Resort in West Virginia! Expecting Grandkids to show up and snow predicted to make it perfect!
  • tlwilson83
    9 years ago
    My husband and I met on Valentine's Day 26 years ago. His parents were married on Valentine's Day. It will be the two of us with family coming over to celebrate the day after enjoying Southern Red Velvet Cake.
    I enjoyed reading everyone's comments.
  • srp07
    9 years ago

King crab at home...

• pkerbs
    9 years ago
    Spending the weekend with my husband and two very sweet granddaughters. Can't think of anything better :)
  • Laurel Ennis
    9 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen. Doing it was my husband's gift to me. Letting him stop was mine to him. ;-)

• racetrax
    9 years ago

Definitely staying in! It's a non work weekend for me, so I'll be staying in and enjoying a quiet peaceful day watching the wild birds visit the outdoor feeders and relaxing with the wife and our three four legged furry kids. Besides, it's bitter cold and blowing snow outdoors, here inside it's heart warming and cozy with the one's I love.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

staying in! blizzard predicted for this afternoon and husband in bed with a kidney stone. go me.

• Keshni K
    9 years ago
    Friend is throwing a V Day party
  • User
    8 years ago

There's no place home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home . . . 40 years and still enjoy each other's company most.

• PRO
    Lunada Consulting & Design, Inc.
    7 years ago

Much more romantic!