Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcdc_gw

Looking for a recipe

dcdc
20 years ago

I also posted below as you will see - I am now looking for a recipe to make birdloving ornaments for our Natural Christmas Trees that will be sold at our bazaar. I know I have seen recipes using suet which is rolled in all sorts of goodies but can't remember all the ingredients. Would love to hear any ideas and recipes on this. There are so many bird lovers out there (including me) and I think this could be a great selling item at our charity bazaar.

Comments (4)

• penny1947
    20 years ago

Materials for bird seed ornaments

Peanut Butter
    Suet (look for this at your local grocery store's meat counter or deli)
    Cornmeal or Cracked Corn
    Shortening
    Raffia
    Assorted Nuts and Seeds
    Bird-friendly food like cereal, bread slices, peanuts

Creating Hard Suet
    Simply mix together 1 cup of peanut butter, 3 cups of suet, and 2-4 cups of either cornmeal or cracked corn.

Creating the Ornaments
    Use a cookie cutter to form the suet mixture into a desired shape then dip into a seed mixture of your choice. Or, place the suet mixture into an ice cream cone, and decorate the top with seeds. Finally, cut an orange in half and remove the fruit. Place the suet mixture into the empty orange peel, and decorate the top with seeds. Finally, use raffia to hang the ornaments on the tree.

Creating Soft Suet Ornaments
    Simply mix together 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of shortening, and three cups of cornmeal until they form a paste. To make an ornament, simply use a cookie cutter to cut a shape out of a piece of bread. Let the bread dry overnight. Once the bread has dried, smear the soft-suet mixture onto the shape and then decorate with seeds. Or, smear the mixture onto a pine cone and decorate with seeds. As with the other hard-suet ornaments, use raffia to hang the ornaments on the tree.

Creating the Garland
    Simply string pretzels, cereal, peanuts, popcorn, raisins, cranberries or other bird-friendly food onto a piece of raffia. Not only will the birds eat what you've strung, once spring arrives they can use the raffia to help build their nests.

THis is taken from the Girl Scouts web site

Below is another link with a similar recipe
    Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: bird seed ornaments

• dcdc
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Penny - Your great - Many thanks for this great post!!

• penny1947
    20 years ago

With our very frigid temps right now, I am sure that all the birds will love them. Your right there are lots of bird lovers out there.
    Penny

• suze0531
    20 years ago

Just read of a recipe in my Birds N Blooms magazine for birdseed balls. Mix (2) 1/4 oz. unflavored gelatin and 1/3 c. water. Stir over low heat until gel dissolved and mixture is clear. Stir in 1 1/4 c. birdseed or whatever birds enjoy. Make sure it all gets coated with gelatin. With damp hands, pack mixture into small round-bottomed plastic container and chill till solid. Remove and hang on tree. (these would have to probably stay on ice during the bazaar. I can't wait to try them...for the birds, of course!!!!! Good luck at the bazaar! Suze

Sponsored