Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerpottipper

Jan. 10th, Houseplant Appreciation day!!

flowerpottipper
9 years ago

Tomorrow is national houseplant appreciation day!! What are you guys gonna do to celebrate?? I'm using at as an excuse to buy more plants lol.

Just wanted to remind you guys, I'm excited.

Comments (8)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

I feel left out - I'm in Australia. why not World Houseplant Appreciation Day ?

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Aww wait.... Is this only a US thing? Or does Canada Count?
    If so that's funny as tomorrow I'm going to go buy some Tillandsias at this store as they were sold out in december until the 10th and I'm also going to the cities largest nursery to go see if I can find any of the succulents on my list..... And perhaps a few other things.....

Now hopefully I Get to use this as an excuse too

Happy Houseplant day people!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

thanks for telling us this.
    I appreciate my houseplants everyday. :)

• elizabeth_101
    9 years ago

Our local HD has their 5" pot, tropical house plants on sale for 3 for $10. Not a bad deal. Happy Appreciation Day!

• flowerpottipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this online-

"The green thumbs at The GardenerâÂÂs Network established Houseplant Appreciation Day to remind people about their indoor botantical buddies after the rush of the holiday season has passed and to celebrate the benefits of houseplants and encourage green thumbs."

I don't see anything about it being only in the US...

I too appreciate my houseplants everyday, but it's still fun to celebrate. Here's my new plant, Homalomena selby, the leaves are huge on it.

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Ugh what a bust houseplant day was!
    Went across the city to a garden centre with the 'largest selection of houseplants in the city' to try to find at least 1 out of all the recommendations you guys gave me for succulents.... to get practically snubbed. Sure they had a ton of 6 ft Palm trees and ficus and what not all for the low low price of 150 dollars but the rest of their plant selection was no better if not worse then a Home depot or Rona..... And way more expensive... I figured I should buy something to make the trip worth it at least so I got a pot of Crown of Thorns.... But with yellow flowers.... Agh.. Not that I care to much for flowers... Well I guess it dosnt look that bad. But still! Red would have made me happier! Haha ohwell
    They also had Tillandsia there but they were all glued to a shell and what not and somehow that raises the price to 30$.....and the only single ones they had were 3 huge ones for 20 dollars....Even when I went to buy the plant the lady at the cashier just ignored my hello kinda grunted then gave me the bag.....
    Then I thought we were gonna go to this store to get my Tillandsia'S as it's the only place in the whole city to buy individual airplants but my parents decided it was to far away..... So got completly snubbed twice!
    And that's my vent for the day
    Anyway here's my COT in my wall pot

This post was edited by MrBlubs on Sat, Jan 10, 15 at 19:26

• flowerpottipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Mrblubs, that stinks. But your COT is very nice!! I don't understand why some plant nurseries are so limited and expensive on houseplants and succulents, I have one by me that's like that, and their workers are no better, I've had them turn off the lights in the greenhouse on me even though they weren't closing for an hour. And the other local nursery is infested with white flies so bad that I won't dare shop there.

That's why recently I've been doing most of my plant shopping online from trusted nurseries, I usually find the plants I'm looking for at good prices and that way and I don't have to leave the comfort of my home since the plants arrive to my doorstep lol.

Well just give your plants a hug for appreciation day, they deserve it for being wonderful and bringing happiness!!

• MrBlubs
    9 years ago

Maybe it's just because it was in the dead of winter.... But they didn't seem like there were any empty aisles or anything.. Won't go back to find out though!
    At least my experience wasn't as bad as yours! That's terrible. What happend to all the customer service these days?
    Id shop online too but the shipping is to expensive! But I might just go and order 15 airplants from air plants city or eBay or something if i can't find them anywhere
    Nice plant too btw! Never heard of it.... I guess I'll have to google away!

All my plants (except a few that can't really be moved) yesterday got treated to a humidity bath! It was funny the whole washroom looked like a jungle.