Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hyacinth Plant questions

puglvr1
9 years ago

Hi all...I purchased this from Aldi (grocery store) and was wondering after its done blooming can I pot this up in a pot of soil? Will I need to trim the dead blooms after wards before repotting to soil?

Thanks for any help and advise...

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The roots...

• grrr4200
    9 years ago

We plant them in the ground here in michigan, i see you live in Florida so hopefully someone can chIME in about spring time bulbs

• paul_
    9 years ago

To the best of my knowledge, like tulips, hyacinths require a cold dormancy -- something not really achievable via natural methods for you. As such, leaving them in ground in your neck of the woods is likely to be unproductive.

Like tulips, when grown in the ground, hyacinths begin forming their roots for the next season in the fall when temps cool and fall rains arrive. (This gives them a head start on kicking into gear in the spring.) They then go on "hold" for the winter.
    Do trim off the dead blooms.

You could pot it up or leave it in that glass vase though I would recommend doing frequent water changes if you do the latter and adding a good balanced fertilizer to the water. During this time give it a sunny windowsill. When the greenery dies off, remove the bulb from the vase and let it dry completely if you keep it in the vase. Then pot it up in some lightly damp soil and stick in your fridge for the winter. Check it periodically to make sure it doesn't get bone dry. After 10-13 weeks you can try bringing it out to start the cycle again.

This link may be useful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing hyacinths for forcing

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul and grrr for responding...appreciate it!

Paul, Thanks SO much for the great information, tips and advise...I am able to grow Amaryllis here both inground and in pots...I'll try to do the same with this one once its done blooming...

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I grow hyacinths in water every year and have never needed to change the water while the plant is growing. After flowering I just plant the whole lot in the garden - but I agree that might not work in Florida. Here they are in the shed waiting to be brought in in shifts.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info Floral...You have teh same vase mine came in...I notice you keep your water all the way to the top of the bulb.

Here it is 3 days after that picture was taken and the blooms are opened already :o)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It may be unclear in the picture but the water does not come up to the top of the bulbs. It is very slightly below the base plate. If it touches the bulb, even the just base plate, it can cause rot. The vases are the classic Hyacinth glass shape made specifically for the purpose. If you are interested in them look at this site kept by someone who collects them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth vases

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification on the water...appreciate the link as well
    :o)

• Trisha Thiher
    2 years ago

Hello. I also bought my hyacinths at Aldi recently. Mine had multiple blooms and kept tipping over I had to put rocks around the base to keep them upright but they are beautiful and fragrant. So is it ok after the blooms are gone to plant in soil in the house and bring out in the spring? Wiil they bloom again? Thanks for help this is my first time with Hyacinths.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

They will not rebloom if you plant them in the house. They need winter chill to flower. If you have winters plant them in the garden. If you don’t have cold winters, I’d cut my losses and compost them. Trying to force them again, while not impossible, would be quite a job.