Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Thanks, Henry - I am one of those folks who don't notice fragrance unless it is really strong.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Fragrance is key for me. I have some roses with no fragrance - Gemini being one. But the vast majority have fragrance, and I'll never buy another rose unless it has killer fragrance.
    Thanks Henry, that was a good read.
    Carol

• frenchcuffs13
    9 years ago

I noticed most exhibition hybrid teas and the best performing garden ones generally have no scent. Such a shame. It's like the worst trick. Thanks for the article Henry!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Yeah, isn't it. Everyone ALWAYS smells a rose.
    The sublime look on people's faces when they smell a great smelling garden rose always puts a smile on my face.
    Carol

• monarda_gw
    9 years ago

I can think of very few roses with little or no scent that I would want to grow (if I had space). Mostly these are species or near species like the chestnut rose, that are really remarkable in other ways -- ferny foliage, very early blooming or very extended blooming, or exceptionally graceful habit, such as some of the ramblers and polyanthas. I don't think the chinas have too much scent, but they are beautiful and their everblooming habit was a welcome novelty in their day.

But I think of domesticated roses as being grown for use -- perfume or hips -- as well as appearance. As remarked above, one expects it and is disappointed when it is not forthcoming.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

Scent is one of the key qualities of roses. Roses don't need to be extremely fragrant, but without any scent at all, it could almost be asked 'What's the point?'

Sometimes I might throw in 1 or 2 scentless varieties if they possess some special color, but always planted next to roses that do smell.

Theoretically there might be some tradeoff between visual appeal and fragrance, but I have not found that to be the case at all. All my favorite-looking roses have fairly high fragrance.

I have an acute sense of smell, so I can appreciate subtle levels of smell. For me, the exact type of smell is more important than the intensity of fragrance. (though everyone is different)

But I agree, it is difficult to find any commercially sold cut roses with any fragrance at all.

• rross
    9 years ago

For me, there are easier and more constantly flowering plants, such as dahlias, to grow for just colour. I grow roses primarily for their fragrance.

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Roses and Cattleya orchids. If they have no fragrance, what's the point? Watch the look on someone's face when they receive commercially grown roses, bend their face down and take a deep breath of nothing. It is sheer disappointment. I don't understand this at all.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals