Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgodman

October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls

rgodman
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice bright red fall tree in front of my house. The area I would put this tree is about 15' from our power/phone line that crosses over our front yard. So basically the tree would have no growth restrictions except this power line which would be 12' up, and 12' to the left of the tree. I also grow/play with bonsai.. and my thought is to plant the tree, and literally bonsai style it. Develop a main leader and wire/turnbuckle it to sweep to the right.. growing diagonally with a second (first branch) towards the power line and pruning and ramify it to be basically a "pad" well below the power line, and have the apex directed well away from the line.

Has anyone tried to modify growth habits of either of these trees (even a red maple) like I am describing? I would think it could be done. Just really looking for input.

I had also looked at the Fire Dragon cultivar of the Shantung maple which would be ideal for this, but you can only buy them in Texas, they do not ship them, and I cannot make that drive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ray

Comments (5)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Ray, where are you and how moist is the ground you are putting it in?

I am wondering if one of the Japanes or Sugar maple cultivars would do you best for avoiding maintence.

Neat habit that bonsai is.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hmmmmmm ....

left to their own devices ... 15 feet is too close to the power lines.. unless you will never complain when the power company comes along and trims them for you ... counting the easement they have... you are probably barely 5 feet outside of such ...

as to the bonsai ... well ... all the power to ya ... if you can commit to keeping at it.. for the next 50 years ... and will cut the tree down... if you ever decide to move ...

i would think you would be better off pruning/training a shrub into a tree standard ... or going with a smaller tree int eh first place... like a JMaple with a slower annual growth rate ...

but again ... i am not down with the bonsai challenge ...

and i am presuming... this is all far enough from the house and what not.. to never be a safety issue????

give it a go ... i doubt you will find many peeps with direct experience ... but someone always has to be the first ... just admit failure.. if and when it happens.. and remove it... IF NEED BE ....

otherwise.. keep us posted on this interesting idea ...

ken

• rgodman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies...

Toronado... I am just west of Atlanta, GA. Zone 7/7B. Soil is heavy red clay, slightly acidic. The location is full sun, and actually part of the reason for this tree it to provide shade for a Crimson Queen that has been roasting in full sun for years. it is surviving, but far from thriving.

Ken... All good points. I wasn't sure what the easement was, yeah had not thought of that. This line in question would only effect us, as it is from pole to our house only. Which of course means in a storm we would be the only ones out on the street, and last to repair. A definite consideration.

I think the problem has resolved tho. I was luckily able to reach Sooner Plant Farm, and they will be shipping me a 5 gallon Shantung Maple Fire Dragon in a month. From what I hear (and see) this tree is outstanding. Gorgeous red fall color, smaller/shorter... reaching 30' X 30' or so at maturity, excellent resistance to storm damage, and has a more branching type natural style rather than single leader. A perfect smaller maple to bonsai train... at least initially for the shape I need.

Really looking forward to trying this. I will update as things go, starting with a pic after planting. Also attaching a cpl pics of fire dragon for any that have not seen one.

• rgodman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Natural branching with no bonsai training.. can you imagine with? I have heard the habit is much like a large Japanese Maple.

• rgodman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and Fire Dragon leaf..