Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Homeless Veteran Gardening

bearstate
9 years ago

Hello,

Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious tumble, thanks to the fact that the staffing industry believes in some myth that software professionals from India are better than those that are home grown right here in the USA. If they only knew the truth about plagiarism, bribes, kick-backs and selling out country, state community and homeland for a a few dollars more.

Yes, I am homeless, a US Navy honorably discharged veteran and couldn't even finish the last class and capstone to get my Masters in Computer Science. But I was lucky, because I am not a civilian and am a patriot veteran. Instead of descending into a hell of homelessness like some of our well educated civilian countrymen have, I was caught up by a special program to work with honorably discharged veterans, find them housing and work and get them back on their feet. But still, it won't work that way for me. I'll not be going back to work as I have no faith in those who do the employing and those who assist in staffing. I'll be looking to retire from the whole sell out. I hope you can all deal with it while being fed you rations of Bollywood and wondering why it's so easy to hack your credit.

I currently live in a well structured, clean emergency housing facility for homeless veterans. The place has its own chow hall, 3 squares a day, laundry facilities, carpeted rooms with baths, refrigerators, cable TV and WiFi. But best of all, it has these wonderful grounds which are already landscaped and manicured daily by a veteran with his degree related to the cause. And some of you who have met me before on this site know how I like to plant things and watch them grow. The trouble is that I can't afford seed or bulbs, plants or anything else.

Homeless Veterans Emergency Housing Facility (HVEHF) is located in San Jose, CA, at the corner of Alum Rock ave. and Kirk Ave. (10 Kirk Ave.). Gosh, I'm wondering if any of you folks at Gardenweb who live in the SF Bay Area would be interested in donating seed, bulbs or plants to help extend the horticulture at this non-profit that is doing so much to help Veterans who have fallen to homelessness.

I was kind of thinking about getting some Clivia for the shady parts, some short and medium Canna and Iris for the sunny areas and maybe some exotics like tree ferns and cycads for wall spaces and other open cirques. We have quite enough palms around here with Washingtonias popping up on their own accord.

Hey, if you think my crazy idea to do this is a good one and can help, e-mail me and we can set up a rendezvous here for a visit and introduction to our gardener, Greg. God, I'd love to plant some things on these grounds. It's a beautiful place to start and can be so much enhanced with good color and green depth.

I have every confidence that some of you would have some miraculous ideas to splash some color around a place like this.

Have a good day and take care.

Comments (10)

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

Good luck with your gardening. Ah you live 5 hours away from my area.

• princesspea
    9 years ago

Hi Bearstate, thank you for your service, and I am very sad to hear of your displacement, though not surprised as some of my family is in the software business and always fear the outsourcing.

I have a limited budget also but I will share what I can, our neighborhood has many gardeners and I will spread the word. Right now all I have are some extra vegetable seeds and some I identified but sprouting iris divisions, if that will help I will drop them off, where/how do I bring things for you or direct others to do so?

-Pea

• bearstate
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Protego and PrincessPea ...

Thanks for responding. I can't and won't post contact info on the web, but you can drop by 10 Kirk Ave., San Jose at HVEHF and ask for myself (Brian) or our veteran landscaper, Greg. Greg has told me that for now he is not restoring the previous years, veggie garden. Pea's Iris divs sound like something that we can spread around here and possibly provide some returns on at a future date. The same would be true of Canna tubers or other dividable root flowers.

To get here you take 680 to the Alum Rock exit and drive east, past white road to the next light down which is the corner of Alum Rock and Kirk. HVEHF is right on the NE corner.

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

You're welcome. But the rest (of what ya said) is for that other person. I wont. You're way too far from me.

• bearstate
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Protego,

No problem. I got bored today and cruised a few area Home Depots and OSHs. I found some President Roosevelt Canna tubers at the OSH on Alum Rock and got 4 of them for just $8.98, 2 to a package. That's a tolerable expense.

I like the idea and sharing/trading tubers and divisions. It's a good way to build up the grounds here and share the interest we all have in gardening while doing something to give my fellow Vets something positive to chat up. We have some women Vets here as well and I can't believe that they wouldn't like seeing thing get more color here.

For those of you who are curious about these grounds, you can Google map a satellite image of the place to get some idea.

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Bearstate,

If I were you, I'd check with some of the independent nurserys still around in your area. One small south bay chain initials SW has a monthly budget at each store for donations. Talk to the local store manager about plant donations, you may be surprised. I think your closest store is in San Jose. There is also 2-3 other independent nurserys close by as well, google them and ask.

• BearState
    9 years ago

Barb,

I,ve checked to see id some might donate. No reply.

• BearState
    9 years ago

After touring the HVEHF grounds, I've found a lot of Iris, some just beginning to bloom.

This looks like the Orjen Iris (Iris orjenii):

Seed pods:

Seeds:

I am able to collect lots of seeds for this Iris and am willing to trade for seeds/rhizomes of other varieties. Yes?

• BearState
    9 years ago

Of course that's not an Orjen. Orjen are far too rare. It looks kinda like an Orjen.

• BearState
    9 years ago

Journal Entry: 2015-02-22

Back at the beginning of February, I risked planting some President and Lucifer Canna rhizomes, early. The risk paid off as it was a warm February here in San Jose, CA and the first (2) of (9) rhizomes are found to be rising from the soil. I expect the rest to follow.

Expect an early Spring in the SF Bay area.