Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help me decide which to grow this year - sweets

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Sweet peppers to start with, I've got a list made out. I got so many seeds in the swap it's hard to decide, I do want to grow a few ornamentals for pots, gonna skip the arbol types this year, and very few superhots (that will be another thread). Have to grow some jalapneos, serranos for salsa but not gonna do too many 30,000 SHU varieties. I've got to take 400ft of row out of nightshades this year -maybe next year.

So here goes - I only have room for about 100 pepper plants this year, mostly sweets but leave me some room for others. Opinions on these?

Bells - Scorp sent me Emerald Giant, that's 80 DTM ripening to red but I bought New Ace (60 DTM but not blocky), Peacework (blocky 65 DTM but not very productive?) and Purple Beauty (74 DTM). Which and how many of each would you devote valuable space to?

Italian types - Carmen F5 - not stable - worth trying? It's tempting but I also have Giant Marconi from someone - start seeds from both?

Friarello 65DTM from brian 6464 - sounds promising, I really want to try this heirloom variety. Thanks Brian.

Lipstick or Melrose? They're both 70 DTM, sound very similar.

Super Shepherd or Tolli's Sweet? SS is 68 DTM which gives it an edge, longer which might not be good at market since people think long peppers are hot chiles...

Cheese type - I have Alma from previous years (thanks Bill) but really want to try Botinecka Zuta from the swap. Good for fresh eating?

Paprika/drying types - so many ancho/paprika etc types but since I can't sell powder I have to restrain myself from planting too many. Is Boldog good fresh? Or too similar to the Italians so not worth growing this year? What about Guajillo (Mirasol)? I'll dry some for us (really want to try Aleppo if room, Chimayo, and others) but I have to really devote space this year to trialing types I can sell fresh at market (or use in salsa or pickles).

I am definitely growing the yellow jalapeno Scorp sent me (Jaloro?) and prob. some early jal again, as well as serrano. Good in salsa, and I want to try a yellow salsa (though it seems I don't have any yellow bells, will have to use B. Zuta!).

Anaheim/Numex - got Big Jim, Santa Fe Grande (long chile, right?), Chimayo - worth growing this year (we love them) or too similar in shape to the Italians? Not really a market here for chiles but DH wanted some for rellenos and ristras/powder. So might have to pick only 1 - Chimayo?

So many peppers, so little time (space)!

Comments (11)

• kentishman
    9 years ago

It's a common problem---too many seed types, too little room!

If you grow Boldog, I'll be interested in the results. I'm growing around 6 paprika types for the first time.

Good luck making the tough choices on what to grow.

Tom

• seysonn
    9 years ago

As I understand, you are a "market grower". So other than for your personal use, you should grow what "sells" and what is "prolific".
    In NW CT you have a short season for peppers. Lets hope that this year you will a more clement weather up there.
    I suggest that you check with "market growers" forum and consult with them.

Good Luck !

Seysonn

• brian6464
    9 years ago

I only had one Friariello plant last year and it put out close to 20 ripe pods that were very tasty. Good luck.

I'm in the same boat as you. Limited space and well over 100 seed varieties to pick from.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'll check over on Market seysonn but some of these aren't the usual market varieties - which is good. I like different. I am looking at short DTM bc the problem with bells is that I can't get them ripe. But I'm looking for input from people who have grown these and contributed seeds to the swap as to which they prefer, which are prolific, and which are so similar it doesn't matter (or if 1 has a slight edge on the other). I love peppers (and tomatoes) and like to try unusual varieties - I've won some people over to tomatoes that aren't red, and I'm hoping to find some really good sweet peppers I can "convert" people to ;-).

Thanks for the seeds, Brian, I can't wait to try the Friarello.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I couldn't decide so I have a very long grow list this year ;-) Some of them are going to be in pots. I've got 14 varieties between 3 and 12 seeds of each on the heat mat now in 72 cells. Another 16 varieties (or more) going in another 96 cells tomorrow. Everything from bells to Reaper ;-) and I wish I had room for more.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I know this is the hot pepper forum but I saw this 'mater and thought of your Farmers Market sales.> Mexican Solanum Lycopersicum Zapotec Pink Ribbed Pleated Heirloom Tomato

{{gwi:2130072}}

{{gwi:2130073}}

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful tomato! Interesting the way it folds inside!

• John A
    9 years ago

Regarding Purple Beauty, it adds some interesting color to salads. If you are patient, and let it turn red, it is much sweeter. Takes a long time to turn.
    John A

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I'm doing Purple Beauty just to have the purple unripe ones to go with red and green New Ace.

NECM - I got a free seed packet of Red Ruffles (d?) from Sand Hill last year I may try that this year but since I've got to cut down on nightshades it looks like I will have 60 - 75 tomato plants and 100 pepper plants this year (half the tomatoes I usually grow). Did you find someone closer to start seeds for you? Not that I wouldn't be glad to, just a long drive for you ;-) and I'm probably starting later than you'd like.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Yup, that sounds like it!:

Red Ruffled: mid, Ind, 6 to 8 oz. fruits. A continuously segregating gene pool of very ruffled fruits, excellent for salads and unique decorations.

And available in pink & yellow....

Pink Ruffled: mid, Ind, very unique pink ruffled fruits. Very productive. Superb yields, very attractive.

Yellow Ruffled: mid, Ind, 8 to 10 oz. fruits. A continuously segregating gene pool of very ruffled fruits, excellent for salads and unique decorations.

How much snow ya get? Official total for my hometown was 31.5"...

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hard to tell since it was blowing, I guess in town official measurement from last storm was 9", we might have gotten a foot here. Another foot or so expected tomorrow night into Monday. The kids are going to be in school until Independence Day at this rate (j/k, the teacher contract says June 30 so they'll start taking April vacation days).

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living