Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citruslover1

Need help please. Would like to buy dwarf mango tree.

Citruslover1
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I would like to buy a dwarf mango tree. This would be my first time growing a mango tree. I have citrus and fruit trees. I have read through internet but nothing really answers my questions. I would like to keep it in container year round. Is there such a thing? Keep it outdoors during the spring, summertime. And bring in fall, wintertime. I have a hps light fixture during wintertimes. My questions would be: 1) what type of variety would do good in my zone 5? 2) what kind of soil would I use? Can I use cactus and succulent potting soil? 3) do I use 10-10-10 fertiziler with what else? 4) can I prune to maintain small size? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments (15)

• seagel
    9 years ago

Let me start by saying, Welcome to GardenWeb. Where the garden nuts like myself reside!

To answer your question in short, I would dig for already existing answers through the search bar here. "Mango zone 5", "cold mango", "mostro" (this is a guy who did grow mangos in a zone where it's tougher to grow during the colder seasons in the year.

Similar searches should yield some great reads when you have some time!

As far as pruning, On YouTube, search for Fairchild. That botanical garden has plenty of vids on mango pruning/tipping. I can't see why you couldn't grow dwarf variety in a colder climate as long as you take the proper measures when temperatures threaten the plant.

Wish you well on your adventure!

• Citruslover1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply and advice. I was not thinking. Lol I will use the search bar to find some info on mango zone 5 and hopefully I will be able to see some of my questions answered. I need all the luck I can get. ;)

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

An unpruned dwarf mango will obtain about 1/3 to 2/3 the height of a standard depending on cultivar. However, the standard reaches around 70' upon maturity! So understand that a dwarf mango is not a small tree in comparison to other plants.

• Citruslover1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really?? Wow!! Didn't know that. Thanks again Hermitian for your knowledge. Even if I prune the tree I wouldnt be able to train it to adapt and stay smaller?

• greenman62
    9 years ago

you can search for "condo mango" also
    some places sell them like that...

Pine Island is one that delivers.
    i have had good plants from them shipped to me.
    I am sure there are several others.

Pine Island has some info on their website about different ones also
    (i hear the Ice Cream has awesome flavor)

check the link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/condo.shtml

This post was edited by greenman62 on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 11:55

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

Condo Mango -- unpruned -- is a 35' tree in the ground under suitable care in a dozen years. Many capable people here in San Diego county have tried growing them on balconies etc. and failed after a few years (dead plant).

Growing them in a pot outdoors in late Spring and through the Summer as Citruslover1 would like to do is problematic unless you have free electricity (or surplus cash) for indoor lighting. I would expect you could get it to produce a few viable fruit for several years, but before it could get to the stage of producing a crop you would be fighting the size of the roots and trunk. Being completely rootbound in a 25 gallon pot after a few years is entirely possible.

• Citruslover1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Greenman62 for your input. I will check out link. Thanks again Hermitian. I definitely do not want to kill a tree. So maybe a mango tree is just not for me. Unless I move to a much warmer zone. Would love to grow anything but sometimes not possible I guess.

• Citruslover1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I visited that link Greenman62. Thank you. I remember visiting that sight in the past just didn't remember the link. Lol I wonder if it really is possible to maintain the size of that tree just by pruning. I read it said easily 6 foot. Don't know very confused. Because I know trees, plants do expand, grow in roots. So I wonder if pruning would even help. Don't want it to grow any taller than 6 foot. And I definately don't want to rootbind it. Its going to be a hard decision to make. Because I know myself if the tree ends up dying I'm not going to be very happy..

• gnappi
    9 years ago

The pickering can be kept REALLY small. Mine is but 3' tall and it's been in the ground over 3 years.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

I have a Cogshall that is almost 8 years old and I prune it to keep it small due to the location of the tree (close to my wall of the house) in the front yard...the problem with pruning (pugging) hard yearly...you have a very good chance of skipping a year with no fruits that year you "pugged"...but you can maintain it to 6-7 ft if you truly are committed :o)

This was taken March 2014 before "pugging"

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Taken right after a good pugging...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

No blooms this year, but that was expected due to the hard pugging...

I wish my Pickering was a true dwarf like gnappi's...not sure if the rootstock they used for my tree was a very vigorous one but I would not consider my Pickering a small tree at all :o(

Pickering Mango Taken May 16, 2012 right after planting

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Taken Aug. 29, 2014

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

My 5ft Cogshall when it had fruits in 2013

Just to clarify...Pickering is one of the best mango I've ever tasted...even though I bought mine for the dwarf characteristics and it didn't quite pan out that way...I LOVE Pickering!!