Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denagerb

Some questions about Blue Star

denagerb
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new here and generally don't post in forums but I don't seem to be able to find the answers to my questions easily online and the sales guy we ended up with at the only store near us didn't seem to interested in selling me a Blue Star. So hopefully someone here can help me!! (Please :) my husband and I are in the process of converting a barn into our house and so I get to design a brand new kitchen!! (My dream come true!!) Our new home is in Rual Manitoba, where the power goes out semi regularly in the winter and there is no natural gas so we will have to have propane delivered to satisfy our dream of cooking with gas. We have 4 kids and I'm a pretty great ;) and serious cook... Which is great because there isn't a decent restraunt for about 100km... So long story short I've been coveting an enormous range/ multiple ovens for a while now. I think I've settled on the Blue Star Platinum series only thing is is I can't find much out about the oven that come with the range as opposed to the wall ovens. 1) are the ovens that come with the range the same as the wall ovens? 2) any opinions out there as far as gas oven vs electric for Blue Star? 3) I bake all our own bread, mostly artisan style loaves (sometimes in the Dutch oven, and sometimes steaming my oven by pouring water into the pan) and regularly turn the oven on to 550F so I'm interested to know what the "proof" and "stone bake" modes listed as features of the wall ovens do.. Anyone with experience in these out there? Opinions? 4) will I hate the size of the small oven on the 48" range? I like the look of a range way more then wall ovens/ cooktop and while looks aren't everything they count.
Thanks so much for all your help in advance :)

Comments (13)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The oven in the range should be similar to Bluestar's GAS wall ovens. However the Proof and Stone bake modes are on their ELECTRIC wall ovens only. The Bluestar range is gas only, it does not have an electric oven option. That would be dual fuel, and Bluestar does not manufacture those.

Reviews on the Platinum have been mixed so far. There were apparently some pretty bad issues at the beginning with the oven, but someone on this forum who got one recently really likes theirs.

Since you don't have natural gas, you might want to look into induction as an option. Personally I would take that any day over propane. It will boil faster, be more responsive, safer, cleaner, and won't heat up your kitchen as much.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

If your power goes out, I don't see how induction is a good choice for you. I would go with a Blue Star RNB, not the Platinum. If is simpler and has been in production for many years and can be fixed easily if something goes wrong.

I love my 36" Blue Star gas range. I think the oven bakes beautifully. I wondered about the small oven too when I was considering a 48", but the feedback was that folks seemed to like it, except for the fact that it doesn't have a window. People also said that the small oven is surprisingly roomy.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Given her location, I would only do induction if I had a backup generator. It would be nice to be able to fire up the range top if you lost electric power. The Bluestar is all gas. They are coming out with an electric wall oven, but it's still a few months away.

We have been told that the oven issue with the Platinum range has been corrected. But, we are still waiting for a few posts from actual users to indicate the fix is satisfactory.

Capital has an open burner, duel fuel range that you might find interesting.

What might be a problem in your situation is ventilation and make up air. There are lots of threads on that issue. Help yourself. If it proves to be a problem, then you are back to the induction option with electric ovens.

What you are going to have to do is a lot of research on this thread. There is a lot of information. Good luck with your choices. Dinner sounds pretty good at your house.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Good point, missed that about the power outages!

• denagerb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info so far!
    Induction is out for the power outage reason but also because I cook a lot with cast iron and it has done a number on the glass top stoves I've owned in the past... And I don't like cleaning them, or looking at them :/
    I don't think the ventilation will be too much of an issue. The power going out is super annoying and happens more frequently then anywhere else Ive lived but I wouldn't be looking to host a party or anything while its out.
    Good point about going with the simpler model that has been in production longer though.
    Would anyone happen to know who it was that liked their new Blue Star? I'd love to ask someone who has the newer one just to compare to some of the older reviews I've heard.
    I will look into Capitol, haven't seen one so I hadnt considered it. Any other suggestions for different brands to consider?

• beefstew01
    9 years ago

There can be a multitude of changes made to the doors of bluestar ranges.
    They have always been stagnant, design-wise, from the very day that they started making the Garland Commercial Industries (now Manitowoc) range for the home.

Granted, the star burner, direct descendant (less power) of Garland's, is solid but it's 35 years old--there's got to be a better way.

prizer-painter has not developed the range in any significant way since its inception.

The first bluestar range from the Garland designs is hardly different from the ones that are made today.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

"The first bluestar range from the Garland designs is hardly different from the ones that are made today."

That is why I just ordered one. Simple. No computer chips. That star-shaped burner is a keeper.

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

We've been in our new house just a month, so my experience with our 48" Platinum is still limited. We are very happy with it. In this model the small oven does have a window and I love having the option of using the it when I don't need the space of the larger oven. The broiler in the larger oven is beyond fast- you really can't walk away from it while in use or the food WILL burn :) We've used the griddle but not the grill yet, and I currently have it set with the griddle in place and the stainless still cover over two other burners to extend my prep area. The simmer burner does run a bit hotter than I would like, so I am going to research some of the online solutions to that. We've had no issues whatsoever with the "hot doors" concern so many have voiced. Yes, we needed makeup air per our county codes, but haven't had a problem with that, either. We are quite satisfied so far and would purchase it again.

• denagerb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your reply TamaraTomNC! Glad to hear you are happy with your Platnium :) Do you bake much? I know you said that you haven't used it too much but have you found the newer oven power burner to be as awesome as Blue Stars website would suggest? Have you found the small oven small, or a nice useful size? I totally agree that having a slightly smaller one when I don't need the full oven would be nice. I haven't seen a Blue Star 48" in about a year. The appliance store that sells them in Winnipeg only had a 36". They had a 48" Wolf and the small oven was quite small I thought. It didn't fit a standard residential sized cookie sheet. I imagin I wouldn't bake cookies in the small oven but I was just using that as a size reference.
    Someone on another forum recommended Capital.. Anyone who would like to compare the Blue Star to Capital for me? Price? The Capital sure looks a little prettier online, a little less utilitarian, but still high BTUs.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I thought of you when I read the latest posts on this thread. It's a recent Bluestar Platinum owner. The thread is: RE: Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range

• User
    9 years ago

here's the discussion about the Platinum series- use the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Platinum Bluestar

• denagerb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@HomeChef59 and @alexr thanks for the tips there was some great info in there :)

• TamaraTomNC
    9 years ago

Dena, I do bake but all I've done so far is an apple pie and a sheet cake, and I've used the big oven for both. I've baked appetizers and frozen pizza in the smaller oven. Other than the smaller oven being a bit slow (haven't gotten a thermometer yet to calibrate it) I really like having the smaller size available. Regular cookie sheets fit just fine, though my Wilton 17.25 x 11.5 jelly roll pan is just a bit too long for it. The power burner in the large oven is really powerful and I'm still getting used to it. The only issue so far I've had with my range is the first time I used the griddle I didn't season it well enough and I created quite the mess with a steak. Good luck with your decision!