Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joetoe

Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door

John near Toledo
9 years ago

I would like to know if this door would be a very good door to use in a finished basement Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door?
How good do they hold up?
Are they a strong will built door?

I am looking at one from Home Depot this is the infro on it: Masonite Model # 73172 Internet # 100091456 Store SKU # 310889
Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door.
At $64.00 is it a average door or a chap door?

The basement is dry.
If you could give a few ponters it would help.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

I assume you are talking about a Masonite molded composite hollow core door with a textured finish.

For a stronger, more substantial door you should consider the solid core option for this door.

For a more realistic, higher quality apprearance you should consider the smooth finish option for this door.

For a less formal interior door you should consider fewer panels.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Honestly they are about the bottom of the food chain and the about the cheapest interior prehung door available (except maybe either luan or flush hardboard). Mediocre quality, mediocre durability, but at the same time track home and developers use them everyday. I would second Reno and opt for at the very least solid core and three hinges.

• worthy
    9 years ago

I've used them many times, even in high-end homes twenty years ago. (Though not anymore.) They hold up well, accept paint well. Unless this is a high-end home--say a million plus--is it really worth spending the extra money for a solid-core door for the basement? Yes, you can kick a hole in them pretty easily vs. a solid core door. But is that the way you live??

• User
    9 years ago

Hey, that was an accident!

• John near Toledo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Renovator8 What was a accident?

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

Renovator8 is joking that hes the one who kicked a hole in a door. ;)

• Andrew K.
    9 years ago

Millworkman - what would your suggestions be for a 1 3/4" solid core paintable interior door?

Currently looking at Masonite/SupaDoors but am open to other options. I want a substantial feeling door when they are opened/closed. Btw - regular 8' ceiling heights on 3 levels. Thanks!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Masonite/Supadoor would be fine in my opinion. You may look at a Trustile MDF door as well as a real stile and rail door will be more stable than a drop routed door (one piece of MDF that is carved). And please do your self the favor of upgrading the butt hinges. The standard off the shelf prehung door hinges are a cheap pot metal type hinge with a crappy brass plated finish. Also and this is my opinion but find a lumberyard or real building material supply house and not a box store for any millwork.

This post was edited by millworkman on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 8:42