Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adr1234

Bathroom Wallboard replacement

adr1234
9 years ago

A suggestion needed , tile in our 2nd floor standin bathroom pooped out. On investigation and post ripping off tile found that water had leaked through grout and damaged the wall board which now needs replacement.

1. Insulation was wet and therefore has to be replaced.
2. Wall board is rotten, tyvek still present intact between wallboard and sidings.
3. Water leak identified as through the interior (tile grout)

Now have following task that needs to be completed:

1. Remove sidings
2. remove Wallboard/tyvek.
3. Install couple of 2x4 alongside very partially deroded studs.
4. Replace insulation
5. Install Cement board
6. Install tiles

Can I just undertake steps 3, 5 and 6 now and rest in Spring, as sidings may crack or break if i meddle with them in 30 deg temperature

or
do i have to necessary take care of exterior first (step 1 to 4) before i take up step 5 and 6.

please do let us know your recommendations.

Thanks

ADR

( I am reposting this thread)

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ADR:

The first order of business is determining why and how the wall board failed.

• adr1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Water leaked through the tiles and over time it rotted, resulting in changing of wall board.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

If the original studs (including toe plates) are still wet, it could pose a problem to seal them back up again next to new, dry wood. The new wood could suck up the moisture from the old wood it's touching.

The other thing I'd worry about is when you're prying off the siding, and cutting/wrenching out the old studs, it could vibrate the shower wall enough that it could cause cracking to the new tile.