Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Vent Fan Dilemma

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Looking for a very quiet fan for our 5x5 powder room. Panasonic seems to be the top brand, especially for low noise levels. I wanted a 50 CFM fan since the space is so small. BUT, the 50 CFM model only comes with a 4" duct and ours is 3". Some other models come with a 3" adapter, but they are min 80 CFM's which I fear could be too high for the space, and they are also not as quiet.

I read that you should not try to use a smaller duct than the fan was designed for or it will not work properly. I alos read that you should not use an oversized fan for the space - not sure why.

Would it be better to go with and 80 CFM that comes with a 3 inch adapter (and also has a higher noise rating of .8 vs .3 for the 50 CFM with 4" vent and no optional adapter?

Still hoping DH will try to replace the vent but its between first and second floor so that may not be so easy.

Comments (7)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

The Panasonic Whisper Fans are unbelievably quiet. Unless you have a mini sauna in that 5x5 space, I wouldn't worry about a larger capacity fan not being able to move the air out as fast as it could A noisy fan rarely gets used, and all things considered with just a toilet and sink, you probably could get by with an air freshener.

-Babka

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

When you have company is that the room that they use? If so, then I would consider the 80CFM fan. Some fan noise would conceal stray sounds that might come from the powder room when it is in use.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting observation Babka about a noisy fan not being used. The fan we have now isn't used but cant be sure why. I think its just because it requires another switch to be flipped. And Jerzeesgirls suggestion that a little noise might not be a bad thing could be valid- this is the bathroom guests use. So now I'm thinking we should not worry about a little noise and am also considering a sensor switch that turns it on and off automatically. Or put if on the same switch as the lights if we don't need to use a dimmer. Dimmer might be used because we will have only recessed lights and they may be too dim in some cases and too bright in others.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

We have an 80cfm Panasonic Whisper fan in DH's 5x8 bathroom. No way is there enough noise to "mask" any other sounds. I'm the only person that can here the thing and that's only if I'm trying to hear it and it's totally silent in the rest of the house. It's a great fan and superbly does what it's intended to do. As we did in my bathroom, we put it on a timer because you'll forget to turn it off since you can't hear it. I have Toto Washlet and don't need a ventilation except for removing steam/moisture.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Just curious...whenever we stay at a motel that has the fan go on when the light does, that ROAR makes me not want to turn on the light! Very Annoying. For the few times a person uses the bathroom near our livingroom with guests present the conversation isn't usually silent enough to hear any noises. If we do we just all look embarrassed ( sometimes snicker) and then continue talking.

A sensor???? a stink or noise sensor? Methinks not.

In ladies rooms that I frequent, if we think we are going to make noise, we flush to cover the sound. What do men do?...if they are like my husband, they probably smile, proudly.

Don't over think this one.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Is a fan required by code in a powder room? We never use ours because we poo in other bathrooms. Guests usually aren't here long enough to poo in the powder room, and overnight guests use the guest bath. Maybe one of the new Kohler stink seats would be a solution.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting comment that maybe a fan isn't needed. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that - just in case someone leaves a smell, I would definitely want something to help remove it, and keep it from wandering into the family room. As far as guests not being there long enough to poo, all I can say is that you must not have any elderly relatives. They need to go when they need to go, and they often have digestive problems that result in smells.