Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?

It took a long time to get through all of the bells and whistles. Some things are missing, like Carolina gardening. I'm not happy! :(

Comments (85)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Found out how to retrieve the cache on clippings- public ones only, your private ones are still apparently gone. And how to retrieve your cached exchange list.

You type in your user name and clippings into google, and within the first few entries should be something titled clippings by "your name here". you don't click on the big blue link or the littler green one under it- you click on the tiny arrow after the green link and a pop up box marked "cached" will come up and you click on that to get your cached page. You can also do this to find your old trade list if you need to by using your name and "exchange list".

Figured I'd share the info around :)

• galinas
    9 years ago

Like button? Are you kidding me? What is it, another social network? Common, we work hard in the garden, and come here to find INFORMATION, not number of likes. Hate this transition from the first second...

• galinas
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And NO, I am not galina_hs. I guess that is my last time I am here. That was a great site - gardenweb. But now - no way.

galinas

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Thanks Beesneeds, I was missing that little green arrow and I found all my clippings and saved them to a PDF file on my computer. :-)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

No problem prariemoon. I didn't realize I had posted that right under where forgottenone had just told me how to do it, lol. Glad it was still able to help someone :)

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

This sucks!!!!!!!!

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Zeedman, I have a recent copy of your list saved in my MS Word documents. There was info in another thread about getting lists from cached pages so I used that to get yours. Let me know if you need a copy.

I'll try to tell you how I got it so you (or other people) can get theirs, too.

Do a google search for zeedman "exchange page" gardenweb (of course if you want someone other than zeedman be sure to change that part)

Then click on the "cached" link (on my screen it is on the right end of the second line in the search results...and it is a very light color)

This will bring you to a page that doesn't look like what you want until you have scrolled down quite a a bit. Do not click on the link at the top of the page, instead scroll down to eventually get to your list.

I do not see how to email people now....maybe through the "follow" or "like" functions?

So I hope you get your list back and also that it can be available for others to see again. I know that I've learned from your list and some others and am copying them tonight in case I can't get to them later.

Post here if you can't get your list and can't email me. Somehow, I'll get you the copy I have.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Sorry, I gave info about a Yahoo search. In a Google search there is an arrow/triangle icon on the second line. Click it and it brings up the word "cached". Click that and it brings you to the page where you need to scroll down quite a bit.

...Hope I explained it right this time...

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

I've been "fixing" some shortened posts over in Butterfly Garden by adding info back in via new comments. The FAQs also allow comments now.

prairiemoon mentioned how the New England books recommendation FAQ got severely shortened. I got the cached version for you but the missing info is so long, it will have to be added back in via multiple comments. Figured one of you would do the work if you really still want the info. Don't wait forever since the cached pages can go away anytime.

What books are recommended for New England gardeners?

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    9 years ago

Houzz should fix posts getting cut off. This is supposed to be an info exchange site not social media.

• cakbu z9 CA
    9 years ago

HATE the change to Houzz!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I hate it too! It was fine the way it was before. I couldn't get on using Firefox last night. I must have tried 20 times. It took 3 tries to get on this morning using IE. I prefer Firefox because it saves Most Visted sites. If it ain't broke why did you fix it?!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

No, I'm not stuttering. This is me, zackey. I had to change my user name to get on here.

• Helen Zone 6 Ohio
    9 years ago

I still can't find the Tomato Site. They must have deleted the whole thing.

• Helen Zone 6 Ohio
    9 years ago

I had to change my entire name because of my e-mail being changed a couple weeks ago. Don't like the new name but I guess I will have to live with it.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

ancientgardener... the tomato site is now under "Growing tomatoes", and the section specific to pests and diseases is under "Tomato pests and diseases".

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Yep, the tomato forum is under Growing Tomatoes on the main forum directory. I had trouble finding it as well yesterday.

Rodney

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm glad you found it, Rodney! That is one of my favorite sites. There sure have made a mess of this!

• wildflowerarchitect
    9 years ago

Just found out ... NOT happy ... first, wasted 45 minutes getting houzz account updated to get on, second, now I have to find everything again! Loved the old gardenweb! And why I quit using houzz in the first place? They got too intrusive, constantly trying to "link" me to something they thought I would like, posting random things based on my browsing habits, bombarding me with ads and emails, again, NOT HAPPY guess I will be looking for a new place to talk gardening, open to suggestions

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is screwed up. I just tried to add my garden zone to my user name now, instead of wertach I'm now. Gardening zone 7-b

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

wow i'm shocked by this!! this is my first post in the new format to see what's up.

overall, i'm sad. i loved the web 1.0 format of gardenweb, it was a welcome break from razzle dazzle social media sites. and the commenting format felt clearer actually. i feel like i'm floating away in all this white....

ah well. progress doesn't leave anything alone, even the good stuff. ;)

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

dang. and it's changed my name to my houzz name. i'm slowjane dammit! bah.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

fixed! also this thread just came up in a related post - lest we enjoy our rose-colored glasses a bit too much lol.

on the other hand i still miss gw original (*pours a little coffee in compost to memorialize*)http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2560084/lost-pages-again-come-on-gwget-your

• woodnymph2_gw
    9 years ago

I am very unhappy. I miss the old list. I can't find Readers Paradise. I can't find the navigation button on the left aforementioned.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

woodnymph- Not sure where it is on the forum directory page(s) but here's the Reader's Paradise Forum (found in a google search).

Rodney

• zzackey
    9 years ago

This is gonna be fun (not!) trying to remember everyone's new name!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Cuke, where are you used to posting where language like that is allowed? Not in the GardenWeb.

Woodnymph, you can find your Reader's Paradise over in the Home Forums page, just like always. It's on the right hand side, towards the top, under miscellany.

You can move from the Home Forums to the Garden Forums with just a click, as always.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Rhizo, just signed in to quick say that I'm glad to see one of the True Oldies is still around here! Maybe all is not lost! ;-)

Skybird

• keuky
    9 years ago

Hi, I periodically used to peruse gardenweb and just noticed an old post I want to read has been truncated with the forum change. I attempted to load the cached version as someone earlier suggested but guess that no longer works. If anyone has saved this posting in a .doc or .pdf and can share it some way, I would be very grateful. I am trying to go organic with my St. Augustine lawn in SW Florida. Here is the original article but I would certainly accept similar substitutes. Many thanks!

Organic Lawn Care FAQ

captaincompostal(z7 AL Bham)January 1, 2013

• Emily H
    9 years ago

Hi there, If you see examples of threads that have been truncated, please shoot us a message through support.houzz.com We are actively working on resurrecting this content. Thanks!

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    9 years ago

"Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?"

Not me. Thanks, in part, to Emily and her team. Time to chill ...

• Creativeguy_z6_CT
    9 years ago

The alternative being no Gardenweb, I'm all for the new thingy. That said, there was an intangible element of "homegrown" about the original site that really appealed to the gardener in all of us, I suspect. I'm appreciative of the efforts put in to continue this great forum.

• catherinet
    9 years ago

I just find this visually unpleasant to look at.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Me too!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I'm with daninthe dirt and creativeguy. The staff here has been as supportive and helpful as possible, even bent over backwards in some cases to fix things. The choice was this or nothing at all and this is working well, even improved in several ways. It is well past time for all to adjust and chill or move on.

Dave

• zzackey
    9 years ago

You are right, Dave. Sorry I griped again. I miss the green screen.

• User
    9 years ago

zzackey enough already. the green was ugly. nough said

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Some directions in the thread linked below for an add-on to change your screen appearance in the new GW.

changing houzz background thread

• zzackey
    9 years ago

To each his own grid. I find the white blinding.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Thanks NHBabs. Done complaining!

• Nitsua
    9 years ago

I'm happy
    with most everything except for the "whiteness" of the website. It's extremely fatiguing to me as though I’d
    gone out and stared at the snow on a sunny day.
    I’ve found that wearing sunglasses when spending time here helps quite a
    bit. The old GW had a background image
    that would help frame the content and reduce fatigue.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I was just getting used to the new format and then wham they deleted the Canadian exchange from the list. I sent an email inquiring as to why but haven't heard back. All in all they seem to be doing their best to unruffle our feathers :).

Annette

• ffreidl
    9 years ago

I'm with prairiemoon2 on the privacy thing. I've already had the creepy experience of houzz emailing me to one email address when I signed up with a different one, and I'm not pleased.

I hate the "like" buttons - they seem totally counter to the idea of people actually communicating with each other in a way that goes hand in hand with not being able to reply directly to a comment ("click 'like' instead!").

Bottom line: This new format really represents everything I hate about the social internet (intrusiveness, the feeling of your every move being tabulated and tracked, your method of interaction being subtly manipulated, etc.), most of which GW was blissfully free from in, as slowjane put it, its "web 1.0" way.

So, I guess we were lucky for a while, and now I'll either adjust or be gone.

And fyi, I did use the like buttons in this thread, but only as feedback for the houzz staff in case they're paying attention to people's reactions to the new site : )

9 years ago

I agree completely about the "Like" buttons. They just discourage real conversation. But we can just ignore them. Some people seem to get an odd sense of pleasure in using them. To each their own. As to privacy, you give anyone your e-mail address these days, and you can assume it'll be given to someone else. Get used to it. My junk mail volume went up noticeably after I joined GW many years ago, no doubt thanks to NBCUniversal/iVillage that controlled it.

I have to say that those who measure the value of GW on the basis of the format it is presented in really seem to be thinking backwards. If that's enough to drive you away, then you may not belong here in the first place.

• ffreidl z5a
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Dan, I think you may have been talking to me with that slightly harsh last paragraph? Well, it looks like I'm actually sticking around, but fyi, regarding privacy, it's not so much that they give your email address to someone else - in my case, they connected two separate accounts with two different emails, passwords, etc, to each other. I find that pretty invasive.

9 years ago

No, not directed at you. There are many recent threads here where people are bemoaning the color scheme of the new garden web. Too white! Too bright! I like the old light green! That's the "format" complaint I was talking about. But yes, you used that word in a different sense.

Not obvious that Houzz gave my e-mail to anyone, but the older owners of GW likely did, as I said. Just sayin'. I think you can assume your old moves were being tabulated and tracked by iVillage. You think NBC Universal was doing this site just because they liked gardening??

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

About the "like" button. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I can see the usefulness of it. It's an easy way to say, "thanks" or "I like what you said" when I have nothing more to add at that moment.

I don't want people to go to the trouble of opening a thread with the expectation of a new comment to read, and then all it is, is me saying "thanks," or saying "nice picture." So I "like" it instead.

• Miss_Moose (Winnipeg, Canda. Zone 2)
    9 years ago

I hate the new format. I'm not a fan of unexpected change in a place of my life where I've given trust and grown attached to a resource that helped me do a new thing. It's just my luck though, whenever I find something, it always seems to experience a "big change" shortly thereafter. Not sure why, but I've noticed the trend over the years.

I came here to find help for my very first garden, and in my mind was planning to come right back here about this time, revving up for garden #2 in zone 2/3. Came here, and thought I was lost. Found the garden forum buried in the website, but at least the vegetable garden forum still exists. I hate the white on grey scheme, it's hard on the eyes. Don't you know lots of us gardeners are older and reading shouldn't be made any harder?? :( R.I.P. Old Gardenweb.com. *sheds a tear*

• PRO
    Delia Shades
    8 years ago

We're having problems with some random comments on all our projects that are non-grammatical and inane. (Example below.) When you're trying to provide a custom service, it gives the worst possible impression. What's up with some random hacker spoiling a site?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Seems like there would be a better place for this type of complaint than in here.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting