Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ski2die

Do any of you see any red flags with this design?

TyBarr
9 years ago

We got a landscape design for our new yard that we are happy with. I just want to know if any of you see anything about this that you might say from your experience we might want to modify, such as locations of things, plants/trees that might get too big for their location and cause problems down the road, things we may want to consider adding to the design, switch out one element for another, etc. The house is in northern Utah and is a south-facing home. The back yard is flat, and the front yard has some slope up from the street. It is a little over a half-acre.

Close-up of front yard

Close up of back yard

And here's the plant list

Comments (12)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I think you should ask in Conifers Forum. Of the shrubs and perennials I see no red flags.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

It is a bit hard to tell since the backyard one isn't as close up. Maybe split it into two close ups, but I would make sure you have space for some chaises around the future pool area.

Sorry can't answer on the plant side as we have different zone requirements.

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for taking some time to look at it. Here are bigger photos of the back yard, the first is from the pool backward

The second is from the pool forward

One thing I have thought about is maybe adding a sitting wall partially around the firepit between the firepit and the grass, but I worry it may cut off the grass area too much, especially when the pool goes in down the road.

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another thing I have wondered about is a path to the back yard one one side of the house. The only problem is that on the driveway side, we have a pad for our garbage cans, which makes it uninviting for a pathway to the back yard. On the opposite side of the house we have our air conditioning units, which also seems kind of uninviting, but better. At the shortest point, the side with the AC units is only 8-ft to the property line, but I thought we could maybe still have a flagstone path going through there.

• User
    9 years ago

Lyfia makes a good point on the pool. Minimum 10' for chaise lounges and circulation. Typically, a pool has to meet zoning setbacks as well. Keep in mind that people typically like to be able to be near the shallow end (for when kids are present), facing the water, and facing the sun at the same time.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

These are general comments about the layout. I'm not studying any of the plant materials. For my taste, bed lines are a little loopy at the front yard island and around the house at the top of sheet in first picture. I would smooth these out into simpler, unified arcing shapes. I think you're better off without a semi-circular bench seat separating f. pit area from lawn. Movable seating or pedestal seating of some sort would seem better to me. The trampoline is a major focal element of the back yard, again, making bed lines there a bit loopy for my taste. I think I would rather see the tramp incorporated into the play area and the bed line developed into more of a broad arc. At the back face of the house near the two outside corners, shrubs extend beyond the wall face. To me, it's a misfit look. I would eliminate each corner-most shrub and wrap the corners with a lower, perennial mass.

• carlaclaws
    9 years ago

You have several invasive exotics in the plan. The Norway maple and Hibiscus syriacus will take over your garden. The wisteria is also a problem. (Even American wisteria, W. frutescens isn't native to Utah.) Norway spruce is also showing up uninvited in natural areas. The privet, burning bush, and crimson pigmy barberry, ditto. I strongly recommend using native alternatives to all of these. At least research their impact in your state before you plant them.

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I really love all the feedback. The pool deck should be easy to control, but for now it is a future component, since we can't afford to put one in right now.

Yardvaark, I see what you mean about it being loopy, although I'm not sure what you mean by smoothing out some of them into simpler, unified arcing shapes.

Carlaclaws, I started pulling up images online for some of the plants and have decided that I am going to need to make changes to some of the plants. Luckily, we have a neighbor who owned a nursery for many years and now buys plants for nurseries. We are going to meet with him to choose plants, and I will mention the idea of keeping with native alternatives.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

examples of lines that are less loopy ...

BTW, I think I forgot to say, it seems like creating a pathway connection between driveway area and back yard would be the better option. There are always ways to hide trash containers.

(The drawing shows up minuscule size for me but expands when hovering over it.)

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, yes. I see now. Thanks again.

• ciaotaylor
    7 years ago

Who did the initial design?

• TyBarr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ciaotaylor, it was Paul Keeler at Deseret Land Design