Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyhousewife

Are full overlay cabinets worth $5k extra?

nerdyhousewife
9 years ago

Our builder's up-charge for full overlay is $5k. (Inset isn't an option.)

Is it worth it? The style of the houses in the neighborhood we're building in is modern mediterranean, and the houses are running for $575k-$850k.

Comments (22)

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Yes. They look way more modern, imo.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I can't speak to real estate values, because that's hardly an issue.

Do you like 'em? It's a nice smooth look, but WHY would they be any more than any other kind of overlay cabinet?

Are you doing slab? I think that's crazy and I hope he plans to kiss you for the check.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

That seems weird (unless they were really really cheap to begin with). Can you do frameless? They're always full overlay :) I think non full overlay (not inset) looks old fashioned and not in a good way - and reminds people of the not attractive 70's-80's kitchens. (not all of them just the ones that are unappealing now)

• gwlake
    9 years ago

I do not think that is her question She is referring to the cabinet construction

Full overlay has to do with the way the doors are constructed A full panel or a panel with a border. I do not know the exact terminology. My answer is it depends. Is this kitchen for you over the next years? Or will you sell in a few years? No one visiting your house will know if the cabinets are full overlay or not. I did not opt for them.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Hmm. Maybe I got my terms crossed as well

I thought in full overlay the cabinet doors butted up against each other with little space in between and then classic partial overlay they had more space.

These are bathrooms but the point is the same:

Partial Overlay

Kraftmaid Bathroom Designs Montclair Maple Square Full & Partial Overlay · More Info

Full Overlay

Kraftmaid Bathroom Designs Montclair Maple Square Full & Partial Overlay · More Info

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

lenzai, yes, you're right.

Seems like partial overlay is "out" nowadays, but I expect it in time it might be "retro." I personally think that on partial overlay cabs, simpler doors and drawer fronts are more appealing.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Oaktown,

That's a very good description of what I was trying to say. I've seen original Hoosier cabinets with simple doors in partial overlay and they look good because it makes historical sense and conveys a handmade feeling. For a new build I'm just not sure it's a good idea.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Let me quote some brilliant soul:

Do what appeals to you. By the time you sell, the first thing someone's going to redo is the kitchen, anyway.

Why not for a new build?

• zwizzle1
    9 years ago

Only you know whether the extra $5000 is worth it to you. I had to weigh the same question for my cabinets which are already running north of $20K and opted to put the money into more functional appliances & fixtures rather than the cabinets. When I looked at the partial overlay for my cabinets, it was esthetically acceptable to me.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

If the cabinets are frameless to give you more room they may be worth that much more. I would look at pictures of both and decide what you find appealing as the style is constantly changing.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

some partial overlay are more "full" than others so it really depends if you would really notice the difference. It may be more cost effective to spend those dollars on more drawers, corner solutions, end panels, toekick drawers, glass fronts, things that really give your kitchen functionality and beauty. There is no space difference between partial and full overlay for framed cabinets. Full overlay does need more thought in design so that cabinet doors do not bump into things when they are opened.

• User
    9 years ago

I would spend that on drawers before spending it on anything else!

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

that's weird. Fully inset I would expect to be more expensive because each door and drawer needs to be fitted to the opening to get an even gap all the way around. Neither partial nor full overlay requires any finesse from the cabinet maker so shouldn't require any up charge.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

You're most welcome. It's all in the eye of the beholder! If you it's not an issue for you then spend the $ elsewhere.

• User
    9 years ago

Full overlay uses more beauty wood, and is thus more expensive.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    9 years ago

There is absolutely NO REASON to up-charge for full overlay. The doors are not more expensive, nor is the hardware. They are no more difficult to assemble and adjust. A $5,000 up-charge is just outrageous unless the kitchen is the size of a football stadium.

Of course, the surcharge may not be the builder's doing. Factory cabinets are very competitive on the manufacturer's "standard cabinets". Any small variation from standard usually results in an additional charge, which is how the companies make their money. So this may be a manufacturer "upgrade".

• deedles (zone 4b or 5 depending on whom
    9 years ago

That does seem like a hefty upcharge to me, too. I'd rather spend it on drawers or appliances or a vacation or something good.

• User
    9 years ago

Even with a custom cabinet maker who charges for beauty wood by the square foot, a full overlay door will cost more than a partial overlay door. It simply uses more wood, thus the additinal expense.

5K overall for a difference in cabinet doors will have to do more with the edging profiles of the stiles and rails, veneer vs. reverse raised panel, as well as partial vs. full overlay. There's more than *just* full vs. partial ovelay in consideration.

Like anything when dealing with a builder, there is also the actual cost difference between the spec'd items and *what the builder will charge* for the difference. That difference usually includes a change order fee, plus the builder's markup. What may be only a 3K difference if bought directly from a cabinet company can easily be 5K be the time the associated fees are tacked onto it.

• Buehl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Full overlay is not necessarily for "more beauty wood" nor is it the same as frameless (both comments I saw above).

Framed cabinets (with the frame around the opening) can be partial overlay, full overlay, or inset.

Frameless cabinets have no frame around the opening - it's just the walls. Frameless cabinets offer more storage space than framed. They are not offered by all cabinet manufacturers or custom cabinetmakers.

For looks (form), "full overlay" does look more high-end and, IMHO, nicer. However, sometimes "partial" is fine since, as someone mentioned, some have less empty space around the doors than others, Some partials do not have stiles in the middle of wider cabinets (like Lenzai's picture above), while others so. I will note that in some case partial can be better b/c you don't need as much filler since the doors open well within the cabinet space. (Full overlay doors often open on the edge of the cabinet so in corners, for example, filler is needed.) In our kitchen, all but one cabinet is full overlay. The corner sink base is partial and eliminated the need for filler b/w the corner cabinets and the adjacent cabinets on each side.

If you are OK or like the look of "partial overlay" and would rather spend the 5K on more functionality - then do it! Since this is a new build, I assume you will be in the house for many years to come, so don't plan for resale b/c you don't know what will be the current fad when you sell (unless you have a reliable crystal ball or you are a precog!)

BTW....unless we know where you live, the cost of homes does not tell us anything. Where I live, the #s you stated are for mid-level homes and either partial or full would be fine in them. In other areas, those #s might be for high-end homes or for low-end homes!

• lolauren
    9 years ago

Is $5000 for every cabinet in your house, including kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, etc. and does the house include A LOT of cabinets?

I personally much prefer the look of full overlay or inset. I agree with beuhl; IMO, they are more custom or higher-end looking. It might not be fair, but I think of partial overlay as something in a cheap build or an apartment.

• nerdyhousewife
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is $5k to upgrade *all* the cabinets in the house to full overlay, and does not include any other upgrades.

My other concern is that we want to bump out several of the cabinets, like those that hold the cooktop and master vanity sinks, and the oven and fridge are already naturally bumped out. Also, most of the cabinets end on a wall. So, there will be, at most, only two stacks of drawers in any particular run of cabinets, and the borders of most of these will expose the cabinet facing, and not look much different than partial overlay, anyway. It seems like the real pizazz of the full overlay is found in the long runs of cabinets, where tons of doors touch, but we won't have any of these.

We are in San Antonio, so the house we are building is three or four times the average home price. But, we're in San Antonio, where Mediterranean is still the main style of house being built, and trends are at least 10 years behind. I haven't seen any full overlay in the neighborhood, but I have seen built-in refrigerators, which we won't be doing. Not sure if I need to compensate.