Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Yet another L. A. thread - off the beaten path sights?

robo (z6a)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all,

The weather in Nova Scotia is unbearable, I have a friend doing a residence in Echo Park, and I'm considering a last minute 10 day trip to L. A.

I've never considered travelling there so I am a blank slate. Is there anything I definitely should see? (besides Hollyhock house). Top neighbourhoods to walk around?

My interests are: old/decrepit Hollywood, kitsch/americana/googie, mcm residential architecture, art especially craft and sculpture, Asian and fine food, Japanese and botanical gardens, charming neighbourhoods.

My friend is a fan of old Disney so I imagine we will end up there one day (hey, I already had the measles!). I will likely be spending most days alone exploring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I will likely stay in the city as I can't imagine driving (not a great city driver). Looking forward to escaping this frozen nightmare!

Comments (55)

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

A couple of years ago, my GF and I stayed in Beverly Hills during the Grammy's and just took a car for the day and drove around the hills in Beverly Hills-looking at houses and landscaping-then had a late lunch at some really good pizza place on Melrose. You could probably see a lot on the tour buses too though.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm staying in Echo Park -- but really what I meant is for the most part I'll likely limit myself to places I can get to by transit .. no San Diego, maybe no Venice, maybe no Disneyland. Or maybe rent a car or uber for a day here and there. I'm bracing myself for really long bus rides, though!

chispa, what's the design centre? That sounds fun! Oh, is it the Pacific Design Centre? That seems super interesting.

The Huntingdon sounds divine!!! When people say "droolworthy Chinese garden" I'm listening.

The dearly departed tours look like a hoot!

I now have tentative dates - March 6 to 13! I could go to the flea market!!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and I'll pack some sweaters and a rain jacket. But I'm escaping this (6" of solid ice on every sidewalk!)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

A vote for the Getty Museum (there are 2 Gettys - the Villa & the museum) - the gardens alone are worth the trip. LACMA is also enormous, wonderful & right next to the LaBrea Tarpits. Last time I went to LACMA, they had a marvelous exhibit of CA MCM design.

I also really enjoyed (if that's the right word) my visits to Hollywood Forever & Westwood Memorial cemeteries - so many stars to see! Had to do the Chinese Theatre too - that was very cool (Judy Garland's feet were microscopic) & IIRC,

it's almost around the corner from Charlie Chaplin's old studios that are now Henson's.

Another fun time was wandering around the canals in Venice - you can see so many cool homes there - many from their backyards.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'll add some other places that you might enjoy...
    Furniture and accessories shopping at HD Buttercup

Food shopping/eating at Original Farmers Market

Flower shopping at Flower Mart

• chispa
    9 years ago

I looked at a map. Never knew that area was called Echo Park and I have
    cut across that area to avoid traffic! Haven't been in LA that long.
    Seriously, send me a message. I have older kids that are in school all
    day and haven't been to some of the sites either. Yes, Pacific Design
    Center, has all the major design showrooms ... not cultural or touristy,
    but if you are into design, it has all the fabric/wallpaper eye candy you could want! I need to shop for some fabrics too ...

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Definitely look at renting a car, or you will be severely limited to places you can visit. I always get excellent deals on rental cars from LAX by booking on Costco.com travel. Usually around $15/day all in.

A place I really enjoyed walking around was the canals in Venice. You can check out some very nice homes there.

The Getty would be my number one spot to recommend.

My daughter lives in LA - not too far from where you will be staying. When she moved there I bought her the book, Walking L.A.. It has quite a few interesting walks in it.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Robo, crazy, we will be there 14-17th on our way to Hawaii ... ships that pass in the night!

Karen

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    9 years ago

Los Angeles Conservancy Walking Tours has lots of information, and a search feature that allows for period architecture.

Other lesser known places of interest are the Virginia Robinson Gardens in Beverly Hills (reservations required), Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Church (with Papa Cristos Greek taverna and market nearby), Grand Central Market, the Los Angeles Central Library, the Bradbury Building, the Doheny (Greystone) Mansion. (L.A. Conservancy may have additional information on the buildings and churches, and possibly on mid-century architecture.) If you're adventurous, there's always shopping in the Garment District in DTLA. If you're interested in seeing one of the California Missions established by the Spanish explorers and Father Serra, there's on in San Fernando, and another in San Gabriel. The Ballona Wetlands are near the Venice Canals (Lincoln & Jefferson), and worth a stop (and walk) to feel far removed from the city.

robo (z6a) thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much! I started the day feeling a little overwhelmed and badly oriented, but now I feel like I can plan my trip with confidence :) chispa, I haven't booked a flight yet, but when I do get my bearings and an itinerary together I'll email you.

Mtn, I thought you might think I was stalking your vacation! I actually wanted to go a bit later (end of March) but it didn't work with my friend's schedule.

• rich69b
    9 years ago

Definitely Getty Museum and Villa. I've never been to, but been planning to go to Museum of Tolerance one of these days. Both my boys went when they were in 8th grade, and they said that while it was depressing, it was also powerful and moving.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

This is so gardrnwebby amazing. A member in novo Scotia posts she will soon travel and be a 'stranger in a strange land'. Another replies, ' hey, I live here and can take you about to see a few things.' If I'd not been here for ten years, it would boggle my mind. Lovely, chispa. Lucky you, robo! Have fun and be sure to report back!!

9 years ago

This is right by the train station.

From yelp:

"Olvera Street, known as "the birthplace of Los Angeles," is a Mexican Marketplace that recreates a romantic "Old Los Angeles" with a block-long narrow, tree-shaded, brick-lined market with old structures, painted stalls, street vendors, cafes, restaurants and gift shops. Olvera Street was created in 1930 "to preserve and present the customs and trades of early California." Many of the merchants on Olvera Street today are descended from the original vendors.

More next.........

9 years ago

Take the Surfliner to so many beautiful places.. San Juan Capistrano , famous for its mission and swallows, is exactly where you step off the train. Check the schedule. You could do more than one stop in a day.

Confession: I love Southern California, but L.A., not so much. Get outa Dodge....easy on the train. Find stops that put you in the heart of it, or somewhere lovely. ...by the ocean. perhaps., where you do not need transportation on arrival. Better yet, spend a night away.

Amtrak's5 Surfliner:

"Admire the Pacific Views as You Curl along the Southern California Coast

Connecting San Luis Obispo and San Diego through Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, the Pacific Surfliner offers a unique vantage on the Southern California seascape. To get a closer look, you'd have to be on a surfboard, which, believe it or not, you're welcome to bring onboard, since the Pacific Surfliner has special racks to accommodate the bikes and boards of our more outdoor-minded riders.

Starting at the southern end of the route, you'll find an almost endless list of attractions in the sun-splashed city of San Diego. Take in a thrilling aquatic show at SeaWorld®. Stroll by the many shops and restaurants of the Gaslamp Quarter. Or take a sandy step back in time at the grand old Victorian beachfront Hotel del Coronado.

Heading north, the route takes you directly through Anaheim, making the Pacific Surfliner your ticket to a worry-free trip to Disneyland® and Disney California Adventure® Park.

Of course, there's always plenty of reason to stop in Los Angeles. The home of the stars is also home to Universal Studios HollywoodSM, the stunning Pacific Coast Highway and the people-watching wonder that is the Venice Boardwalk. No matter what you do, just remember to grab your sunglasses and watch for your favorite stars.

After passing through the popular resort town of Santa Barbara, the Pacific Surfliner finishes its route in the charming old city of San Luis Obispo.

Frequent Trains with Easy Connections

The Pacific Surfliner offers twelve daily round-trip services between San Diego and Los Angeles, and between Santa Barbara and San Diego. Whatever your travel plans are, you're sure to find a departure time that meets your needs. If you are traveling between San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties, use the Southern California Passenger Rail Timetable combining the schedules of the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink and COASTER commuter trains to plan your trip to cities and towns not served by your primary rail provider.

• sealavender
    9 years ago

Lots of Asian food accessible off of the metro! Los Angeles has a Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and a Koreatown, all readily accessible on mass transit. Be advised that it isn't necessarily the transportation method of choice, so you may be treated to some wild sights. One thing that might interest you in Chinatown would be a dim sum lunch; check out NBC. For transportation around downtown, also look at LADOT's Dash bus routes.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Not too far outside LA, near Pasadena, is the Huntington - if you're into gardens & art - it is fantastic!

http://www.huntington.org/

• chispa
    9 years ago

martinca, thanks for the "like"! I'm glad you mentioned San Juan Capistrano. I love going there and have been there 4 times already. Always take visitors there. I met another old time GW'er there 2 years ago, KGWLisa, she was visiting San Diego and that worked out as a great place to meet between our 2 locations.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the idea of the surfliner! I have only been to California once: a friend and I drove from Montreal to San Francisco almost 15 years ago.

Although the choice of LA this time was just serendipity as I have a friend there, I'm still looking forward to it. I am going to sit down today and put together a tentative itinerary.

Sealavendar, I'm so into dim sum it's not even funny!

Here's a photo of the 80 year old dim sum place we went to in Hong Kong. We shared a table with a middle aged man and his mom: they looked at us very incredulously when we ordered even ordinary items.

• chispa
    9 years ago

It's good Robo and Mtn were not here this week ...
    http://ktla.com/2015/03/02/hail-blankets-sand-and-pier-in-huntington-beach-in-layer-of-white-rarely-seen-in-socal/

Make sure you pack for anything between 45F - 80F. We've had quite a bit of much needed rain the last 2 weeks, so maybe pack an umbrella too, just in case.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Noooooo .... i really have had enough snow! At least we can rely on Hawaii, chispa, even in LA "flakes" out on us. It won't much matter for the Getty, but it will matter for our bike rides and for Disneyland. I set a timer on my phone for the VIP tour cancellation deadline (48 hours). If it looks like rain I don't think we will do Disneyland. The pricing on the VIP thing is absurd. Frankly, for a family thing, it's unconscionable. But I am told without it, during Spring Break, you can spend 3 hours waiting to get on a ride. Why don't they restrict entry by lottery or something? No way to treat customers IMHO.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh jeepers creepers! I also can't handle any more snow!!! I checked out the 14 day weather trend and it looks decent (with cool nights) so fingers crossed!

Here, I stacked them on top of each other--so yes, happy to be travelling!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Honest question: should I go to Disneyland? It's expensive and hard to get to. But I like old and kitschy things (e.g. 1955 attractions). I might be going by myself.

It might be a choice between this or a full day FLW tour.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Robo, I don't think there are too many old or kitschy things left at Disney! I haven't been to Disneyland, but have been to Disneyworld and Tokyo Disney a few times and don't see myself going again for a very long time ... maybe never, specially during school breaks.

Mtn, if it was our only time visiting, we would pay up for the VIP tickets too. DH will usually pay for express passes when he goes to amusement parks with the boys, since their goal isn't to look around and sightsee, but to ride as many coasters as possible.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

We have fought the good fight a long time. Our kids have been to seven continents and nary a Disney property! So this is a first, and I hope last. The VIP pricing just seems like an incredibly elitist thing to offer for a family-oriented all-American park. I think the problem of excess demand should be dealt with by lottery, not deep pockets (trust me, I am a capitalist, but we are talking ,kids, Disney, and families who save all year to come to these places!). I wonder if Walt would approve. Didn't some rock band move to lottery systems for the very same reason?

PS Robo, what are all those little "C's" on yer' chart? LOL

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe I should wait until I can go with children/godchildren.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Robo, I think it's all very modern and soulless, and if i could I would go on the FLW tour. I just think its not unreasonable for my kids to see Disneyland once. Just painful!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, here's my tentative itinerary (days in no particular order)

1. Hollywood and sunset: Hollywood sights n bites tour (includes the major sights) and visit to hollyhock house, supper in Koreatown

2. Beverly hills: Pacific design Center outing and maybe Stahl house

3. East and downtown: Silverlake architecture tour (morning), Disney Hall, moca, our Lady cathedral, eat way through little tokyo, eat way through olvera street (afternoon and evening)

4. Far west: Getty (day) and Venice canals neighborhood (afternoon and supper on Abbott Kinney blvd)

5. Pasadena: Huntington and maybe rose bowl flea market (long commute and lots of walking, though, not sure I can get both in one day)

6. Lacma, tar pits, farmers market

7. Free choice day

Missing anything major? Yes I do plan itineraries in detail!

• sealavender
    9 years ago

LA's Grand Central Market is very near MOCA; it's had a lot of buzz recently. Although you've got a lot on your plate already (pun intended), there is also a sandwich place in California Plaza called Mendocino Farms. Not cheap, but seasonal and fresh ingredients.

• sealavender
    9 years ago

Oh, and near LACMA & the Tar Pits (love them!), check out "Levitated Mass."

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

I think you need a massage somewhere in there. I find CA has some of the best massage professionals. And a nap!

Oh and someplace you can go so see LA at night. The plane is good for that actually if you fly out on a red eye! Or Griffiths Observatory. Does your Echo Park friend drive?

9 years ago

If you're at Olvera Street, a short block to the east is the lovely 1939 Mission Revival/Art Deco Union Station. Worth the short detour to see the wonderful waiting salon. Explore the side patios and find the glamorous atmosphere of Los Angeles in the 1940s -- and plenty of Malibu-type tiles.

When at Olvera Street, please see the America Tropical mural by one of the three great Mexican muralists, David Siqueiros. Too radical for its time in then extremely conservative Los Angeles, whitewashed, forgotten, revealed by neglected maintenance, and restored with help from the Getty. Getty Conservation: América Tropical

If you have time, a few short blocks north of Olvera Street is what was once "New" China Town -- the area where the Chinese community rebuilt after land from "Old" China Town was taken for Union Station. China Town, Los Angeles (Newest China Town is now Monterey Park in the San Gabriel Valley, recommended for its seemingly inexhaustible inventory of Chinese restaurants. New China Town now has a number of Vietnamese shops taking the place of those Chinese establishments that moved east to the newer population center.)

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Just chiming in because I just got back from Disneyland.

Robo, yes there are some historical, kitschy elements left at Disneyland- those are my favorite parts. However, if I didn't have a child with me, I would absolutely choose a FLW tour. Disneyland is ridiculously expensive, crowded, and requires strategizing how to minimize waits in order to be able to enjoy it. That being said, I've always had a great time there.

Mtn, at the time of year you're going, the VIP tour will be absolutely worth it, particularly because you're only spending one day there. Without it, I don't think anyone would enjoy themselves at all, or see much of the park at all. I'd love to do it that way, but as you said, it's a major expenditure.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

Do they still do the Fantasmic show at Disneyland? I remember thinking that it was worth the price of admission. Granted that was about 20 years ago when admission was a lot less. Still, a great show.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Yes, it's still going, sometimes 2x a night. You now have to get Fastpasses that indicate the certain section where you can sit/stand. It is a great show. My son is mesmerized every time! The World of Color show in CA Adventure is also pretty cool.

robo (z6a) thanked jlc712
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback jlc! That makes me feel good about skipping. Ok so I am adding union station (travelling through there a couple of times anyway), Korean spa, and Chinatown to the list!

Chispa.... Fyi I messaged you.

Mtn.... If I go to Stahl House it's a late afternoon/evening tour so I should be able to have an awesome view at night! My friend doesn't have a car. I did the math and I think with transit and cabs I'll be ok and will cost less than a car. Friend lives in a very bus heavy neighbourhood. I asked my husband if I should drive (I drive in Tampa) and he was like "get cabs."

View from my front window this morning. That's my poor upright Japanese maple feebly sticking out of the snow in foreground.

• awm03
    9 years ago

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. If you're in Santa Monica, check out the wonderful Hennessey & Ingalls art & architecture bookstore on Wilshire Blvd. near Ocean. There's a store in Hollywood too. You could spend days there browsing. We loved the Huntington Museum & Library in beautiful Pasadena, especially the estate's surrounding botanical gardens. The Japanese & Chinese gardens will transport you to another world -- spectacular. Also in Pasadena is the magnificent Gamble House -- an oriental-influenced arts & crafts masterpiece by the Greene Brothers. We dropped into Hollywood Forever cemetery on a lark, and that's another place I'd like to come back to visit. If you're an old Hollywood fan, you'll enjoy finding the burial sites of the stars. I was happy to find the simple grave marker of gown designer Adrian (it just says "Adrian"!). It's such fun to see his wonderful clothing designs in old movies. Other than that, drive around Beverly Hills & Bel Aire and drool at the houses, then go hiking in Franklin Canyon Park -- who knew there was this enormous natural open space with hiking trails in the midst of congested LA? Well, the locals knew, of course, but it was a big surprise to us.

robo (z6a) thanked awm03
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh...gamble house! On the list.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Robo and Mtn you both have emails!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the tickets :)

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

ok, Chispa, thanks for the heads up!

Happy travels, Robo.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for meeting up with me yesterday chispa!

One place we visited:

9 years ago

Don't know what you have planned for today or tomorrow, but here are some places to avoid:

Obama traffic guidance: Hollywood, Santa Monica, Burbank

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Nancy, I just realized too, I just changed my flight to Sunday (blizzard in Nova Scotia) and now I'll have to beware the marathon.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Robo, it was great meeting you on Wednesday! We walked around the Design Center and then went to the Stahl House ... amazing views and worth the "strict" rules. Our docent was the daughter in law of the Stahl's, who built the house.

Did you get to the Getty today? Hope it wasn't too warm ... at least we had a nice breeze most of the day.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We went to the Huntington... No breezes down there, it was a little much for my delicate Canadian constitution! But I really enjoyed the gardens and it was a great time to visit the Japanese garden as the camellia, wisteria, azalea, and cherry were all in bloom! Getty tomorrow, I think, although spending the day in a dark cool place sounds good too :)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS I will say, the people around here (Echo Park at least) are so darn chatty and friendly, I'm really enjoying it.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Well, the only dark cool place I know is an ocean cave we visited in La Jolla (San Diego)!

I still haven't been to the Huntington. DH took his mother when she visited, but I let them spend quality time together and stayed home!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PPS if anyone has an idea how to get into a sold out show at the Largo on Saturday night, I'm all ears.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Robo, I hope the rest of your LA visit was great and hopefully not too hot for you. Did you see some of the LA Marathon runners? I had looked at the route and noticed it went right by your friend's neighborhood!

Mtn, it was great meeting you today! Mtn and I had breakfast at a cafe right on Venice beach. Perfect weather to sit and chat. Enjoy your stay in LA and the rest of your vacation. Let us know how much you "loved" Disney!