Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraoliver

Is hood insert or liner the same as range hood?

lauraoliver
9 years ago

Is a range insert or hood liner the same as range hood?
I want the look below. The only description i could find on the photo was " Wolf
Hood Liner wrapped in custom cabinetry.|"
https://www.houzz.com/photos/wolfe-stovetop-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~1814375

Comments (11)

• lauraoliver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• User
    9 years ago

The description doesn't give much to go on. A hood liner would usually mean a nondecorative inner liner that is metal and easy to clean and would include the grease filter and a connecting point for the exhaust. A liner may or may not include a control panel for a fan or any sockets for lights. The controls for the fan could then be mounted in a more convenient place, and the fan could be mounted outside where it would be quieter.

A hood insert would usually mean a liner that also had the fan, lights, and control panel in it. Neither a liner or insert would include the part that you are looking at in the picture.

A full range hood comes with the decorative outside and all the inside stuff. In the case of the picture, you would buy the mechanical parts inside the hood and then have a cabinet maker make the outside to look any way you want it to.

lauraoliver thanked User
  • PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    7 years ago

The term "range hood" usually refers to the complete package, from the internals to the decorative shell, i.e. the finished product in your kitchen.

There are 2 major ways to go with range hoods: buy a complete range hood, i.e. the entire thing is manufactured by 1 source - OR - buy a "hood insert" (also called "power pack", or "insert/liner", etc) and then have a fabricator or cabinet maker create an enclosure around it.

The "complete range hood" method is simpler, cheaper, and generally easier to install. Considering the 1000s of designs available on the market, most of the time you'll be able to find something that fits your kitchen style - or maybe even discover designs you had no idea about (check out our "Murano Collection" hoods, for example!).

The "hood insert + custom hood shell" method gives you many more options for the look & feel of the finished unit, at a generally increased cost, potentially longer supply timeframe, and possibly installation complications.

Just like with the 1000 other decisions involved in home renovation, there's really no "right" or "wrong" way to go about it... just different considerations as far as time, budget, and customization requirements.

• PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    7 years ago

BTW, fire suppression systems are only required for commercial hoods, not residential, so you don't have to worry about that.

Make-up air is not a 100% requirement, although it's recommended (we know, Fred S., we know) and required by *local* ordinances in some places.

• User
    7 years ago

I see that you are still trying to mislead people, even if you have to dig up an almost 2 year old thread to do it. FAR FROM " local ordinances in some places" With today's tightly built houses, 400 cfm is even too much without makeup air, and geographic location, or local codes have nothing to do with the physics of the issue.

Your business practices are STILL deplorable.

• aledohome
    6 years ago

Don't some inline blowers provide the make up air?

• P Mattias
    6 years ago
    That’s exactly the look I’ve been trying to find out how to accomplish. So my question is if I already bought a complete stainless steel hood (with fan, lights, warming lights and dishwasher safe metal grates) could I have a wooden mantle built around it to accomplish the look above? Or should I return it and get a hood insert?
  • zd28
    6 years ago

P Mattias, I have also purchased a complete s/s hood. I hate the look and want a wooden custom mantle built without canning the exterior vented chimney hood I already invested in. My reno guy is saying nay---have to start over? I feel like he's wrong. Do I fire the Reno guy or scrap my current investment?

• Christy Frazier Wilson
    6 years ago

What did you decide to do?

• HU-486577630
    5 years ago

I'm having this exact hood built; however, my question is what are the least expensive but good quality products I should buy for them to install within it? I was looking at the Faber INSM28SS 28" 250 CFM Inca Smart Insert Range Hood, Stainless Steel?????