Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?

Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone use an online company?

Comments (48)

• User
    9 years ago

Brick and mortar places where installers shop will have much better quality and pricing. Talk with your tile professional about bis recommended supplier.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

I do a lot of shopping online. But never tile. You just cant see the details well enough on most sites, and colors aren't true either.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

I have to agree the brick and mortar stores are best. One place I do like is http://www.tilestoreonline.com if you want samples of tile, and have bought some glass subway tile from them.

• happyallison
    9 years ago

I did order pebble tile from Pebble Tile Mosaics. I had difficulty finding pebble tile I liked locally. I have been to the Tile Shop, which looks like they do online sales. However I was looking at natural stone, and you really need to see that in person due to the variations. A display in the Tile Shop used a certain travertine, and was built a few years ago. Well the travertine sold under that name currently is way darker...

I was surprised a local tile shop I purchased most of my tile from was really well-priced, no more than an online store. Unless you are tiling a huge floor like a living area, you may not see savings, they do discount for larger orders online. I wonder if a local shop would price match. ?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LWOak - I'm trying to get a jump on making tile decisions and I don't have a tile professional yet.

NJunkie - I agree, you have to see the tile in person, but just thought you could start to get some general ideas online.

Sloyder, thanks for that link.

Allison - you make a good point, that there can be some types of tile that aren't common locally. And no, we're only doing two small bathrooms, so a larger discount won't be likely. Yes, I should ask for price matching.

Thanks all...

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

If you are looking for general ideas, I suggest you search through the bathroom photos here on Houzz. You usually get a better idea of what differnt tiles will look like when installed than you would from a pic of a single tile. And the pics give design inspirarion as well. Have fun!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another very practical suggestion, thanks, Numbersjunkie :-)

• User
    9 years ago

I bought lots of glass mosaic tile for my bathroom remodel from Overstock.com. I looked locally (big box stores and the Tile Shop) but couldn't find what I wanted. You do have to watch the colors though when online shopping - it helps if people post pics but that doesn't guarantee anything either.

The tile I ordered is a green spa feeling color. The picture online looked pretty light but the reviews stated it was light green tile - which is what I wanted so I ordered it and it's lovely. I saved a lot of money buying online. Not only did I NOT pay sales tax but I waited for Overstock to have coupons, usually 10%-12% off and then I ordered (plus I earned rewards with Overstock's program). I paid about $10 a square foot which isn't bad considering the quality. The tile shop locally had nice stuff but everything I liked there was over $20 a sq ft...

Here is a link to the tile.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SomerTile-12x12-in-Reflections-Subway-5-8x2-in-Ming-Glass-Stone-Mosaic-Tile-Pack-of-10/5318587/product.html

and here is the actual tile. You be the judge...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mrs Shayne - I would not have thought to look on Overstock for tile. I just took a quick look and there are more than I expected. It looks like they sell them in lots, so you would have to know how much you need for your project and that you are able to get enough with some to spare.

Thanks for the link. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

You are correct about the tile being sold in lots on Overstock, or at least what I bought. I had to buy a box of ten sheets (9.6 sq ft) so it's a little hard to get one sample. But here's a secret, ok, maybe not a secret but something I learned because I do a lot of online shopping - LOTS of big retailers sell the exact same items, but they label them differently - My guess is so people can't price match and it makes it harder to shop around.

Here's a perfect example - since I always shop around I tried to find the same green tile elsewhere by searching "SomerTile" - this is how Overstock labels the product. What I found was, HomeDepot sells the EXACT same tile but they label it "Merola Tile" - see link below. With HomeDepot you can order just one sheet (sample it) so that makes it easier but for me, Overstock was cheaper with coupons and gift cards.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Tessera-Subway-Ming-11-3-4-in-x-11-3-4-in-x-8-mm-Glass-and-Stone-Mosaic-Wall-Tile-GITMMSW/202563856

Wayfair also sells tile, and sells the tile I bought - but they were higher priced. Wayfair labels this SAME tile "EliteTile Sierra" I ended up just searching "ming tile" which is the green color and that's how I found all the big retailers selling the same stuff that I bought. But I had to wonder, why doesn't the tile have the same name? I'm really not sure but I've learned if one big retailer sells something, then someone else probably does too (unless it's "exclusive" and I wouldn't believe that 100% either - there's always ebay or CL hahahaha)

http://www.wayfair.com/EliteTile-Sierra-1-8-7-x-1-2-Glass-and-Stone-Polished-Mosaic-in-Ming-XGHJUNNTX-OVS1155.html

• User
    9 years ago

Keep in mind, HomDepot and Lowes also has lots more tile options online that aren't displayed in stores. I'm big on reading reviews so I would be a little hesitant to order something if no one has rated the product. Of course you can always return stuff but that's a pain.

• User
    9 years ago

One issue that you will run into with p[roducts from Overstock, Floor and Decor, and other seconds retailers are the additional price that a good installer will charge you due to the inconsistent joinery and spacing. A lot of the cheap tile is that way. The join area has to be pulled off of the mesh and hand set to avoid telegraphing the fact that it's on sheets. Time is money, and what you saved on the front end will cost you on the install front if you're hiring a guy worth hiring.

You can see plenty of jobs from tile like that where people complain about their installer, but that's not the total story. A cheap charlie installer will just install what you give him, warts and all. A good guy will charge more. Guess who gets the work if someone bought seconds in the first place? And then guess what that looks like?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

MrsS - That was very clever of you to figure out how to find the same tile in other stores. It's so time consuming, isn't it?! I normally have more patience, but I've just begun this renovation project and I'm already impatient. The beginning stages, when you don't know what your'e dong is the worst of it, I think.

I'm also very big on reviews and I will read and read lots and lots of reviews before buying, most of the time. About 5 years ago, I very carefully researched new appliances for the kitchen and there was some deadline of a sale at one of the suppliers I was working with and as the time approached, our dishwasher also went on the blink, so I chose a dishwasher in one day and did very little research and read no reviews and it's been a horror ever since…lol. That'll teach me. :-)

• Fori
    9 years ago

I ordered my bathroom tile from a manufacturer who pretty much sells online. They send out free samples. They aren't really the most economical choice but you could do it all without leaving home. https://www.fireclaytile.com/

(I did end up going to the showroom a few times since they're local to me, but they are prompt with the samples and have alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the old school trim pieces.)

• User
    9 years ago
    Sophie, are you saying ALL tile from places like Overstock or "second retailers" are considered cheap and not well made? That's what it sounds like...

Where do suggest everyone buy well made tile then (that doesn't cost an arm and leg)?

I have a great contractor doing my bathroom remodel so I will ask his opinion on the tile I bought from O.
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that link, Fori. I'll check it out. Nice that they send out samples.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

What she is saying is you need to be careful. They are selling it for a reason, usually someone either had too much stock, was clearing out a line or they bought a batch of tile rejected by a major tile retailer. You never know until you get the product, and even then the average p[person still may not realize. A bargain is not always a bargain!

• User
    9 years ago

Millworker, I have to disagree on what I bought was either too much stock, clearing out, or rejected for the simple fact that I bought the majority of my tile over a year ago. At that time, HD, wayfair and O sold it. Today all three retailers still sell it and there are several varieties the tile comes in. I ordered another box a couple weeks ago. The product matches what I bought over a year ago. I'm not even saying I got a bargain. I spent $700 on glass tile so it's not like this bargain was too good to be true in my opinion.

I'm not here to argue but I'm not going to believe everything online is seconds or crap. I do agree one needs to be careful when buying online...

• User
    9 years ago

And you haven't installed it yet either. Thinner tile with irregular spacing is a real issue with those Chinese sourced products. It's cheap for a reason. Always. TANSTAAFL. Either the product itself has issues, or the labor to produce it has issues that people conveniently choose to ignore. It takes a 60 Minutes expose piece to start people thinking abut the real cost of their cheap chinese goods.

• User
    9 years ago

It is installed and the grout is going in today. I'm just letting the person who started the post know that I found some of my tile online and so far no issues. I'm not going to believe "EVERYTHING" from online or China is bad. Yes, people should be cautious but arguing whatever came from online is crap or seconds isn't always true. So when you say it's "cheap for a reason, always" come on? Always? every single tile from China ? Whatever....

I like my tile. It has great reviews from others too. I respect your comments and agree with being careful about buying online. But again, where should we be buying tile then? Not everyone can afford handmade tiles from the U.S.

I've bought tile from Lowes, online and local tile shops (crossville) and have been happy with them.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good discussion about the cautions of buying online. I see both sides of the issue. I've been down on products from China for quite awhile, but in my own experience, if you have to rule out anything from China, you will be saving yourself a lot of money because you won't be buying much. Just about everything on the market is from China. I love to find products made in this country, but it feels like the 'quest for the Holy Grail' at times. [g] And when you find it, can you afford it?

It sounds like you are all set with your tiles Mrs. S. It would appear that between your caution and inspection of the tile and your contractor's together you were able to determine the tile was not a problem.

I'm just starting to consider just the appearance of the tile and trying to figure out what color and style I like. I lean toward ceramic tile in my circumstances and budget and to keep cost down, I will probably go with a solid background tile with a border or trim. I'm attracted to tiles with texture and a raised surface and I like natural elements in the design and colors, like pine cones or flowers or trees, etc. I'm not really a subway tile fan. Small 8x5 or 9x5 baths are what I am working on, so not sure how much tile that will end up being. I'm thinking of adding a design tile on the floor in some kind of pattern.

I'm sure the quality and feasibility for installing will come into play along the way.

Can't wait to be at a point of having a plan and a contractor and being able to move forward.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I did not say everything either, I just said you need to be careful as not everything is going to be the bargain it may appear to be. I said sometimes they are seconds, closeouts, overruns. overstock, just saying it really needs to be buyer beware and do your homework.

• User
    9 years ago

I will be honest, my bathroom remodel at this point is stressful. Between scheduling the new vanity, template for the countertop, materials, etc - I've become moody so I apologize if I was rude to anyone in any way. I completely agree about being cautious as others have noted.

Just when I thought I was done picking out stuff - contractor asked me what grout color I wanted! AHHHH - the color I picked wasn't locally so last night I had to run to HD and pick up some samples. Now I'm stressing about the grout color.

My advice is to plan things early. Buy samples and run them by your contractor (if you're using one) and get his or her opinion before ordering everything.

I have made plenty of mistakes along the way with my remodel. The tile was my first mistake - buying it a YEAR in advance- telling myself I would buy things along the way to help keep costs lower (rather than buying everything right before the remodel). If I hadn't bought all that tile I'm sure I would have went with a different design but I will say I still love the tile. And after having it for over a year, it's very exciting seeing the tile go in. So maybe that's why I'm a little quick to argue with others about online tile - simply because I have waited over a year for this remodel to begin and to hear people say it's probably seconds or crap just bugs me LOL .....

I also bought ceramic tile for the rest of the shower walls - here comes mistake #2 - the tile I bought has that orange clay underneath so I would recommend buying tile that is the same color all the way through. I didn't know any of this when I picked out the tile - I was simply looking at the front of the tile only. The contractor brought this to my attention but later said he didn't think it would be an issue.

Remember me saying I bought crap a year in advance - well I also bought two Martha Stewart faucets from HD on clearance for $30 each (retail $118) - the other day I looked online and read the reviews - they were awful so I returned both faucets that I bought in Dec of 2013 - HD let me return them for store credit so I put it toward my new toilet (Kohler - oh, it's pretty too hehehe) and then I went and bought two new Moen faucets with better reviews...

I would recommend checking out local stores, online pictures, and online retailers - you'll start to find things you like - just keep track and run everything by your contractor for his opinion on quality and so forth.

• eaga
    9 years ago

prairiemoon2, I saw your other post about your interest in green building. You might want to check out the Daltile website, which has info on that subject as it relates to tile, and other info on evaluating and selecting tile. I did not use Daltile, but found their website very helpful.

• gwlake
    9 years ago

For me, I really like the Tile Shop, I've had really great experiences there. I like their product as in the quality. I do not like Floor and Decor. There is a huge difference in their quality compared to other stores. I have not been comfortable at tile stores that snicker at 1,000 product budget. I believe in mixing pieces to create a look. I have purchased from Home Depot, Lowes and the Tile Shop.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH, Eaga, thanks for that suggestion. Yes, I hadn't even thought about tile needing to be 'green'. I always thought ceramic tile was a natural product, made with natural materials with a natural process. Ok, I'll head over there and see what I can find. Appreciate it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ourgeorgiahouse - snickering at budgets? Hard to believe. Thanks for the Tile Shop suggestion. :-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs S. - I completely understand how stressful remodeling is. We did our kitchen over about 15 years ago and it took me a year to plan what I wanted and get started on the remodel and then 3 months to finish it due to delays when the contractor made a big mistake on a custom window and we had to wait another 6 weeks for it. I also got very tired of picking out everything. I didn’t feel like myself for months after it was done. And I’m moody already just having decided to go ahead with the current project. [g]

Good luck with your bathroom remodel. I look forward to seeing photos when it’s done!

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

"I saved a lot of money buying online. Not only did I NOT pay sales tax..."

While I don't know if it's true where you live, but in my state you are still obligated to pay tax on online sales. It's called use tax, and it is illegal to avoid paying it.

• User
    9 years ago

prairiemoon2 z6 MA - I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one getting stressed during remodels. I can't even imagine the kitchen or designing an entire home..

"And I’m moody already just having decided to go ahead with the current project." - LOL - remember, picking out stuff & designing is suppose to be fun :) (but stress comes with it too of course) Share some more ideas or post pics. I love seeing before and afters too.

I'm getting ready to head home for lunch (to let the dogs out) I hope the grout looks ok. My stomach is in knots. I just want everything to be done, function properly and look OK.

catbuilder - as far as sales tax - I can't pay sales tax if the retailer doesn't collect it... and I don't know how it all works either. I would think it's the retailers responsibly to collect sales tax. I can't set that up as the consumer. I'm sure with time, all the online retailers will start collecting tax....

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

It's actually your responsibility to pay the tax if your state imposes this rule. In my state, it's paid with income taxes. There's a line for it on the state return.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs S - Good luck with the grout today. Soon it will all be behind you. I hope you have your vacation time planned. Somewhere with little to do. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

it's funny you mentioned vacation.. Hubby says we won't be going this year since the bathroom remodel!!!! hahahaha... We'll see.

The grout looks great - I am feeling better.. But there is another issue, well maybe - the cheap faucet I bought off Amazon (Mistake #4 LOL) I think it's fine now but time will tell. We may have to replace it.

before grout-

with grout

I asked the contractor his thoughts on the tile from Overstock (larger white ceramic is from the Tile Shop and is made in Spain I think) - anyway, he said the glass tile was fine. He did say there were 2 or 3 pieces that he had to adjust because they didn't align correctly but other than those couple pieces he thought the tile was fine.

The floor in the shower and the rest of the bathroom is charcoal and pretty dark so with the glass tile I was hoping some of the dark spots would pull it all together..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the light grout you used. Is that today, right after they grouted? So, are you happy with it? It's very pretty! The dark floor sounds nice too.

After I mentioned the vacation, I thought about having spent the money on the renovation, it might have to wait. [g] Well, maybe a long weekend, local, to soak in a hot tub and get massages?

• lam702
    9 years ago

It is likely that there is nothing wrong with your tile, perhaps its just a pattern/color that's been discontinued. For our glass tile, we had to order it through the local tile shop. Pickup is done at the delivery center, which is also where they have discontinued patterns for sale at a discount. When we went to pick our tile up, we found a very similar pattern that was discontinued, and had we known, we could have gotten it for much cheaper. I think they are constantly updating and changing patterns, even if its only a slight shade difference, etc. , I think Overstock deals with discontinued or overstocked items. (nothing wrong with overstocked items, just means they bought too much of it) I once bought a Tahari dress from Overstock for $49 that I saw in a major dept store for $200 - exact same dress. Its a good idea to always get a sample before buying online of course. Happily Mrsshayne's online tiles worked out well - very pretty by the way.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you :) yep, I took that pic today during my lunch break and the grout had just been done this morning. I'm very happy with it. We tried a couple different color samples but everything was too yellow so I went with white grout (probably mistake #5) lol..

A vacation def sounds nice right about now. One with fancy bathrooms that are already remodeled and have no worries hahahaha. Oh, and a nice big tub to relax in.

• User
    9 years ago

thank you lam702 ... I appreciate the kind words. And I agree it could be very likely Overstock deals with discontinued stuff or stuff that changes overtime. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what I have. You put everything in much nicer terms. It was those who just assumed it was junk that I had a different opinion about... Plus I'm already on edge with the remodel taking place LOL....

I will say, I also ordered the same matching glass tile but in squares and the squares hardly have any dark spots so I can totally see where tile changes overtime.. I was fine with it because it's going elsewhere but I did notice the difference.

Merola, the tile I bought has a page on Houzz with some pretty samples.

http://www.houzz.com/pro/merolatile/merola-tile

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs S - LOL "...a fancy bath that's already been remodeled". I think you are forgetting you are going to have your own fancy remodeled bathroom by that time and you may not want to leave it. :-)

• Alicia Petrucci
    9 years ago

I had a very positive experience with Wayfair. I recently ordered 3 boxes of stone/glass mosaic tile ($31/sq ft). It was the kind on paper rather than mesh. It was excellent quality, but the same color glass tile was falling off all of the sheets. I called Wayfair with the intent on either returning it or exchanging it. I knew we could still install it and just hand set the fallen tiles, but I wasn't thrilled about the damage given how much we paid. They issued me an immediate refund and said I could keep the tile! They explained that since it arrived damaged, they did not want to inconvenience me with having to ship it back. Not sure if this is how they handle all damaged products, but I decided to order a different tile from them and it's lovely. Again, very good quality. And I'm going to find somewhere in the house to use the damaged tile...since it was free!

• lam702
    9 years ago

Mrsshayne, what kind of thinset did you use for your glass tile? I've read so many conflicting things about mesh backed tiles and adhesives, just curious.

• User
    9 years ago

It's good to hear someone else bought online and found the tile to be good quality. I wouldn't hesitate to order again online if it saves me money.

alidanae - I can't believe they let you keep it all - WOW - lucky you.. and I would do the same thing (try to use it somewhere else in the house) You'll have to post some pics when you can.

My glass square tiles from Overstock just went up today (right after the new countertop went in) - no grout yet (that will be Monday) but I'm LOVING it!!!

• User
    9 years ago

lam702 - I don't even know what thinset is.. LOL

I would have to ask the contractor (?)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alidanae - Thanks for the suggestion of Wayfair. That was a very good outcome for the problem you had. I would like to see pictures too, if you have any.

Mrs S. - I LOVE that photo of your glass tiled wall. It’s so reflective! Now are those different from the first photo you posted? It looks like one is long rectangular shapes and one is small squares. You are really making progress.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you :)

Yes, we used two different patterns. Overstock/Merola offers five different patterns/options for the tile I bought. I regretted this decision a couple months ago but now seeing everything come together I'm fine with using the squares above the vanity (no cuts required) and the other tile in the shower is rectangle.

Overstock has over 1300 tile options and I just looked on Wayfair and they have even more. It looks like they offer more "samples" too...

How soon do you think your remodel will take place?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs. S - We're just interviewing our first contractor next week, so I don't know really. I think I have some time though.

I think your bath is going to be beautiful and looks like you're in the home stretch!

• User
    9 years ago

That's exciting. I hope you find someone you're comfortable with and who does good work. You better get to looking though for stuff you like LOL - the contractor may be ready sooner than you think :)

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

• Alicia Petrucci
    9 years ago

Here's a pic of the tile Wayfair let me keep. The top one is the stock photo and the bottom is the damaged tile at my house. As you can see, that particular frosted glass tile is falling off the sheets. I think I'm going to use it in our upstairs guest bath, but that room is pretty low on the to do list at the moment. The name of the tile is Daltile Keystones Blends 1" x 1" Porcelain with Oceanside Glass Unpolished Mosaic in Trade Wind.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz