Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Cooks & Canadians.. Please help me tweak this recipe

Funkyart
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I made Cod Au Gratin today.. something I have read is a classic Canadian dish. I was delicious but feel it needs just a little something. I sauteed shallots and garlic then added butter, flour and milk to make a bechemel sauce. Baked the cod pieces and bechemel with a generous layer of aged irish cheddar and a light sprinkle of panko.

I am wondering if a little "green" flavor from herbs might enhance the dish (which I'll be making for friends later this week). I'll definitely use parsley next time but what other herbs will stand up to an aged cheddar? Tarragon doesn't seem right.. perhaps just parsley and lemon zest?

Here is it JUST out of the oven..

Comments (30)

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

Interesting, i thought fish and cheese was a no-no. It sure looks good.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Oh my, that looks awesome. I've been putting lemon zest in just about everything lately so that's a big thumbs up from me. How about scallions?

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought the same.. and I think it's generally true. I can't imagine cheese on most fish dishes but I really enjoyed this dish! (I also love a spicy crab-asparagus dip that includes a touch of parmesan)

It definitely needs light accompaniments-- lemon and garlic green beans or asparagus-- a salad of mixed greens. That may just be the key-- pairing it with sides that are light and green. I didnt wait to steam veggies (blush) -- i made a small plate right out of the oven!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am the same, Mag-- love lemon zest too. The shallots are subtle and sweet since they've been cooked so I am worried that scallions might be a bit too much-- what do you think of chives? I am thinking they're just a little more subtle.

• lisaam
    9 years ago

cheddar and chives are a classic combo; i agree lemon doesn't suit this dish well b/c of the cheese

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point, Mtn. I kept looking a the lemon in the bowl but did not add it in the end. I think my instincts were battling my brain. I think I'll just finish with some chives when I make it later this week. It's a simple dish-- I don't want to overwork it. Thanks for walking me back!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Definitely pair it with a lemon/veg combo. Mixed greens and a lemon vinaigrette is one of my favorites. Doing something seasonal would be a nice touch. I just think that all that creamy cheesy richness needs to be cut with some acidity.

• User
    9 years ago

Nutmeg?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Thyme and paprika.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

ooh nutmeg and or paprika are good directions with cream and cheese

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I think I'd like thyme.. unfortunately, I really dislike nutmeg. I know it's perfect for cream sauces but I am *really* sensitive to it and it can easily ruin a dish for me :(

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I'd consider going a slightly different way... maybe add finely minced carrot & celery to your shallots & garlic, and some white wine in the sauce.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

You could do minced carrot and celery with the shallots and garlic. But, if you go that direction then with the white wine I would turn up the heat after doing a quick fry with your vegies and add a quick splash of wine, (make sure it's a light one) stir and let it burn off, turn the heat down and then continue with your bechamel sauce.

If the wine is too full-bodied it may fight with the cod and the cheese.

My preference would be to keep it a little more simple but you do have some options.

• localeater
    9 years ago

I would have rubbed the pieces of cod with thyme, and sprinkled them with salt white pepper and paprika. For your panko crumble, I like to whizz fresh garlic, parsley, and pecans in the food processor and mix in even proportion with the panko. The pecans and parsley would be yummy with the cheddar.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So many great ideas! Thank you! Localeater, I did sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper.. pecans would be good. I like how you cook! I too like to add nuts where I can because they are so full of nutrients.

I'll be making this for freezer meals for a friend and a niece.. if I were serving it here, I'd try frizzled shallots on top too. I do want to be careful though-- this is a very simple dish. I want to be careful to keep it simple and homey.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Chervil

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We do baked halibut with cheddar and my advice based on what we do (which is one of my favorite dishes of all time) is double the cheese and add real healthy doses of pepper and don't skimp on the salt, either. I think maritimers typically use a lot of salt/seasoning with cod, I'm guessing because it's such a plain tasting fish.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

If you wanna go real maritimey...summer savory would be the herb to watch out for. I'm not sure if it's widely available outside of the Atlantic provinces? The closest match would be sage.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Fresh parsley for sure - I prefer the flat leaf kind & definitely a pinch or 2 of nutmeg. Some chopped celery leaves might go well too - or even mushrooms. You could even add a bay leaf or 2 to the bechamel to flavour it...

• localeater
    9 years ago

Funky- the pecans with the fish, started when I found a Moosewood recipe call Pecan Crusted Fish. It is a really good recipe, in addition to eyeballing all the quantities the only other tweak I make is to spice up the buttermilk soak with a few shots of hot sauce.

I know keep the crumb mixture in the freezer and use it in all sorts of things. One of my DHs favorites, is Pumpkin/Butternut Ravioli in Shallots in Brown Butter and these crumbs- yumm-

And I live in Maine, and we eat cod with cheddar all the time!!!

http://www.food.com/recipe/pecan-crusted-fish-129748

For another yum fish recipe check out this one by Jamie Oliver

http://myjamieoliverproject.blogspot.com/2013/04/attempt-47-baked-cod-with-avocado.html

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Localeater - have you ever used the panko/pecan coating with chicken? Just wondering.

We don't eat a lot of cod (we're on the west coast) so salmon is more the go-to fish but it's quite expensive at this time of year.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

This recipe looks interesting. It's got EVERYTHING in it. 'Got some good reviews too.
    http://www.rockrecipes.com/cod-au-gratin/

• amicus
    9 years ago

I am French Canadian on my mother's side with family from Quebec and family on the east coast, where fish/cheese dishes are also popular. chickadee, the one we make looks similar to the recipe you linked and it's delicious! We usually have asparagus or a nice salad on the side.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your continued suggestions!
    Localeater - I have had trout prepared with a pecan crust-- was delicious! My favorite preparation for trout is just baking it in a salt crust (though I have never done this at home. I must try it one day!) Thank you for the recipe links!

I love halibut though it isn't always available here. It is a favorite on the grill!

I will be making this for friends tomorrow-- I especially appreciate the suggestions from those who have eaten the dish. Robo, I can see why it is a favorite-- it has comfort food written all over it!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Fillet-o-fish and cheese works for my kids. I have a scallops in cream cheese sauce we love. Where does this no cheese on fish thing come from?

• inthetrees
    9 years ago

I had to look up a recipe for this because it looked so good. It was a hit with everyone and DD said it was a hack for mac and cheese. i just served it with some fresh fruit bc I was lazy and it seemed rich.

The recipe I used included dijon, lemon zest, dill and parmesan (in addition to the cheddar), but no garlic or scallion. It was somewhat bland - but in a good way. I won't make any adjustments next time.

Thanks for inspiring me with that picture! I hope it turned out well when you made it for your friends.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great to hear, remodelorbuild! Funny-- a mac and cheese hack! I agree that it's bland -- but in a good way. Your recipe is different than mine but pretty much the same basic dish. Fresh fruit sounds perfect to serve with.. as I agree, it needs something light and fresh!

I am making my niece a bunch of frozen meals in preparation for her first baby.. she's asked for this to be in the mix. If it is going to work frozen, I am certain it will be uncooked-- but even still, I am not sure about freezing a bechamel sauce.

• localeater
    9 years ago

If you are cooking to freeze for a new mother, you may need to check into things that nursing mothers dont eat. Its been a long time so I dont remember but I know I couldnt eat spicy food, garlic, onions because they made breast milk taste yucky(according to finicky child) I think there are other 'rules' too.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no.. thanks for pointing that out!! It's been a long time since I cooked for pregnant sisters so i'd forgotten about garlic/onions (though I swear at least one sister/children were fine with garlic because I remember her begging me for stuffed shells and other italian dishes!) I am not even sure I remember how to cook without garlic, onions, shallots! LOL