Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

My Pepper List this Year - 8b - Seedling Questions

syntria
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and I'd like to open myself up to any and all comments/critism. Don't hold back if it sounds like I'm making a bad decision or there is some way I could improve! - See the end of the post for a summary of my experiances last year and plans for this year.

Seedling Health Question - My garage is not heated, and it has been getting close to 20f outside a few nights but I don't believe the area where my seedlings are getting under 40-50f at night. I also have the peppers on heatting pads until they get their true leaves. The two pictures below show the seedlings and they seem to have some damage/wilting. Can anyone give me some feedback as to what might be wrong with them? I know it could be a good number of things.

Planned Pepper List - Keeping 1-2 plants each, plan to sell or swap excess. Suggestions for a few other varities to try that would do well in Texas Heat (DFW Area) with 11am-6pm direct-sun would be great!

• Thai Hot - 6 seedlings started
  • Serrano - 6
  • Early Jalapeno - Tray of 72 started
  • Santaka Hot - 6
  • Cayenne Blend - 6
  • Poblano - 6
  • NuMex Joe E. Parker Anaheim - 6
  • Italian Marconi Golden - 6
  • Habanero - 6
  • Pepperoncini Greek - 12

Experiance Rating

• 1 - Loved growing it/great yeild/taste
  • 2 - Average experiance/Not remarkable
  • 3 - Major Issues, would not grow again

Last Year

• Thai Hot - 3 - Cute plant, good flavor, peppers are very small but plentiful
  • Santaka Hot Asian - 1 - Loved growing this, beautiful plant. Peppers dried well and I crack them open as needed for seasoning (taco seasoning, gauc, asian sauces)
  • Early Japaleno - 2 - Not very productive, may have been over crowded by other pepper plants.
  • Yolo Wonder - Green Peppers - 2 - Thin walled/wasn't very productive
  • Sweet Cherry Blend - 2 - Fun to snack on, highly productive plant, not great flavor
  • Pasilla Bajio - 2 - Pretty long black pepper, flavor was odd, wasn't sure what to do with them.
  • Purple Beauty - 3 - Gross. Pretty but gross. Thin walled and the flavor was really weird.
  • California Wonder - 1 - Low yield but thick-walled and large with great taste.
  • Poblano - 1 - Huge Yeilds in Late-Summery, Easily 50 fruit per plant though small, fist size at the largest
  • Italian Marconi Golden - 1 - Massive, half a foot long average. Versital pepper for grilling (stand in for a lack of good green peppers) or chopping up in salad. Flavor was crisp and clean but a little different

Photo are my last pepper harvest of 2014

I'm growing all of these from seeds. I'm also planning to sell extra plants at my local farmers market to try to recoup the cost of my gardening hobby. I have a grow-room set up in my extra garage, room for 16 trays with lights that can be adjusted to be right against the seedlings. I went a little overboard. I have 200 3'' small planters and 400-500 jiffy soil pellets to get them started. I don't really like spicy peppers but I find them beautiful and I LOVE to provide for my neighbores.

I just started growing from seeds last year as I just got my first home. I built 8 4'x8' raised beds from cedar planks at 8'' deep with 50% 'local' compost (wood chips basically), 10% peatmoss, 10% cow manuer, 30% self-created compost (grass, leaves, food scraps). The soil under my beds are thick and sticky clay which I hand tilled maybe 6''. I tried to grow last year strawberries, onions, beans, potatoes, tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and melons. I found out I had rabbits so good bye to all the beans, strawberries, onions. I got a dozen good yellow squash before the squash bugs took over. Cucumbers produced fantastic, I could pick 2-4 every few days but I let some kind of bugs take over (I bought ladybugs but it wasn't enough). Tomatoes I tried to grow Roma, Cherokee Purple, Tiger Strip, and others---all of which failed probably due to the shallow soil and wet clay that resulted in wet feet--I got maybe one or two fruit per plant. I did however also grow some Super-Sweet 100 and Sungold Grape tomatoes and they did amazing, well over 8' high and producing heavily. I had a nice yeild of potatoes, I planted 10 red and 10 whites and got nearly 100-200 red potatoes though a fraction as many whites.

Okay! Whew! That's a summery of last year. I've learned a lot and I really want to do better this year. I've invested in a fake owl, some fox urine, and I've condensed my beds so now I have 4 4'x8'x16'' beds. I have condensed the soil I had but I need to buy approxmately another 100 sqfeet of soil. The current soil I have is broken down well, dark, and filled with worms, every scoop has worms in it.

Comments (11)

• dajsnipe
    9 years ago

You've got a great selection of peppers. As for the "wilting", it looks like there burnt. Are you still using lights and if so how close are they?

I've found once the true leaves appear you need to give them some space. I ve cooked a few of mine.

syntria thanked dajsnipe
  • syntria
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm using T8's, so the heat shouldn't be a factor but brightness maybe. They're within an inch of the bulbs since I didn't want them to get leggy. So maybe I'll raise the lights another inch or two.

• dajsnipe
    9 years ago

You may be surprised how cold it can get in that greenhouse in your garage, if you want to know for sure go out just before sunrise and check the temp. Cold temps can burn new shoots as well.

I can't help you with the squash bugs, I've tried everything short of calling in an air strike and nampalming the little SOB's back to the stone age, but as for the bugs on your cucumbers, do they have black and yellow stripes and are shaped like a bettle? Try planting radishes with your cucumbers and letting them go to seed. I am not sure if it confuses them or just drives them away, but it works.

good luck

• dajsnipe
    9 years ago

Seeing your last post it's probably the lights.

• syntria
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Brian6464, thanks for the reply. I have germination domes that do build up extra warmth under the lights and with the mat however due to mold concerns I don't leave them on most of the time. I've also got two clamp/spot lights with hot lights in them pointed in the corner they're in--ideally to keep the area a little warmer but to be honest, I don't know the temperature. I noticed the wilting was really bad a week or two ago when it got really cold/we had two back to back ice storms outside and I had my lights on a timer so they went off between 11pm and 4am--so no heat generation. I switched it around so they were off during the middle of the day instead. I use to have a plastic sheet over the racks but again I'm worried about mold, been picking out anything that looks moldy and trying not to let it be overly damp. I have a small clamp fan I bought specifically for air circulation I haven't' actually set up yet.

I'm getting more concerned about the temperature and as you said, how they'll hardly grow if it's that low. This image is a little out of date, but that's my general set up haha.

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Once your seedlings have emerged, I don't think you want them under a humidity dome at all. Others can comment, but the domes should strictly be for germination in my opinion. At this point, they need light and warm air circulation more than anything. Also, I would air on the side of less moisture. Lighter colored/yellowing leaves is probably too much moisture. Let them dry out and warm them up for a few days inside and see if it helps.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Here is what I thing:

1) Neither heating mat nor dome is necessary after germination.
    2) 50F overnight is ok, provided it is 60F + during the day.. At cooler temps and good lighting, seedlings grow slowly and stockier. Same applies to tomatoes.
    3) If it were me, I would pot those from peat plugs into potting mix..
    4) those seedlings appear to be too lanky. How far away the lights are ?. I keep the light at about 3" ; On 16 hrs., off 8 hrs.

Seysonn

• syntria
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Seysonn!

1) Thanks, I generally don't use the dome after germination.

2) I checked the temperature in my garage this morning, it was at 62 degrees according to my compost thermometer and the outside temp was 45. Assuming we don't get a cold snap, I might be safe there.

3) I plan to pot them up soon, I usually wait until they have at least two sets of true leaves

4) They are lanky because I let them germinate ona table with a heating pad inside since it was waaaay to cold in January to have them outside, and mistakenly let them grow for a few days with nothing but ambient light--only a few of them had germinated and those got really long. The ones that finished germinating under the lights are shorter and stockier. All my other peppers are under the lights and in the process of germinating now (About to start a round of tomatoes). Total mistake on my part to have left them out without direct light, I didn't expect them to germinate so fast! I had some peppers germinate in 2-3 days! They usually take 10+ days.

Thank yooou. :D

• syntria
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I also wanted to ask if any of you have any experience with DYI newspaper pots? Are they worth the effort? How long will they last? I do have a lot of plastic pots but I sort of like the idea of doing newspaper. What's the verdict on square versus circular pots? Are one better for roots than the other?

• dajsnipe
    9 years ago
    I ve used the newspaper pots, I think they work well but they have their limitations. You have to keep the grouped together or they will fall apart.
    Around hear, Michigan, we put them in a plastic 1 gallon milk jug -I think I remember fitting 9 in each jug- then we burry them in the snow. The plastic acts like a greenhouse as the snow melts and waters them. By the time the last frost date has passed their hardened off and ready for transplanting.
Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets