Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Help needed with WiFi thermostat

mtvhike
9 years ago

I want to replace the thermostat in my home with one which is WiFi-enabled. I purchased one from First Alert, and it didn't work properly, in addition to being ugly. So I returned it. I went to a plumbing distributor and they mentioned that there were still problems with the Nest and the Lyric; they suggested a specific Honeywell product, but they were out of stock on that model. Unfortunately, I neglected to write down the model number.

I would like one which would work with a two-wire heating only HVAC. I have no pumps, no blower, and no AC.

Yesterday, I was at Lowes and they had their Iris system on sale - the package for controlling your HVAC was reduced from $179 to $80. I downloaded the installation manual and it appears that it will work with a two wire system. Should I open the box and try it out (they have a 90-day return policy), or should I look for something better?

Comments (11)

• hvacfoco
    9 years ago

If they're offering a 90 day return and it seems like the product has potential and works with your system, give it a try as there's no risk in doing so. I'm not a fan of WiFi thermostats personally, but Honeywell Programmables have served me and my clients very well over the years. Take the Iris system for a drive and see how it serves. Doesn't make sense to spend more if it will work for you :) Hope this helps.

HVAC Fort Collins

• tigerdunes
    9 years ago

Provide the details of your HVAC system. Admittedly, I am not familiar with Iris product and certainly not a fan of these new lifestyle controllers especially with high end HVAC that usually work best and has full functionality with their proprietary controllers. But with the 90 day return policy, I see nothing wrong with trying it out. All you will be wasting is your time.

Good Luck.

• Park Ji Yeon
    8 years ago

I think you should read all review & choose best wifi thermostat for your home . It has many good thermostat , best for small hourse, large hourse, best for budget or flexible ....

Refer at site reviews

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update on my original post. I did buy the thermostat from Lowes which is part of their home automation system called Iris. I originally liked it, although to get all the advantages I had to get their service at $10/month. I could track my temperature usage using my iPhone or my desktop computer. Then, about a year later, they discontinued the model of hub and sent me a new one (for free). I am very dissatisfied with the new service, it won't work with the desktop computer. But, most of all, their service is very poor. When I call, it may take an hour or more on hold before I get someone, and the most that person will give me is "I don't know".

Before I switched hubs, I needed another WiFi thermostat for my new vacation home, so I got another Iris one, this time with the same, lame hub. Same problems and, in addition, the thermostat itself failed with no compensation from Lowes. The heating installer recommended a Honeywell 9000 series, which he got and installed. It works very well, so when I needed another Tstat for another zone, I got another and installed it myself (the box says "Pro", but I had no problem). Honeywell has a nice free service (mytotalconnectcomfort) which keeps track of my heating and if the tstat fails to connect, I get periodic messages telling me so (usually this is caused by either a router/cable-supplied internet failure or a power failure).

I'm thinking about replacing my Iris tstat at my primary residence with the same model Honeywell, just to get the peace of mind of knowing that it's working. The 9000 series Honeywell cost $215, but they have many look-alikes at Home Depot and Lowes for about half that price, and I don't know what the difference is. I would like to have this new one on the same Honeywell as the ones I already have. Any input here?

• opaone
    5 years ago

Thanks for the update.

I'm a fan of Honeywell thermostats. They're reliable and do what they're supposed to do every day. I think Nest and Ecobee have both come a long way and from what I've seen are also quite reliable. Control4 and many others are not reliable and good to avoid.

• sktn77a
    5 years ago

I'd get what you know works. These others may have their own idiosyncrasies that you absolutely hate!

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So, I'm now back at my vacation home and can look at the thermostats there. This house has in-floor radiant heating in both the basement and main floor. Because of limitations in the length of the PEX loop, the installer made each loop a separate zone, so I have 8 zones (with 8 thermostats!). Two of them (one in the largest space on each floor) have the Honeywell 9000 tstats, and the other size are Honeywell Pro TH2000DV/TH1000DV Series. The 9000 are WiFi and the others are not. All of them say "Pro Install". Unfortunately, the electricians who ran the tstat wire didn't run a "C" wire, so all of these are battery operated and, of course, fail when the batteries are depleted. Right now, that's the case for two of them, so I guess I will add these (and the rest) to the Annual Halloween Battery Replacement Schedule, along with the many hard-wired smoke detectors! My question above about the lookalikes still applies. One advantage of the Pro series is that I had purchased it at a plumbing supply house, and when one failed, they replaced it without question (longer warranty for the Pro series!).

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm going to have to reexamine the tstat wiring in my vacation home. Looking at the installation instructions on the 9000 tstat, it appears that a C wire IS required. The Honeywell Pro TH2000DV/TH1000DV Series ones are battery operated but I'll have to check on the 9000 ones I have installed. My primary home (the one with the Iris tstat) doesn't have a c-wire. There are simply 2 wires going down to the basement from behind the thermostat and they go to the boiler controller. Shorting out those two wires starts the boiler. I suppose I could fish a third wire and find a source of power for it. Or, find a Honeywell unit which doesn't require one. The Iris one has batteries.

• mike_home
    5 years ago

The radio inside a WiFi thermostat by default is constantly transmitting and receiving. That consumes a lot of power. They need a source of power. I am not sure if the battery will last a year.

I found this web site: Battery WiFI thermostats that don't need a C wire. The Ecobee has a power extender kit that might work for you.

• MiniSplit Heat
    5 years ago

Thermostat:

The biggestbenefit programmable thermostats offer is the cost savings. Energy bills continue to rise in all parts of the world, and the best way to combat this is to try to reduce your energy usage.

With programmable thermostats, you can adjust the temperature to the exact point of your own personal comfort.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths