Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilynjayne

What color deck stain?

Marilyn Smith
9 years ago
We are getting ready to stain our deck. I have attached pictures of the siding in the sunlight and not (1st & 3rd pics). I also attached a picture of the patio furniture. The siding is a taupe (tan with some gray imo). The trim and railings are white. My first selection for stain was cape cod gray (light with a hint of blue in the gray). Then I swapped and selected a dark stain; either Oxford brown or padre brown. We will be using behr solid color stain. Please help me choose! Thanks all for your thoughts.

Comments (9)

• Alison
    9 years ago

I agree with Brandi. Dark brown sounds good based on the pics so far. Would stand out well against the furniture/house. If you have a wider pic (including the roof color), it might help to confirm.

• Alice
    9 years ago
    Match the house - either pick the siding colour or the white trim colour. Dark brown is great for stains and outdoors yes but if your existing house doesn't have any dark brown in it already, then it's a bit mismatched to Suddenly and randomly have a dark brown deck.
  • Marilyn Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much for your comments. I did find two wider pictures of the upstairs deck. I also attached a picture of the brick on the house although there is siding on the deck area. Please check them out and let me know your suggestions. I appreciate it!
  • Alison
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would still say dark with these new pics. The house has brown tones in the siding, and dark color in the brick/roof so it could support the inclusion of dark wood. The dark wood I feel would make the chairs stand out more and slightly ground them.

• PRO
    Adirondack Design
    9 years ago
    Beware of staining or painting horizontal walking surfaces unless you don't mind doing it every year. What is the deck material? It looks to me your exterior materials were chosen for easy to zero maintenance requirements. I would look for something that will provide the same minimal maintenance requirement as everything else.
  • Marilyn Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The deck is pressure treated wood so we have to stain/seal it. We did let it 'weather' through the previous year's seasons. Since this is the first time, I anticipate needing to do it sooner but per the stain we are planning to use, it should last several seasons. It is also under cover.
  • Marilyn Smith
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am curious though about others experience. There is a concrete patio below this deck. While the concrete is sealed, should the roof (underside of the upstairs deck) be stained? My research thus far found that it shouldn't except for aesthetics.
  • PRO
    Adirondack Design
    9 years ago

We often install boards to the under side of the joists leaving a 3/8" gap between each board to allow for water and air to drain through just in case. This is a much better appearing surface than the open joists and the metal connectors.

As for your pressure treated decking once stained, it will last longer with the roof over it but again you'll be married to restaining it periodically. I would suggest a clear finish that will not appear to wear as quickly.