Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33

help with backyard landscape design

Nadine
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Installed pool last summer. Deck and shed are coming this spring. We are hoping to make part of our shed a changing area and want to add in some sort of walkway from the pool stairs to both the shed and the current patio. However, I feel like just having a single path through the yard would look weird. I'm leaning towards a paver pathway. I've included some pics of the property along with the proposed location of deck and shed and walkway. How do I incorporate the walkway? We have thought about increasing the size of the patio, or at least outlining it with some pavers too...

property:

ugh...can't seem to post pics from Photobucket anymore...

Comments (15)

• Kim in PL (SoCal zone 10/Sunset 24)
    9 years ago

Put the changing area closer to the pool.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Would agree that it's better to put the changing area closer to pool. Are you looking for advice on routing the path? ... design details? ... or what?

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, since it's also a shed we wanted to put it off to the side. I am looking for advice for both shed placement and path route.

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic, where should shed with changing room go? And we do want a path from patio to pool deck.

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and another view from the front. We figured we'd put the shed off to the left.

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Usually, one determines the location of various elements of a yard all at the same time, as part of the planning process. Here, it looks like the back yard is growing by accretion ... a piece at a time. While a given location might be perfect today, it could end up being wrong when additional features are added to the yard. My only criticism about the shed/changing room is that it seems a little far from the pool deck. Bringing it closer by 10 or 15' would seem better. But who knows now what that would impact if you decide on adding sports or recreational features in the future...?

On routing the path, avoid a snakey curvature. It could be straight, partially curved or an s-curve, but not wigglier than that.

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, backyard is growing one step at a time. Can't afford to do it all at once. I would love to get a design for everything, but don't know where. I really can't afford to be spending thousands just on plans, but I would like a general idea of overall design concept. We need a deck for the pool and we need a shed. Just a thought that the shed could double as a changing area, so trying to get an idea of where to put it I guess. The right side of our property is open space for play (baseball, volleyball, soccer). Might try to expand patio in the future. The area behind the garage is dead space right now...maybe add on to patio there, or do firepit somewhere there too. But it's hard to plan for these things when I know it woud be years away.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

PLANNING is what allows you to spread work over years and still get things in the right place. There are landscape designers everywhere. I'm sure you could find a local one to help you and it would not "cost thousands." Supposed you got someone to help you determine, locate and flesh out hardscape only (walk, shed, deck, patio, sports, etc.) It would not cost that much. Or you do the planning and get feedback here. (But many people don't seem to be up to the task I find. You have to be honest about your capabilities.)

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so just got my first estimate. To help design deck size and then deck and shed location along with a path and deck plantings: $750-900. That seems like an awful lot when it's only a small part of our yard. I'll try to keep looking, but that is what I'm afraid the cost will be like.

• cakbu z9 CA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In April of 2014 I made contact with a landscape designer/installer for a free consultation. At that time we went over the shortcomings of my front yard, my likes and dislikes, and what I would want. In order to get a hard copy design plan, the cost was $525. The designer came out and walked the yard and took measurements. The next visit he made he had the plans in hand with details of paths, mounds, rocks, mulch, lighting, and types and placement of plants. I did not go forward with him on the installation. I have been doing it myself slowly based on his plans. It has been going well and so far I have been able to do all the work myself. Although, I cannot handle big boulders and won't be installing lights, the project is looking pretty good. I have built mounds and planted them mostly according to the plan, and taken out a good amount of lawn. I have built redwood and cedar planters for areas that are unplantable due to large-tree root invasion. I am a 70 y.o. woman...so it can be done on a budget, especially if you aren't in a hurry. But, to me, the process is the fun!

• Nadine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not against doing some work myself (although a paver path may be a bit out of my reach). I just need to find someone who will give me full plans for a reasonable cost I guess.

• cakbu z9 CA
    9 years ago

I think what I paid, $525, was reasonable considering the fellow came out to my place 3 times, did a walkaround, measuring, pictures and drew up the plans which he gave to me. You need to get on the phone and start calling around for someone who will do an initial consult without cost to you.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It will make a difference if you are asking someone to size, shape and locate the deck ... or also include construction details (communicating to someone else HOW, in detail, it must be built.)

• fernfarmer
    9 years ago

Just one thought to offer: I imagine that you'd prefer the shed to be off to the side because you don't expect it to be that attractive, but I can assure you that your neighbors are going to be even less enthusiastic about looking at your shed than you are, whether or not they are bold enough to tell you so. If they are planning to put a matching shed on their side of the property line, the following ideas aren't relevant. Otherwise, if I were in your shoes, I'd move the shed further into the yard, make sure its roof doesn't drain onto your neighbor's property, screen it from them with some plants, and make it attractive from both sides of the property line, even if that means adding windows or trellis's or other elements that aren't strictly necessary. None of that would cost much, and all of it would earn you points with your neighbor. You could put the shed's "work" entrance on either the front or back ends of the shed and a nicer looking changing area entrance on the pool side, so that it looks like a proper pool house from your yard.