Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkhodo

Help me make this room look more polished - any ideas welcome

kkhodo
9 years ago

I am not a fan of how the colors have come together in my kitchen/living room. Any suggestions?? What would you do to this room to make it look more polished?

Comments (7)

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Most of your photos or prints are hung too high. I think the royal blue may be throwing you off. It does to me. I would take that color to cover the whole wall behind the stove to the corner. Also the white strip of what I think is shoe molding under the cabinets is blaring out. Paint it very carefully either the same color of the floor or the cabinets so there is a smooth transition there.

kkhodo thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Where is your refridgerator?

kkhodo thanked sandradclark
  • User
    9 years ago

The wall color is contributing to making the flooring look tired, the cabinets orange and the table bright yellow. The blue wall is opposite the cabinets on the color wheel, so having it behind them also makes them look orange by contrast. You have brown and red in the space, brown in the furniture, red accents with pillows and dining chairs. What would you think about losing the blue, warming up the walls to a warm taupe, and popping the end wall in living space as well as the wall behind the cabinets a warm (not purple) red? See Houzz Photos under "brown and red" for examples of this scheme.

kkhodo thanked User
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

Where is the frig?

• kkhodo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fridge is in our big pantry, just off the kitchen. When we had it in the kitchen, there was barely room for the kitchen table! Lol

• Jeanne Rice
    8 years ago

The color combinations are very choppy and contrast a little too much. For the kitchen, I would paint the cabinets white and add pretty hardware - either glass knob or polished nickel would be my choice. Paint all the walls in the kitchen and family room a creamy white. The floors would be nice if they were stained dark but that is not necessary. The art on the walls is out of scale and should either be single larger pieces or nothing at all. Take it all down and wait to find a piece of art you really like. Replace the red chairs with something more neutral and add pillows (pale blue and pale green are very soothing) . Mount the TV on the wall and pretty piece of furniture to house the components. I would also replace dark outdated couch and chairs with a slipcovered sofa in white or cream. Add similar colored pillow as in the kitchen for color.