Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sistereinstein

Question on sowing seed indoors using starter kit

Hi Everyone - I'm a noob gardener and am attempting to grow from seed. I bought a seed starter kit that has 6 cells per section, totaling 72 cells in a flat.

Do I sow one seed per flat, or 2-3 as instructed on the seed kit?

I'll be growing McKana's Giant Columbine mix, Paradisio Coneflower mix, Lavender Lady and Trailing Soapwort.

I'm hoping to grow first flowering perennials but it's frustrating when the seeds in the store doesn't actually state that it does.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Comments (7)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Their 2 to 3 seed suggestion is only a suggestion. Since many seeds are cheap and/or plentiful, and an empty cell is a lost opportunity, you might plant two or three seeds per cell and later, when the seedlings are looking like they're going to make it well, you thin each cell to the strongest seeming one plant each. Expensive or scarce seeds might go one-to-a-cell and you risk having unpopulated cells later, after a reasonable germination interval.

• sistereinstein (Z5a WI)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Grubby and Dave! This was really useful information.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning! So I decided to only plant Lavender Lady, Trailing Soapwodt and the McKana's Columbine Mix. All 12 cells of the Soapwoap sprouted, 6 are over 1-1/2" tall.

From what I've read it's time to put those out of the domed starter tray and under lights. If you all think it's too early just let me know. They are in a south facing window that is blocked by a free for a few hours.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the current light source

http://www.amazon.com/verilux-CFML27VLX-Natural-Spectrum-Replacement/dp/B000E841LM

Thank you most kindly for your feedback!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Out from under the dome immediately after germination. Domes are for germination only, not for growing on. The excess humidity under a dome is potentially harmful to the sprouted plants. Under the lights immediately after germination too. When delayed the plants get leggy with lanky stems quickly.

The light you linked to is far more expensive than needed. Most just use plain old $10 4' shop lights with a couple of fluorescent bulbs in them. The bulb you linked to also has a very small footprint since it has to be no more than 1'2 inches above the plants so wouldn't serve very many plants.

Dave

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave, I did not realize the light needed to be so close. Even with some great sun these buggers are leggy. Can they be saved?

• tanyuu
    9 years ago

I'm not sure how much it can help at this point, but try running an osculating fan over them. This will help strengthen the stalks, as well as help circulate air around.

All the seeds you've planted are perennials, so I don't think it's worth it to chuck them out by any means. If they're leggy this year, next year they'll come back right as rain.

Side a sidenote- watch out for columbines. If they really like you, they'll spread around. Unlike other potentially invasive species, however, they really space themselves out, so it's more a funny game of 'where will they pop up now' and 'what color will they be' since my family planted more than one variety. I have one healthy plant that grows from a crevice in a stone wall!