Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtotheyo

Ensuite & walk-in closet

gtotheyo
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We are turning a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet and ensuite. In the room, there is a double sliding door (leading to a wrap around veranda). We were initially hoping to turn the doors into a window (same width, not as long).

Nothing in this image has been created; there isn't a wall between the 2 spaces, as of yet.

We're having a hard time with the set up and are thinking we might have to rid the window all together, which would be a shame to lose the natural light.

Is there a better option? (the window is the blue line behind the toilet) A vanity with half a mirror seems ridiculous :(

Comments (21)

• emilyam819
    9 years ago

What if you move the sink to the closet wall and slide the toilet to the left so it is sort of in the corner to the side of the window?

gtotheyo thanked emilyam819
  • gtotheyo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the vanity would block the glass shower too much :(

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

That sounds like a good idea to me. Why do you not include two sinks in the vanity? I also would prefer to have a separate door to my closet & to the ensuite. For that matter, why not leave the sliding door as is & reconfigure so you can go to the veranda from the ensuite?

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I'm sorry , I thought it was a tub. Is it a tub/shower?

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

If so, I don't recommend putting in a glass door over a tub. It will just become a headache to clean.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I won't mind walking through a closet area to get to the bath area, however would not like to walk through the bath area to get to the closet. Think about that.

gtotheyo thanked sandradclark
  • gtotheyo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we want a stand-up glass shower! I also want 2 sinks in the vanity, just didn't include it in pic!

It's a second story veranda, but it would be nice to keep it!

• gtotheyo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that!!! Thanks!

• derk5
    9 years ago

Note that the above bathroom design locates the bath/shower plumbing on an exterior wall. This could be a problem if you are located in an area with cold winters. If so, you could turn the tub/shower to locate the plumbing on an interior wall and place the toilet along side it.

gtotheyo thanked derk5
  • gtotheyo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not an exterior wall, but great thought!! Something I didn't think of!

• Charles Kawas
    9 years ago

derk5 may I ask what design program this is to do your layout? I am trying to find a quick and easy design program to show customers a layout before projects.

• Charles Kawas
    9 years ago

gtotheyo if you can answer as well, that can be great

• PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago

You can do this kind of 2D in Sketchup. Then if your clients like it, pull up the walls and go 3D.

• Charles Kawas
    9 years ago
    This is a fast sketch of my next project that I would like to make more presentable to the client. Thank you for your help.
  • derk5
    9 years ago

ck_construction: I am using an older version of Microsoft Visio on a PC.

• Charles Kawas
    9 years ago
    Sorry this is a better pic.
  • Charles Kawas
    9 years ago
    Thank you. I have a Mac, so I am going to give sketch up a try, thank you again.
  • gtotheyo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

magicplan, for the i-pad. It's free, but are limited with design features... (no kitchens...)

• Charles Kawas
    9 years ago

ok great! thank you!

• PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago

ck, look at my profile for some examples of this kind of layout with Sketchup. I use the pro version, but there is also a free version.