Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Furbabies: Life, Adoptions, Surgeries, Happy Times . . . and Now Loss

LynnNM
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

These past few months have been filled with many ups and downs with my furkids. In mid-December, we were gifted with our adorable Sasha. A Tibetan Spaniel from a long line of champions, who needed a forever home where she could now just be loved and a part of a family. A perfect fit for us with our older Tibbie, Chloe and rescue Dobie, Ronin.

And then in January, Ronin ate part of my embroidered semi-sheer drapes and gave himself a partial intestinal obstruction. After a couple of days stay at our wonderful vet's clinic, that was taken care of. Thankfully without surgery! In early-February, Sasha needed to go in for her spaying and teeth cleaning. While there, our vet discovered that she also had a hernia and had to repair that as well. The overnight stay there set her back quite a bit in her feeling comfortable and confident that ours was at last her forever home. Poor thing! And then Ronin started to have stomach problems again. The peristaltic motion that moves the food through him had become very sluggish, due to damage done when he ate my drapes. He's now on 4 pills a day to help with that until further notice, as attempts to wean him off of them have not worked. Two weeks ago it was time for him to have his teeth cleaned and a couple of suspicious bumps removed. It ended up with 5 lesions being taken off (all looked benign, thankfully) and 3 teeth pulled during the cleaning. Of course, him having canine hemophilia, complicated matters even more, but he made it through OK. Anyhoo, he was then in a huge cone collar for two weeks until the stitches came out. This "cone time" unfortunately coincided with DD and two of her girl friends being home here for a week over Spring Break. We all ended up with bruised backs and legs from our very friendly coned Dobie (LOL), but we love him so it was well-tolerated. I took him back this past Monday to have all his many stitches removed. Happy day for us all, as no more cone!

And the early yesterday morning, our other Tibbie, Chloe, started having difficulty breathing. I rushed her into our vet before 7AM. They did all they could to save her, but her heart just stopped. I lost my sweet ten year old "baby" around 1:15 yesterday afternoon.

We're all still pretty devastated by it, as this was so unexpected and much too soon. Ronin and Sasha are confused and stressed out, as well. They must sense that something terrible has happened to their sister. I've cancelled my appointments for today and tomorrow and am just staying home here while we try and heal some together. I can't talk about it without breaking down, but it's helping to talk/type about it here. I hope you don't mind.

I truly believe that all dogs do go to Heaven. I've always thought of them as our Earth angels, being so unconditionally loving and giving. I know that my Chloe is in a good place, but my heart still hurts a whole lot missing her.

Comments (48)

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Oh, Lynn, I'm so so sorry. Losing a beloved pet is one of the most heartbreaking events of one's life. Both of my Boxers are 10yo (very old by Boxer standards) and I'm starting to get moments of deep sadness knowing they may not be with us much longer.

Do what you can to heal and bask in sweet memories of Chloe. oxox

LynnNM thanked MagdalenaLee
  • tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh my, I am so sorry, Lynn. Sounds like your brood has put you through the wringer of late. Maybe Chloe decided she wasn't going to be left out and in fact be the crown jewel in the triad of canines challenging their owners! The only word to describe it, IMO, is agony. I've seen "sibling" dogs mourn these losses as well, and it's remarkable. The suddenness of it must make it that much more difficult to come to grips with.

Fortunately for dogs, they live in the moment, so for sure Chloe is content. I don't know what happens to anyone after the fact, but I do know that dogs sure bring a slice of Heaven to us while they're here.

And for many dogs, people like you bring a slice of Heaven to them, by providing them wonderful homes, a lot of love, and Milk Bone flavored drapes. Pat yourself on the back for having done that for Chloe.

So very sorry for all you're going through. I hope Sasha and Ronin have a stretch now of good health.

LynnNM thanked tibbrix
  • busybee3
    9 years ago

it's so hard to lose pets-- I never lost one suddenly- that must be even harder! :( my condolences!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear about your pup. Glad you are taking the time to grieve and take care of the other two.

LynnNM thanked joaniepoanie
  • User
    9 years ago

I am so very sorry, Lynn. I know what a difficult and sad time this is for you and your family.

LynnNM thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss of Chloe, Lynn. I know it is a time of great sadness for you and your family and hope your other pups will keep bringing you joy and happiness. Also hope Ronin wil keep improving! Hugs!

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • blfenton
    9 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry. Hugs to you all including Sasha and Ronin . I hate losing pets, it so sad and distressing and yet, for some reason, I feel the need to have them in my life and I always wind up with more. And I too believe that all pets go to Heaven.

LynnNM thanked blfenton
  • Funkyart
    9 years ago

Oh Lynn, my heart breaks for you.. much love to you and your family (which includes furry ones!)

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    9 years ago

(((((((HUGS))))))

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • riosamba
    9 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

LynnNM thanked riosamba
  • maddielee
    9 years ago

I am so sorry.

ML

LynnNM thanked maddielee
  • Olychick
    9 years ago

I, too, am so very sorry to hear you've lost your little fur baby. I hope your other "kids" will do what they can to fill the void.

LynnNM thanked Olychick
  • amj0517
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry. Type away if it helps. We're here to listen.

LynnNM thanked amj0517
  • User
    9 years ago

Lynn - It's been a hard year for you and all your family this past year+. I'm so sorry your sweet Chloe is gone. Hoping all the "Linens" do better soon. Java

LynnNM thanked User
  • Irish2
    9 years ago

Lynn I am so sorry for your loss. Chloe is in heaven and hopefully my boys Buddy & Yanni along with their sister Casey will welcome her just like all the great people here on GW/Houzz do for all "newcomers"

Marcia

LynnNM thanked Irish2
  • violetwest
    9 years ago

(sad)

LynnNM thanked violetwest
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Wow, you've been through a lot. Then to lose your sweetie. I'm so sorry.

LynnNM thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • inthetrees
    9 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss. There is so much joy and heartache with our pets. You are a wonderful fur-mom.

LynnNM thanked inthetrees
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your kind, kind words of comfort. They're helping a lot. I feel lethargic and numb today, but am trying to focus more on my many happy memories with Chloe. Despite her small, 11-pound size and mellow demeanor, she has always been the alpha dog of the bunch. Ronin and Sasha are acting quite lost today, but we've been snuggling together in the family room watching the Property Brothers and I think that close physical contact is helping us all. Again, thank you so much!

• awm03
    9 years ago

Sure wish I could give you a hug & a shoulder to cry on, Lynn. I am so sorry your darling Chloe is gone, poor little thing. I imagine Brutuses was there to welcome Chloe with loving, gentle arms.

LynnNM thanked awm03
  • Bonnie
    9 years ago

Oh Lynn, I am so very sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your beloved Chloe. Sudden loss is absolutely devastating, so unexpected and so bewildering.

We lost our beloved Springer Spaniel, Dakota (a rescue dog, whom we adopted when he was one) in a similar manner. It was awful, simply awful for our family. We still miss him to this day, but are grateful that he was "THE" family dog, the one that the kids will always remember!

I do believe that dogs cross the "rainbow bridge" and romp freely without pain.

Sending hugs your way, Lynn.

LynnNM thanked Bonnie
  • User
    9 years ago

Lynn, our fur babies are nature's work of perfection, the only flaw is that they leave us too soon. I am so sorry for your loss. --Lukki

LynnNM thanked User
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My sweet Chloe, taken just a week ago

• User
    9 years ago

I don't have any words of wisdom to impart, but I am just so sorry for you.

LynnNM thanked User
  • Bethpen
    9 years ago

Lynn, I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was beautiful!

LynnNM thanked Bethpen
  • gsciencechick
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lynn, I am so sorry to hear of your sudden loss of Chloe.

LynnNM thanked gsciencechick
  • cat_mom
    9 years ago

I am so sorry, Lynn. It's never easy, nor does it ever get any easier losing them. Spend as much extra time as you can with Sasha and Ronin. You will all benefit from that.

Big (((HUGS))).

LynnNM thanked cat_mom
  • DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Oh, ((Lynn)) I'm so sorry your sweet Chloe is gone. I know your furbabies have always been such a big part of your life and this is a huge loss for all of you. What a precious face she had.

LynnNM thanked DLM2000-GW
  • jlc712
    9 years ago

Lynn, I am so sorry to hear this. Chloe looks like such a sweetheart. She was lucky to have you and I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you.

You have been through a lot! Take good care of yourself. Hugs--

LynnNM thanked jlc712
  • Renovator Girl
    9 years ago

What a beautiful girl. So sorry for your loss.

LynnNM thanked Renovator Girl
  • Faron79
    9 years ago

I too mourn with you Lynn. It's so DAMN hard losing the furry loved-ones! I know at some level, the rest of your brood "knows". Be with them, & take care of YOU too.

Thinking of you!
    Faron

LynnNM thanked Faron79
  • User
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear this, Lynn. It's devastating to lose a beloved pet.

LynnNM thanked User
  • mojomom
    9 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Even with Sasha and Ronin to help you, I'm sure the house feels a bit empty now. In the middle of your grief it seems almost impossible to imagine recovering from the loss of a companion like Chloe, but as I know you know you do . . . somehow. She was a beautiful girl.

LynnNM thanked mojomom
  • Yayagal
    9 years ago

Gosh, just looking at the picture of beautiful Chloe made me want to cry, the pain is awful when you lose your little pal. I've experienced it and there is serious mourning a an awful lost feeling. It knocks you for a loop along with the rest of the family. I used to see my dog for weeks like teeny glimpses of him which were all in my head but real at the time. I'm counting on seeing my furbabies when I meet my maker, for sure.

LynnNM thanked Yayagal
  • romy718
    9 years ago

What a beautiful little girl. I'm so sorry for you, your family and Ronin & Sasha.

LynnNM thanked romy718
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Lynn, I'm in tears as I write my condolences to you and your family. It's always been apparent that your dogs are such a big part of your family.

I lost my oldest, my beloved Sam, on 2/24. He lived to be 14 years and 10 months, and was loving and wagging his tail til the end.

We give them our love and care and get so much more from them. From my dog loving home to yours, we send our sympathy.

LynnNM thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • mitchdesj
    9 years ago

what sad news, how hard this must be for you. I wish you strength and courage, she looks adorable.

LynnNM thanked mitchdesj
  • texanjana
    9 years ago

Lynn, I am so very sorry for you and your family. I know your precious Chloe is romping in heaven. Sending healing, comforting thoughts to you and yours.

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • 2pups4me
    9 years ago

Lynn, so sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your other fur babies comfort in the days to come.

LynnNM thanked 2pups4me
  • lascatx
    9 years ago

Lynn, so sorry for your loss. Hope Ronin and Sasha are doing okay. I know it's hard on all of you. (hugs)

LynnNM thanked lascatx
  • justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh Lynn... I'm so sorry for your the loss of your precious Chloe. She's such a cute little darlin'. Praying for healing for healing for you and your family and other fur babies.

LynnNM thanked justgotabme
  • denali2007
    9 years ago

I am so sorry that you have lost your little girl. I can't imagine how hard that is. I have two 14 year old girls and one had 2 vertigo attacks this fall and I was a mess. She really seems to have had a setback from them.
    Again, so sorry to hear this.

LynnNM thanked denali2007
  • aprildodd
    9 years ago

I am so sorry. It's heartbreaking when our fur babies cross the bridge. Never, ever easy.

LynnNM thanked aprildodd
  • Sueb20
    9 years ago

So sad. I'm very sorry, Lynn.

LynnNM thanked Sueb20
  • stratfordroad
    9 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss... I've been there and understand how all of you must miss Chloe so much that it hurts. My first Dobie broke my heart when I lost her - so give Ronin a hug, as I'm sure he's a sensitive boy.

LynnNM thanked stratfordroad
  • Springroz
    9 years ago

What an angel she is!! It is so hard to lose them.

LynnNM thanked Springroz
  • LynnNM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awww, thank you all so much. It's getting a bit easier every day, but the hole in my heart still hurts a lot. Today was the first day I left Ronin and Sasha to meet a friend in town for lunch. The "kids" did ok while I was gone and we went for a nice walk when I got home. Today is the first day Emily has not called me from college sobbing because she's mourning her Chloe Bear. So, I'm hoping that she's healing now, too.

Stratfordroad: thank you for that. I truly believe that we will, and since I've had dogs I've loved pretty much my entire life, there will be a huge, happy pack meeting up with me someday. That's a good thought to hang on to :^ )

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz