Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy9601

what color of tile do i replace in front of my fire place with?

tammy isaacs
9 years ago
we are replacing carpet with a darker wood. We repainted the wall to dark gray called mink

Comments (13)

• tammy isaacs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    do you think the new tile on the floor in front of the fire place should go the full length of the fireplace?or just in front of the fireplace insert?
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

Go the full length of the fireplace, but not as far out in to the room--maybe to the end of the second row of tiles.

• lucidos
    9 years ago

Is it possible you can take more pics of the room? The flooring and hearth looks like it is connected to the adjacent area. Also the TV and the fireplace are in competition. If we can see the entire room it would help us make better suggestions.

• tammy isaacs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    we have took out the carpet. we're waiting on flooring to arrive. We have paint the walls drk gray an a light gray. I so thank all of you for help. the room is big, the 2nd pic is from our balcony
  • lucidos
    9 years ago

Two more images would be great - the area in back of the recliners at ground level and then the area to the right of the fireplace leading into the adjacent portion as you stand at the sofa edge..

• tammy isaacs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    pic#1an2 are from the front door. the 3pic we are taken up the old tile in front of the fire place, we found the stone under it. The 4th pic is from the kitchen looking in to livingroom
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Find a tile that is the same depth of tone as your floor but echos the deeper grout tones / greiges in your stone on the fireplace itself. A classic hearth oblong shape would be better than the current point / arch ..

• lucidos
    9 years ago

Looking at this space and the odd placement of the furnishings and walls I can't help but think of some massive changes.

I would either eliminate the wall behind the TV and open up the room so the fireplace did not look all tucked in the corner. Or make the opening to the kitchen smaller and shorten the side near the fireplace. Of course I can't see that side of the wall from what you are showing.

Get a sofa with recliners on each end.

Transition the hearth using the same material as the flooring in the adjacent kitchen/hall with a curve.

While playing with your floor plan I came up with this rough sketch.

• acm
    9 years ago

I was going to vote for a dark gray -- you don't want to feature it. Just find something that goes with both the new wood color and the darker tones of the stone/mortar. And dark grout, so it all just disappears.

• tammy isaacs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thank you Lucidos, your help an suggestions are great.I can't move the wall closest to the fireplace because on the other side is the kitchen an I would lose those cabinets.The kitchen is v. small ,also the balcony is above the kitchen.its all a work in progress.
  • lucidos
    9 years ago

The image was a bit of an optical delusion :) I now see the TV wall is squared to the window at the right of the fireplace. Can you give the dimensions of the living room? Also would you consider making the kitchen opening smaller which would give you more kitchen space and wall space in the living room?

• tammy isaacs
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    the living room is 22 ft long by 32ft wide. kitchen is 15 long by 10ft wide. We are putting in the new flooring now .plz look over all the clutter .some of the pics are older .will do kitchen next yes we are thinking of closing in the entry way to the kitchen but thought it might not look right .the 1an3 pic is the entryway into a bathroom behind the kitchen