Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlg

Please help. What color should I paint the door(s)?

Susan Guthrie
11 years ago
I would really appreciate your opinion on what color to paint the doors of our garage. I would like the leave the big garage doors white, as that is maintenance free, but the walk through door(s) do need to be painted. The stain on the siding is Cabot - Bluestone. Would a high gloss dark navy blue work? I can't think of anything else that might, hence my question. It has been 3 years, and the doors still have just the white primer coat, because I can't decide and do not want to make a mistake. This is the view from my kitchen sink, so I feel guilty every time I look out the window. This spring I am going to be brave and paint! I know it is just paint, and this is ridiculous, but please help. I'm thinking I should paint the small door on the side of the garage with a color similar to the siding, to help make it blend away.
Thank you very much for your time and thoughts on this, my first design dilemma question.

Comments (7)

• Susan Guthrie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some more pictures.
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    Since none of the doors are symmetrical, I would paint them all the nice gray body color (Cabot Bluestone) and make them all blend in. It would make attention go to the nice shingled roofline.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I agree that the doors should be the same color as the siding. What a nice and roomy garage.
  • Arlen Dau
    11 years ago
    I would paint the garage doors and side door a color slightly darker than the siding so they stand our less. For the front door, I would suggest a navy or burgundy.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    arlendau has a good idea, or you could match all the entry doors to the front. The garage doors should be a different color.
  • Susan Guthrie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all, so very much. I was afraid of having to paint the big garage doors, but it seems you all agree, it must to be done. Thanks for telling me what I needed to hear (paint the big doors) instead of what I wanted (leave them white).
    @houssaon, Thanks, yes you would think it would be nice and roomy, but 2/3 of the garage is partitioned off as my husband's work shop. That’s ok though, because he loves it. I share the left side with all of the garden equipment & snow blower. There is just enough room left to park my car. I am grateful that I do not have to clean snow & ice off my car in the winter.
    @mmilos, I agree, and the lack of symmetry really bugs me. The door placement was dictated by my husband’s work shop design. He wanted a desk in the corner, and a desk should have a window, so there you go. He is definitely in the form follows function camp. Sometimes you have to pick your battles, right? I’m glad my view of it is angled more towards the side (first picture).
    That said, I do think the building is pretty and once all the doors are properly painted out, it will look even better. Thank you all again for taking the time to share your opinions with me. I appreciate your help.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I'm glad we helped. I'm a fan of the door color being as the same as the base, which will minimise the "lack of sysmetry." By the way, you could mount a trellis on the front between the right bay and the window to help visually balance the facade. I mounted mine on carrage bolts so I can take them off.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County