Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abredin77

Can you hire Landscape Architects/Designer just for the plan?

Amy
9 years ago

Hello! We live in a small HOA subdivision in NC. We've added nothing to our lot since our house went up six years ago. It's too intimidating because what we are looking at is our house in the front of a 1/4 acre lot that has nothing except the four bushes and one tree and the sprinkler system that came with the house when they built it.

What I really want to do is hire a landscape architect or designer to design a plan that we can then pull together through both paid projects and DIY as we have the money and time. I personally enjoy the simple DIY aspects but past a certain point would need to hire out for anything more difficult. Is this something that either a Landscape Architect or Designer would do? Or do they expect to to be hired to oversee the implementation of their plan and have the whole plan construction start immediately?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sears Design Group, PA
    9 years ago

Thank you for your question. We work with a range of clients to design their landscape through a Master Plan approach. The implementation schedule varies with each including from phased over time. We would be happy to talk to you! Thanks again, Ron

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

From my experience it's common to do "just a plan" for those who want to DIY. Either a landscape architect or landscape designer could do. You would want to go with LA if you have complex grade or hardscape issues. Otherwise, landscape designer is fine. LA could be more expensive, but not necessarily if just planting plan. For many years I worked in LA office doing only commercial work, but some of the guys took residential work as side jobs. It would depend on the office.

• Late Sound
    9 years ago

Do you know what would be a fair price to pay (ball park figure) for a plan so we/consumer can DIY.,

• PRO
    Sears Design Group, PA
    9 years ago

Please give me a call 919-832-7000 and I would be happy to discuss what you're looking for and our fees. Thanks, Ron

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Impossible to say without seeing the property and discussing with you/consumer personally as to wants and needs. Size of the site and complexity of the project (drainage/grading/soil issues, hardscaping, etc.) would also also factor into the cost. And design costs do vary from region to region and with the experience and skill level of the designer.

I've done small planting plans that run only a couple of hundred dollars to full scale master landscape plans for large properties (in excess of an acre) that ran into the thousands.

• PRO
    KD Landscape
    9 years ago

You can always Google for landscape architects and designers in your area. Their website portfolios tell a big story as to the competence and skill level of their design and construction. Pick out a couple that you like and simply call to discuss fee structures and what you want to accomplish.

Good luck with your project!

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

DH and I just received three concepts for part of our backyard from a LA who charges $110 per hour. We have difficult grade issues, and the final cost was $2000. These are just concepts - no elevations or drawings of wall construction. I thought this rather expensive, but I'm so happy to have a clear vision (one we could never have imagined on our own) of where we're going with our backyard. We live in the D.C. area.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, grading issues certainly increase the complexity of any landscape design and will bump up the cost accordingly. My most expensive design project (with both the design stage and the implementation) to date was also one that involved significant grading and terracing on a large (3 acre) site.

But that is not a standard condition for all sites . Properties that offer less technical and challenging issues should not generate such pricey plans, especially for concepts and not working drawings. Unless one hires a big name designer :-))

• Joëlle
    5 years ago

Hi Amy, I have the same exact question that you asked above. I alao live in NC and am curious to know if you ever hired anyone and what was the experience/cost.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 years ago

I can help you at a very reasonable rate.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES