Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Need help with curb appeal: driveway, walkway, trees, landscaping...

ssdarb
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, we have lived here a long time, but have never really touched the front yard beyond replanting things that have died. We have to get some plumbing work done which will cause a trench to be dug through the driveway and through some of the landscaping. We'll have to patch, resurface, or replace the driveway after the plumbing work is done. DH said since the driveway is all cracked and ugly anyway, lets make this an opportunity to redo the frontyard in general. So...I need some help on what we should do.

Currently there is a circular pea-gravel driveway. We could keep the current shape and just resurface the whole thing, or we could replace it and change the shape. He thought maybe we don't need/want a circular driveway, instead just doing a normal driveway on the right and re-landscaping the other area, adding a new walkway to the front door, more trees, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

We're in Zone 9. Suburban Houston area.

Comments (9)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You are in Texas so I am discouraging removing the circular drive. If replaced you would likely add more grass which would just need more water. Both of your trees need a trim. Do that before you do anything else.

• PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago

I agree with @emmarene regarding trimming your trees. You should give everything else a good trim and clean up. Some of your specimen shrubs and trees are a little tired looking. Maybe you could replace with same specimens or new ones that you like.

I would keep the driveway shape, but maybe redo in a different material to avoid cracking concrete.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The picture is a bit distant to make out much detail, but you really can't get a good picture with the shaggy trees and barrier island. Maybe you could photo the front of house in large sections. (Try making pictures larger, too.) I find all the shrubs in that island very unappealing. Actually, most of the shrubs in front of the house look spent and abused. I like the drive but, of course, can't see its flaws. I'm sure there's a way to make it nice. While I think you should definitely get some direction here, you will probably need to hire a landscape designer to "bring this together" for you.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

strayerdarb, is this thread abandoned or will you be reacting to the comments & questions?

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not abandoned. I am reading the comments, but I was traveling and having trouble with connection where I was, so responding was difficult.

The tree trimmers are coming next week. I agree I don't like the bushes. I do have to replace or repair/resurface the driveway because it's about to be dug into during a plumbing project that we have to do. We can keep the shape (circular drive), or change the look of the front in general by not doing a circle drive and deciding on a totally new look/landscape scheme for the front yard. Not doing this for resale, but I won't do anything out of character for the neighborhood just in case.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

What about the better pictures? Possible?

• patty_cakes42
    9 years ago

Why not re-do the circular driveway in crushed granite? I've seen many up-scale homes using it rather than cement that cracks and weeds growing in the separations. Do check with your HOA if your neighborhood has one.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What angle is needed for better pictures?

On the crushed granite, they don't allow it. It has to be solid such as concrete, brick, stone, etc.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

For pictures, stand on the other side of that tree that's in the island and stay in that spot for all pictures. Pan from left to right and take slightly overlapping pictures so that you capture the entire house and some flanking space at each end. It would be good to bump the picture size up some as the ones you've posted are quite small.