Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightstar123

Best antique/old garden rose books?

9 years ago

Hi again, I have a serious case of Rose-itis and am looking for recommendations for reading material. I'm particularly interested in historical/OGR books but happy to hear about anything interesting :) Sorry if this has been covered a lot, I couldn't find any similar threads. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• 9 years ago

Do you mean old books or books about old roses? Clarification is appreciated. There have been threads about books on old roses, but it doesn't hurt to revive the topic every now and then.

• 9 years ago

Sorry yes - actually I would be interested in both - books on old roses and well-known old/antique books on roses.

• 9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. I don't buy all the latest books, nor do I have antiquarian tastes, but fortunately other forum members do and can help you out. The references I find I use most are the following:

Vintage Gardens Book of Roses -- Their catalog. This is an astonishingly informative book for the size of the volume, though it's a good-sized book. Crammed with information, and my most-used book reference.

Botanica's Roses -- This is not the latest rose dictionary, but is the most complete I know of and has a lot on the old roses. I have the hard-backed edition, and it's quite a tome.

The Royal Horticultural Society's Encyclopedia of Roses is a little more recent, not quite as ample, and good; so is

Phillips and Rix's The Ultimate Guide to Roses. I'm also re-evaluating Roses by the same authors, for its careful photographs of flowers, buds, thorns, foliage and other details. The book isn't one of the latest and isn't rich in text, but may prove useful for identifying varieties.

Climbing Roses of the World by Charles Quest-Ritson -- This book has been heavily panned on the forum and to be honest I'm not sure why (I would appreciate input): I've found it informative and I like the organization.

The Graham Stuart Thomas Rose Book -- Rather old and in some respects dated but still worth reading, lots of information from a good writer.

Roses by Jack Harkness -- Not new, not only about old roses, but very very readable and informative, particularly regarding the development of modern garden roses (whicb are, of course, descended from the old ones).

My other great source of rose information is the invaluable online site HelpMeFind. If you don't know it already, you need to make its acquaintance as soon as possible. It's especially useful if you're looking for information about a particular cultivar; books are probably better for general orientation.

Welcome to the world of rosemania!

Melissa

• 9 years ago

Thanks Melissa :) Out of those I only have the Botanica one so I will definitely investigate the others!

• 9 years ago

To the above fine list by Melissa, I would add
    1. Beales' Classic Rose Handbook
    2. Noisette Roses: 19th Century Charleston's Gift to the World
    3. Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens

The last two of course are related exclusively to Noisettes and Teas respectively. I find the Beales book invaluable and I refer to it constantly.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bright star, I think I saw that you are in the Sydney area on another thread. Here is a link that may help you also:

heritage.rose.org.au

They have a lot of publications listed including those already mentioned.

Melodye

• 9 years ago

I would like to second the Beales book - I have several others of his which are very pretty, but this is the one that I return to for reference.

• 9 years ago

Graham Stuart Thomas's Rose Book is a comprehensive classic, but the book he wrote I find more inspiring for garden designing is the "Art of Gardening with Roses". He highlights a subset of his favorite varieties of roses and perennials and shows how they're used in landscaping and garden design--using examples from the premier rose garden he designed at Mottisfont Abbey, England.

I also like Beale's Classic Roses.

Roses by Phillips and Rix has some good botanical photos for identification of roses, though less subjective information written about each one. Many of the photos were taken at Mottisfont Abbey.

• 9 years ago

A couple of Australian books I use all the time are

Deane M Ross. A Manual of Heritage Roses. Ross Roses, Willunga, SA, 5172. (1989)

Roger Mann. Yates Roses: a practical guide. Harper Collins Publishers. (2002)

These are not big glossy 'coffee-table' books, but full of information, and highly recommended.

Deane Ross's book is good both as an introduction to the subject and for ongoing reference, having some of the most useful descriptions I've found of the large selection of old and species roses he grew in his wonderful display gardens in Willunga, arranged by families and classes. Includes a section on old favourite Australian 'nostalgia' roses, describes the different rootstocks used in Oz, and has plenty of practical cultural info. Small enough and a great reference/companion to take with you on garden/nursery visits. DR was one of the local pioneers of rediscovering and growing the old-fashioned roses.

Roger Mann's book does include moderns too, but is very good for historical background, putting the different classes into a historical perspective. Then there's the Gallery of photos and descriptions, handily arranged by bloom colour. I love the way his descriptions evoke the character of each rose, conveying his affection for, and intimate knowledge of each one's special qualities. Lots of other general info inc propagation, recommendations for specific needs (eg thornless, black-spot resistant, 'really fine hips' etc) plus recipes and general cultivation advice.

Comtesse :¬)

• 9 years ago

Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens (Chapman, Drage, Durston, Jones Merrifield, & West) -- is just The Best for those of us who live in warm zones, and grow Teas. It's the book we waited decades for.
    I still love Landscaping With Antique Roses (Druit & Shoup) -- one of the first books I bought that REALLY helped me.
    EVERBLOOMING ROSES For the Out-Door Garden of the Amateur (Georgia Torrey Drennan, 1912) is so good it is "bedtime reading" for me -- and a history lesson beside. Drennan's husband commanded the Confederate Forces through the Siege of Vickburg, and his letters home are THE definitive account of that pivotal event. She knows her roses, too! You will LEARN from her.
    The Charm Of Old Roses (Nancy Steen, New Zealand) is still a great book.
    A Book About Roses (Hole) -- The shade of Sean McCann reminds me that that 19th-Century book is still sooooo relevant.
    Roses Of The World In Color (McFarland) -- Can't get enough of those wonderful color plates. And add in all of the earliest years of the American Rose Annual, Edited by McFarland.
    The Rose (Ellwanger, 1882) is still a treasure.
    OLD ROSES, (Ethelyn Emory Keays, 1935) remains more informative and relevant than you could ever guess. I almost worship that wise woman.

That's a start.

• 9 years ago

Gerd Krussman's 'The Complete Book of Roses is encyclopaedic, if somewhat dated and a bit confusing...but a terrific resource for anyone interested in species roses along with the botany and breeding (as oppsed to design....although will get to that)
    I am another Rix and Phillips collector - I think I have the entire series, all of which have proved invaluable reference books with added detail regarding plants in their natural habitat.
    Designing with Roses by Tony Lord was a sumptuous book which went beyond the usual trellis, Bagatelle, National Trust country house blah blah style - I still remember a wonderful picture of nutkana semi-plena in Miriam Ostler's garden - lush (although the pages fell apart very quickly in my copy).
    As many have mentioned, Graham Stuart Thomas wrote a useful trio of books which stay close to hand - Shrub Roses of |Today, The Old Shrub Roses and (my favourite) Climbing Roses, Old and New.
    Gardening with Old Roses by John Scarman is an excellent book, as is pretty much anything by Jack Harkness
    Wild and Old Garden Roses - Gordon Edwards (I always value anything about species roses). Similarly, Peter Boyd has written extensively about the little Scot's roses (pimpinellifolias
    Edward Bunyan, Gertrude Jekyll (with Mawley|), Rev.Pemberton Thomas River's have all written great rose books which are often available on the interweb for free - and all are worth reading.
    Not exclusively about roses, but William Robinson's The Wild Garden has always been influential throughout my gardening life - as a supremely irascible and prickly character, it is a happy synchronicity that Wm Robinson is most sympathetic to those roses of murderously thorny disposition ( briars and ramblers ).

• 9 years ago

Oh, that little Lester book is such a charmer. I think of him every time I follow him into the foothills.

• 9 years ago

There are more than a handful of old books that are available free online via Google Books and other such sources. I think someone posted a link in an earlier thread that directed online users to quite a few old rose e-books... I'll try to relocate it.

For my birthday, my husband is giving me used copies of 'In Search of Old Roses' (I know- how can I not have read this already?), and Ethelyn Keays' 'Old Roses', a book that Jeri has recommended, and that- from bits I've read online- I know is well-written and engaging.

A book I already have- really, the only rose-related book I have- is the previously mentioned 'Noisette Roses: 19th Century Charleston's Gift to the World', and if you have any interest in Noisettes, it is a worthwhile read.

Two other books I hope to obtain are 'Wild and Old Garden Roses' by Gordon Edwards and 'Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens' by the Australian 'Tea Bag Ladies'. Much of its text is available online, but I want the physical book with pictures...

Here is a link to a bookstore that sells old books about roses, and there may be something listed here that 'calls to you': http://www.oldroses.com A good source for used books in general is http://www.abebooks.com

Let us know what you find to read!

Virginia

• 9 years ago

http://www.oldroses.com -- This is Limberlost Rose Books -- Bob Edberg. A wonderfully-knowledgeable formerly-Southern Californian rosarian. Highly-recommended.

• 9 years ago

"100 Old Roses for the American Garden" by Clair G Martin is a favorite of mine primarily because of the quality & size of the photos by Saxon Holt.

• 9 years ago

Some of the most interesting to me are the chapter on roses in Michael Pollan's great book, Second Nature; Thomas Christopher's In Search of Old Roses; and Gerd Krussman's crazy pack-rat trove, recommended by Campanula.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I recently read Second Nature (much enjoyed) but was bemused by the references to 'acid rain' till I noticed it was written way back in the 80/90s.

• 6 years ago

"Garden of a Thousand Roses: Making a Rose Garden in Australia" Susan Irvine was a fantastic book I will always treasure. Many above choices are great books also, but this was even better. Hard to find, but a treasure.

• 6 years ago

Brightstar -- Since you are in Australia, I recommend: "Tea Roses: Old Roses For Warm Gardens". It's a GREAT book on the old Teas, and it was written by a group of Australian ladies.

• 6 years ago

I apologize for bumping up this old thread but Houzz will not let me even click on the box for new topics. So pretend that this is a new topic.

OT Melissa - ancient farm manual

While looking for something else I stumbled on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimus_Junius_ Silanus_translator_of_Mago. Decimus Junius Silanus was the 2nd century BC Roman translator of a Carthaginian farm manual acquired when Carthage fell at the end of the last Punic War. The rest of the Carthaginian library was given to the king of Numidia. The original text, the Roman translation and the Greek translation have been lost. However, Roman writers have referenced it. At the above site are listed certain subjects, e.g., bee keeping, with the specific site in the existing (referencing) Roman text. I have not yet explored them. Thought you might find it interesting.

Cath

• 6 years ago

Thanks, Cath!

• 6 years ago

My collection lacks about a half-dozen volumes of those mentioned, and I'm now on the lookout. Thanks for everyone's contribution to one of the most fascinating discussions I've read here.

Gwen Fagen's lavish Roses at the Cape of Good Hope.

And, my most fun read, The Bedside Book of Old-Fashioned Roses, by Keith Money. Evidently, back in the day, he and Peter Beales hunted roses together along English byways. I do read this one in bed.

I've tried several times: I find the esteemed Mrs. Keays thoroughly unreadable. Such a muddle. Where was her editor?