Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer2413

What's wrong with this penny tile?

jennifer2413
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So this is actually my laundry room floor, but I thought someone here would know.

Here is the pretty blue penny tile I picked, pre-grout.

And here it is post-grout.

I told my contractor I don't think it looks right, but I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. Too much grout? Or is that how it should look?

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    9 years ago

That's how it should look. What seems "off" to you?

jennifer2413 thanked Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
  • jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It just looks overwhelmed by the grout to me, like you lose the definition of the tile. But as I said, I wasn't sure. thanks for reassuring me!

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See how in this photo you can still see the round edges of the penny tiles?

• Fori
    9 years ago

Since the tiles edges are not as blue as the middle, the edges don't stand out from the grout as much. I don't think you'll see the same amount of definition unless you went with a grout color that contrasted more with the edge color.

What gets my attention is how I can't find a seam line--your installer totally nailed the spacing! It's so even!

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    9 years ago

It looks to me as if the grout is covering the edges of the tile.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Can you post a close-up photo so we can see if the grout covers the edge of the tile?

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is best I could do.
  • jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looking at the close up, I think it looks great. You can see the lighter edges of the tile very clearly. Your tile guy did a great job.

jennifer2413 thanked jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
  • jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'll let it go...

• User
    9 years ago

Get a darker gray grout colorant, and the tiles will look less "lost". The workmanship is wonderful though.

jennifer2413 thanked User
  • PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    9 years ago

I agree with Sophie.....a light to medium grout would have, perhaps, complimented the tile somewhat better. Too much contrast.

jennifer2413 thanked Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
  • jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I asked for white. What color is that?

• User
    9 years ago

I agree that your contractor did a great job with the workmanship, but that a different color grout would probably have given you more the look you were aiming for. I would ask about a grout colorant in a grey color.

jennifer2413 thanked User
  • PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    9 years ago

We often make grout sample boards to get final approval before grouting. There are times when it seems like a good idea on paper but doesn't work out as intended. This is more so to the point when dealing with river rock, or 3 dimensional tiles.

• jennifer2413
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I'm just going to obsess over the uneven grout lines on my hex tile floor. ;-)

• dianalo
    9 years ago

If you saw my poorly installed floor tiles, you would kiss your installer (or offer more, lol). The bathroom is finally at the point that it needs redoing so I can rip the lousy job out that we inherited from the previous owner. Not sure what they were smoking and drinking when it was installed but if anyone has even the lightest ocd tendencies about symmetry and workmanship, they would understand how awful it is to look at when on the bowl or in the tub. It is so grating to the eyes.
    I agree that you could do a darker grout to have less contrast. I'd always shoot for a medium to dark color because from a practical standpoint, white grout is near impossible to keep white. Your tiles are lovely and they were installed beautifully, so once you darken them, it should be everything you had hoped for.

jennifer2413 thanked dianalo
  • PRO
    Leading Design
    5 years ago

The grout is too light. On penny rounds it's better to keep grout color close to the tile color.... Because two things happen if you don't. #1...with a heavy contrast you will see the 12 x 12 outline of each mesh mounted Penny round and #2...it will be very dizzy and and takes away from the beautiful basic textural aspect of a penny round.

• PRO
    Leading Design
    5 years ago

But, your installer did a nice job. Just get a grout colorant in a color closer to the tile color. I'm doing an entire vanity wall right now for a client in an indigo blue penny round and we're having this exact same discussion :-) I will put a sample board up for her showing her both ways contrast and noncontrast

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Amazing craftsmanship by your tile guy!

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Since the tiles edges are not as blue as the middle, the edges don't stand out from the grout as much

Yeah, it doesn't even look like the same tile. Looks like a different shade of blue.

Sometimes we can't help, but you can still be a cautionary tale.

• december14
    2 years ago

This is my new tile job -
    I am very upset. These areas
    Are discolored from the rest of the floor. It was just completed 4 days ago. I want to know if it can be corrected. It was put in by a contractor.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

• jlphillippi
    2 years ago

Your installer did a great job.  Enjoy your tile it looks great.  You had can installer that knew what he was doing.  Be thankful and enjoy!