mantis__oh

Fair Weather Blooms

mantis__oh
9 years ago

Many readers of this forum know that I tend a hospital bed, which
features daylilies and other plants. Right now is peak spring bulb
bloom. The budget is low, so there is a potpourri of bulbs that are
recurrent from previous years; planting a new design each year is not in
the picture. But the mix of colors can be dazzling.

Tulip Beauty of Spring was one new one this year.

Yellow tulip Big Smile is quite recurrent.

Daffodil Sentinel is surrounded by some straggler Red Impression.

A graveyard is across the street.

Comments (17)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pink and Salmon Impression with fragments of Negrita. The pink ones are a favorite among thieves.

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

The purple ones in the last pic are my favorites and they go well with the pink and Salmon Impression.

• booberry85
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous and sure to cheer up anyone that sees them. Your a gem for doing that for the hospital.

• shive
    9 years ago

Just glorious! Those photos make me want to shout, "I love Spring!"

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Garden plans sound good but I really like the drift of color!

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Outside of the small Lady Tulips which are more adapted to the south, the double white Mount Tecoma, and some unknown fringe cup yellow, my tulips seldom return. I so love the look of a mixed bed of tulips in the spring and yours Mantis is no exception. I particularly like the yellows and reds. That first shot, with the dafs mixed in, is my favorite. Although I've already pulled all my bulbs for this year, it's pictures like yours that get me excited over next..........Maryl

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Gorgeous as always. I so enjoy your the spring bulb pics. It inspired me 2 years ago to add some tulips and daffs to the garden. I will have to search Beauty Of Spring. :)

• dick_in_ohio
    9 years ago

I don't know where you are in Ohio but we are cutting back on our daylilies. We no longer can care for the big garden we have. If you would like some for your beds, let me know. We are southeast of Columbus.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Booberry, I am modestly compensated, but end up using over half that to buy new plants. Dick, I am in Athens. Beauty of Spring was a pleasant surprise, Julia. Really big and colorful without being garish. Maryl, most Darwin Hybrids here have a percentage of recurrence. I'm surprised, Kay, that Cum Laude has given you repeats, since most Triumph tulips do not. Brad, the purple is Negrita, and it usually gives a few years of bloom (unusual for a Triumph), but not always the same size. Debra, yes, it was exciting to see this bed burst into bloom.

• dick_in_ohio
    9 years ago

I am in Fairfield County, east of Pickerington. I would be glad to donate some daylilies for your beds. I also am digging some daffodils for friends and family this summer, if I get the chance.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dick. I do think we have quite a few daylilies, but perhaps you could message me later in the summer.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

mantis: How often are you dividing the tulips or replenishing them? I planted in the fall of 2013 many tulips and daffs. The tulips this year look to be more leaves then bloom spikes coming up. Thanks.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I add some new (mainly Darwin Hybrids) every year. A percentage of some varieties have lasted for years, but never with the same productivity as the first year. I never divide them; tulips just aren't continuously perennial here. White Emperor and Big Smile have been good repeaters. Negrita tends to repeat but with smaller blooms.

• lezro
    9 years ago

You do a marvelous job with those beds; I'm sure that you make visiting the hospital, never a good thing, a better thing for many people! I also work in a hospital, and must say that the graveyard across the street, while perhaps efficient, is really not a good idea/sign. Not that you have any say in that, I'm sure! Well, you are making the best of the situation. Congrats!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lezro, it's actually a clinic that is an extension of the hospital complex. The main hospital area is down the road. You're certainly right that I have little say. I have had to beg to get a "No Smoking" sign relocated out of a garden bed. Some worker stuck it in there simply because the ground was loose and there wouldn't have to be much digging. Ugh!

• brigarif Khan
    9 years ago

What a sight, I wish I could grow them, I have tried but climate does not allow.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus