Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gratzee

California is running out of water and we will have to lose our lawns,

gratzee
9 years ago
California is running out of water and we will have to lose our lawns, flowers, etc. What types of plants can you suggest for DRY gardens, and lawn areas? Thank you!
Dry Garden, Palos Verdes · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Bliss Garden Design, LLC
    9 years ago

Hi Gratzee - Yes, I know all too well and its heartbreaking to see a state I love very much in this predicament. I was just in Los Angeles and it is so brown for this early in the year. Your zone & location will dictate what plants are appropriate, but there are many choices that will be tougher as the hoses & irrigation have to be dialed down. The garden shown above is maritime Southern CA so more forgiving in terms of temperature than many locations in CA. In this location, we have found the succulents (except aeonium) and natives to be the least demanding in terms of water as well as a few key ornamental grasses such as Sesleria autumnalis. The challenge I think that is facing home gardeners is how to establish a new site appropriate garden replacing lawns and thirty plants without having to double up on the water usage initially. It always take more water to establish plants initially - even drought tolerant ones. Retaining key established large trees or shrubs many be the right approach since many of these require less water already and also doing the work in the cooler season where there may be some rainfall. Evaluating your automatic irrigation systems is also important - sprinklers are notorious for wasting water. I'd suggest working with the talented designers and the nurseries in your area to determine the right plants & approach for your site. I will say though after converting a classic "English" garden in Los Angeles to the less thirty and more site appropriate garden shown above, the results are breathtaking. The garden feels more at home in the surroundings and the wildlife loves it!